Ever had trouble remembering if that website ended in .com, .net, or .org? Well, your troubles just got a whole lot worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7475986.stm

"We're running out of .com addresses? Let's just let people register whatever extension they want!" Brilliant ICANN, just brilliant.

And it looks like some of those TLDs are already being registered. For example: http://new.net/index_ext.tp?lang_id=english

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Why "death?"
This sounds more like a tremendous expansion.
I use bookmarks and favorites to avoid having to remember domains.

>I use bookmarks and favorites to avoid having to remember domains.
That's beside the point. If remembering names wasn't important, DNS wouldn't exist and the Internet would operate solely on IP addresses. The whole reason that the .com naming scheme works is because everyone uses it.

Oh, and what about the companies that want to protect their trademarks? Great, only $50,000 apiece.

What .com naming scheme?
Do you mean the .com,.edu,.org., .net, etc naming scheme?
If I were Coke or Ford, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about ford.sdf or coke.xxx.
Web sites still need content and relevance and that won't change.
If an off-the-wall domain hosts a good site, it will be found by the search engines, and that's all to the good.
Relax and enjoy the improvement.

The fact is that nearly half of all website domains are registered under the .com TLD. And if you were to ask most people what '.com' means, I bet most wouldn't be able to tell you that 'com' stands for 'commercial'. Right. The name itself means nothing, but because everyone uses it, it's become the de facto for domain names.

>f I were Coke or Ford, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about ford.sdf or coke.xxx.
Oh, but if you were Coke or Ford, wouldn't you worry about .ford or .coke?

That's complete nonsense.
.Org. net and .edu are readily recognized by most people, and would, of course, be inappropriate for commercial businesses.
The search engines are the key to the whole thing, and we'll all manage somehow.
I doubt anyone using .ford or .coke would make any inroads into either.

>.Org. net and .edu are readily recognized by most people, and would, of course,
>be inappropriate for commercial businesses.
That's not what I said. The fact is, TLDs are going to be registered faster than you can say ".internet", and for what? What was the whole point of this, expansion? This'll just confuse everyone.

I can also see an increase in internet fraud. If that site was mycreditcard.cc, guess what, I'll just register mycreditcard.ccd and no one will notice the difference. Groan.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.