US$ 14 a month
This is my speed :

SNIP

ehm... i can't post image here :D

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

12705 kbps download almost the same upload

wtf

Ok, I used the site Ancient Dragon provided and I got more reasonable results.

Newcastle - Australia
with Telstra i get 1.5MB/s down and 256kB/s up

Here is my speed, which is about right, I can't live with less than 20mbit now, and am really happy I get direct gigabit at my work :D

wow.... i am the slowest one.....

:( No. I pay around Rs. 1200 (approx $26) for my 512kbps connection. Its around Rs. 3000 for 1 mbps (that is approx $65).

Seeing as I'm paying for 2Meg broadband, I think I'm being ripped off!

494kbps down
227 kbps up

Pretty slow!

Newcastle - Australia
with Telstra i get 1.5MB/s down and 256kB/s up

WTF, that can't be right with Telstra. Their speeds are slower than what they advertise. I'm with Telstra and although their plan says 256kbps I only receive 25kbps down and 5kbps up. So looks like I'm the slowest one in the world even though I have broadband with Telstra Bigpond on one of their best plans. Can't wait till the government lays out those new cables then my Internet will be 100 times faster.

i pay US$14 for 64 kbps (8kBps) :(

WTF, that can't be right with Telstra. Their speeds are slower than what they advertise. I'm with Telstra and although their plan says 256kbps I only receive 25kbps down and 5kbps up. So looks like I'm the slowest one in the world even though I have broadband with Telstra Bigpond on one of their best plans. Can't wait till the government lays out those new cables then my Internet will be 100 times faster.

Do you have Optus cable in your area, it is way faster and cheaper that Bigpond?

Do you have Optus cable in your area, it is way faster and cheaper that Bigpond?

I'm not sure what cabling there is at my location although I'm guessing there is little fiber optics but I heard most companies are only cheap in the states city cbd and I don't exactly live in 100 meters of the states internet hub. So that makes the plans so expensive and so slow. O' well. Another 5 years and Telstra will probably no longer exist due to the governments new cabling crushing their services quality.

Yeah i had optus for a while there but after starting an internet and home phone bundle they only realised about 4 months in that they didn't actually service our area after all and that might be the reason our old phone company kept sending us bills. Thanks optus...

But yeah after all of the horror stories about Telstra i am pleasantly surprised about the service we do receive. It gets a proper 1.5MB
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/618787943.png[/IMG]

Well... close to..

Actually "Bob", while Telstra's Bigpond is pretty-much the most over-priced and over-rated IP in the entire country, Optus really isn't that much better. Also, you don't even live in Australia, so making assumptions as to the quality of various IP offering over here is nothing short of absurd!

Yes Optus in some cases has a superior infrastructure to Telstra, via their fibre-optic cabling... problem is that in the majority of areas where Optus offers their services, it is not their own infrastructure they are running off, but rather a re-branding of Telstra's own lines, often their old copper-line based infrastructure. Add to that the fact that Optus gets almost as many complaints, on a month by month basis, as Telsta themselves, and really it makes your suggestion look utterly ridiculous!

@Cwarn23
Have a look at Westnet. Although living at a distance from your local CBD, Telstra should have rolled out the basic infrastructure. Westnet (and their sister company iiNet) have also built on this network. Even though in most cases the Westnet internet service is basically working off Telstra's own hardware infrastructure, their prices are far friendlier and their customer service/support is the best I've ever encountered. Also, don't even bother with Dodo... a nightmare when it comes to end-user support.

I'm using speedtest.net. 384kbps commercial speed. I really hate it since often my download speed drops to 4kbps. I have no choice since there's only two internet provider in our place.

I also used speedtest.net and my speeds were 4.38 Mb/s download with 0.65 Mb/s upload.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.