I just got a job offer from a major software development company. It’s a software engineering position and pays 80k/yr. Is this a competitive salary? I have no idea how to go about determining what I’m worth based on my qualifications. I’ve looked at sites like glassdoor and payscale, but they just provide “average” salaries, which isn’t as useful as one might like. I just graduated with my Master’s degree in Computer Science and have a couple of internships under my belt.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

All depends on what country you are in.

if you are from zimbabwe it is like $10 a year

commented: hah +0

Thats being generous :D

That sounds okay to me. I would take it.

That sounds okay to me. I would take it.

Not me. I'd have to take a pay cut :(

Not me. I'd have to take a pay cut :(

Well considering im technically making -10k a year lol....

Well considering im technically making -10k a year lol....

Whats the secret to getting the flaws out? :)

i am from zim i make 5000 0000 0000 k a year lol, wich i can buy a car tire

wish

I guess you are from India for thats where you get paid this stuff. How big and how good is your company ? Depends on the scale of your company mate. IMO I would suggest you to take it up only if you do not have any offers at hand NOW.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses. I'm working from the US, so I'm looking for salary ranges for Software Engineers over here.

Well. . I'm in the U.S., I've had one internship, haven't graduated yet, and accepted 73k starting for when I graduate . . so I guess it depends on how much a Masters degree is worth. But also keep in mind that benefits can mean a whole lot. So if you're making 80,000 but have much better benefits than someone making slightly more, you might be better off. Also, keep interviewing. Interviewing can't hurt since it is a valuable skill, and if you get more offers, you can pick and choose which you think is the best.

It depends on location, but yeah, it's competitive. Do you want to work there?

so I guess it depends on how much a Masters degree is worth

Over here it doesnt make a huge amount of difference unless you are going into research or academia, they would rather see industry experience instead.

Recession is not over yet , so be happy whatever salary you are getting , more than 10% software engineers are job less now.

Recession is not over yet , so be happy whatever salary you are getting , more than 10% software engineers are job less now.

Don't listen to this troglodyte.

Over here it doesnt make a huge amount of difference unless you are going into research or academia, they would rather see industry experience instead.

8k difference isn't huge but it is pretty good. That is a nice chunk of change to have as a boost when you're just starting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.