Hi everyone,

Check out my signature guys. Don't forget to read the Microsoft bashing jokes, vote on the thread on the type of software's you like and you must download the movie file. Its really good. I always see this movie whenever i'm feeling down. Tell me guys what you think of my signature?

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

It's a little long, don't you think?

I'm sure all of the stuff in there is pretty neat, but sometimes it's a little annoying to see a sig longer than the actual post. Think about those people who'd post "me too" in a thread, but have a >10 line sig...

I have seen worse, his is fine, especially if it makes you laugh.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Don't forget to visit the last link on my signature and vote

Richard West

Way too long. A good sig is no more than one line, 2 at most.

Like my new one in fact, if it shows up :)

>Don't forget to read the Microsoft bashing jokes
Microsoft bashing is cliche and annoying. Don't people have better things to think of and link to?

Write some text and link to the pages you want like mine :).

Nice stuff in ur sig, but not very attractive to the average surfer, and it can be comapacted by far. U need a link with a catchy title. Looks like u can use HTML around here, so u could make the links into short and snappy catchphrases instead of messes.

> Microsoft bashing is cliche and annoying. Don't people have better things to think of and link to?

Apparently not. Remember the average mental age of web users is somewhere in the lower teens, even if the average physical age is in the mid to late 20s.

how does that reflect mental age? and so what if its cliche, if nobody said it, then it wouldnt be cliche..It would be genius when somebody struck upon the idea of making fun of microsoft.

>how does that reflect mental age?
Failure to see the benefits of something simply because hating it is the fad doesn't lend itself well to a mature appearance.

>if nobody said it, then it wouldnt be cliche..
But everybody says it, so it is cliche. What's your point? If I could smack people over the internet you would be black and blue. A lot of things could be different, but they aren't.

>It would be genius
No, but I'll tell you what it was. When Microsoft bashing first started, it was mildly entertaining. But that was many a year ago, and now it's annoying. Especially since Microsoft has gotten much better over the years and you people can't seem to figure that out.

I dont think people hate it, people are going to poke fun at anything that crosses the public eye. I mean can you say david letterman, or jay leno are mentally 5 years old because they go on tv and make fun of the president or micheal jackson?

I mean none of these people that write these jokes want to go out and snipe bill gates just because he made a few good business moves. I use microsoft and I like it, but I dont mind reading a few jokes that make me laugh about him.

And my point with the cliche is, if he didnt find these jokes to be funny and share them with us, along with everybody else in the world sharing these jokes, it wouldnt be cliche.

The fact is the only reason you or jwenting are attacking these jokes is because you didnt find them to be funny. They made me chuckle and that is the reason I am defending it. I also like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not assume they are 5 years old because they posted a bunch of jokes. Maybe you need to lighten up and laugh some, and humor and laughter is not mental regression, its just having fun.

I dunno. The whole thing is pretty cliche.

This isn't a knock on Richard, either, I don't want him to think it is. Maybe I'm just jaded from having seen too many "If Micro$oft created foo, what would it be like?" types of jokes. I can see where some would consider them cliche, considering how there are as many variations on it as there are hairs on a person's hair.

I think it's a safe assumption to say that once someone is in the spotlight, they will always be subject to some ridcule. I think that's a given-- everyone will not agree to like someone/thing. But, what does contribute to my ho-hum "har-dee-har" attitude towards this stuff is that the premise of the jokes is cliche:

• Phase 1: Analogue Microsoft's negative licensing policy to something equally negative in the matter at hand
  • Phase 2: Joke about Microsoft's poor security history
  • Phase 3: ????
  • Phase 4: Profit!

Hey! Did you catch that! Did I just illustrate a cliche by using a cliche? Nifty!

But, my point is that bashing Microsoft has become cliche these days because everyone pretty well knows what they're about. Unless you can really come up with something creative to bash them, it's going to be tough to get anything out of me other than maybe a half-hearted chuckle.

>The fact is the only reason you or jwenting are attacking these jokes is because you didnt find them to be funny.
I found them funny the first few times, just like every other stale Microsoft joke (and I've heard most, if not all of them in some variation or another).

I also have an issue with people who insist on saying Micro$oft instead of being respectful enough to call something by its proper name. Ironically, these are the same people who chew your head off if you pronounce Linux wrong. What a bunch of hypocrites.

If you found it funny, fine. That just means you lack exposure, not that the jokes aren't old and boring.

Hi there,

I think by having such a long signature, you are violating the spirit of what a signature line is supposed to be. I hope that the "expanded version" of it will shrink when your contest has run it's course. As it stands now, it is running long, and will begin to annoy people as you participate in more forums.

As for the debate on Microsoft.... I am not a particular fan of their software or policy, but I have to admit that I earn a living fixing and maintaining their OS on our company's servers. While I feel the Mac is superior of a desktop, and Linux is superior of a server, the marketplace still favors Microsoft, and the exposure of the bugs within.

I think you can make a really safe and secure Windoze installation... it is going to take a lot of work and skill. I also think you can make a secure Linux box too, but that too requires skill in what packages to install and what to avoid. I also wish I could configure the SMB protocol to work on a different set of ports like I can with Appletalk, so that I can filter out the masses, and firewall a specific port from a specific address.

I do not like Microsoft Office and the macro viruses, nor the access to the address book for the viruses and scripts to run free. This is where I think Groupwise has a distinct advantage. I also think that IE has too many holes in it that allows for spyware and pop-up windows. Yes, later versions of IE have some ways to stop it, but who takes the time to properly configure it?

But in the end, we are going to do what we have to do. You can crash a linux box pretty easily if you have shell access, and know how to program certain scripts. You can crash a Windoze box by trying to sync with a palm pilot. You can crash a Mac by installing corrupted fonts, or running Quark Express (then again, Quark's boat is so full of holes it would be best referred to as a submarine). You can crash a network by feeding the switches unclean electrical power with little spikes and brown outs. Take your pic. You can even ruin your hardcopy by spilling Ketchup on the page. Pick your poison.

I would like to think that by studying heterogenius (look that word up if you do not understand it) networks is the best policy. Right tool for the right job.

Christian

I found them funny the first few times, just like every other stale Microsoft joke (and I've heard most, if not all of them in some variation or another).

*I also have an issue with people who insist on saying Micro$oft instead of being respectful enough to call something by its proper name. Ironically, these are the same people who chew your head off if you pronounce Linux wrong. What a bunch of hypocrites.

**If you found it funny, fine. That just means you lack exposure, not that the jokes aren't old and boring.

*Well, thats awesome you feel that way, but whats your point? I dont think anybody brought up "Mirco$oft" slang. Wait a minute.....I like Dr. Pepper, but I dont like it when Coca-cola makes a rip off of it, and calls it Mr. Pibb. What a bunch of hypocrites.

**You need to make arguments, instead of making unstable opinions. I find these kind of threads as more of a debate, rather than trying to make somebody feel badly. You cant tell me how much exposure I do or do not lack based upon a bunch of silly jokes, that is just ignorant.

>You need to make arguments, instead of making unstable opinions.
I made my arguments. Apparently you were too wrapped up in your own opinions that you failed to see them. The statement that you quoted is simply additional information to strike home my point.

>but whats your point?
If you can't see my point then no amount of logic will enlighten you.

>You cant tell me how much exposure I do or do not lack based upon a bunch of silly jokes
If you find them funny then you are either easily amused (which is becoming increasingly more likely as I read your mindless babbling) or you haven't been constantly bombarded by them and thus, lack exposure. Let me clarify because you can't seem to understand what I'm saying. I think you lack exposure to the jokes. I don't care what else you've been exposed to as it doesn't pertain to the discussion at hand.

As a parting statement because I'm going to plonk you and be on my way, I think that Microsoft bashing is old and stale. Aside from being old and stale, it's also degrading and ignorant since Microsoft is working valiantly to improve, yet nobody can look past their rosy world of loathing and hate to see it. In my opinion, one should give respect where respect is due, but maybe I'm just old fashioned or overly courteous.

*plonk*

Like my new one in fact, if it shows up :)

42 - The answer to the Universe and Everything - what more do you need in a signature

mines rubbish will change - who puts their system specs in there sig anyways

Alright Narue, believe what you have to believe. The fact is I dont feel very "plonked" because the opinions(arguments to you) you have stated, amount to nothing. Your not very argumentative and just a tad bit defensive. Just go about believing whatever you believe and I will go about believing whatever I believe. No amount of bickering is going to change either of our viewpoints. Believe me im not wrapped up in my opinions, I take into account everything you say, otherwise there is no reason to counter what you just posted. So I say good day to you sir.

Hi everyone,

What's happening guys? I put up that signature for people to laugh and the movie was for fun and have no intention of starting a war here.

I don't mean to be harsh but Narue i think sometimes you have to respect other people's opinions and stop knocking on people like the rest of us. This thread was created by me to find ways to improve my signature and i don't want it closed like the one you helped closed in the C/C++ forum

I find the 500 character limit for the signature to be a bit less. Do you guys think that the administartors need to increase it is just my signature a tad too long.

Richard West

>I find the 500 character limit for the signature to be a bit less.
500 characters is more than enough. A good rule of thumb is that if your signature is longer than most of your posts, it's too long. Forum goers like to see new and refreshing information, and because a signature doesn't change until you redefine it, a long one can easily detract from any threads you participate in.

>i think sometimes you have to respect other people's opinions
I respect that other people have opinions, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to challenge them when I feel they're wrong. And if you read the thread you'll find that I wasn't the first to "not respect other people's opinions". I think you should read the thread more carefully before assuming that the "war" was my fault.

But of course, you don't like me personally, so you'll attack me instead of jwenting. And since moderate_rock48 was is of a like mind with you, you certainly won't bitch about him. But that's okay, I don't mind being your lighting rod of hate. Conflict makes me stronger.

Narue, jwenting agreed with you. And I dont think anybody hates you, I dont hate you, I just dont see eye to eye with you on this issue. Freesoft's post was incredibly mild and there was nothing hateful in it. I think we all have been extremely juvenile fueding over something so trivial. Narue, nobody hates you.

Hi everyone,

But of course, you don't like me personally

That's not true Narue, i don't dislike you. Please don't turn this into something personal.

Lets get back on topic

Richard West

>I find the 500 character limit for the signature to be a bit less.

yes, I too think the limit should be a bit less than 500 characters. Maybe 100 should be enough...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.