Just wondering what other programmer do in their free time.

This is basically what I do in my free time :

1) Procrastinate ( of course )
2) Try to learn more things about programming
3) Practice programing
4) Play NBA2k9 and/or Call of Duty : modern warfare 2 (awesome games)
5) Chill with friends and laugh at stupid things
6) Maybe do some school work.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ddanbe
Featured Replies
    Narue 5,707   7 Years Ago

In my free time I kick puppies and shoot kids with a paintball gun. Read More

• [QUOTE]Alright there mate. I would definitely consider learning AS3. Fortunately for me I learned AS3 first so I won't have to unlearn any AS2, which is probably what you would have to do. AS3 is considered a lot like other object orientated languages. Plus the 3D stuff you can do … Read More

ddanbe 2,654   7 Years Ago

As little as possible. Read More

Just wondering what other programmer do in their free time.

Well in my free time I program all sorts of things. One of my latests projects that I have done is a dehasher. The more cpu you have the more you can dehash in shorter time. A project I am working on is a programming community dedicated to gamemaker (gml). Hopefully will be finished by the time gamemaker 8 is released.

And most importantly in my free time I like to help out on daniweb.

Mess about, generally with VMs, experimenting with both MS and open technologies.

Play games - generally lan with friends - Age of empires 2, Unreal tournamenent etc..

Watch iPlayer

Listen to music.

Code for my coursework.

In my free time I kick puppies and shoot kids with a paintball gun.

Sounds like a good hobby? Is there a team to join for this sort of
stuff.

1) mostly work, not much free time for much else thanks to taking an extra A-level
2) something arty, i do love photography - though i'm currently lacking a camera until christmas :P
3) Go iceskating whenever I can, or an icehockey session whenever there's one on
4) Coding, only really do C/C++ and Flash Actionscript 2, but you can see here. [link]
5) Be with friends
6) Read books and magazines

Play games - generally lan with friends - Age of empires 2, Unreal tournamenent etc..

Age of empires is a great classic, still have it :) haven't played it since I was about 12 though.

1) mostly work, not much free time for much else thanks to taking an extra A-level
2) something arty, i do love photography - though i'm currently lacking a camera until christmas :P
3) Go iceskating whenever I can, or an icehockey session whenever there's one on
4) Coding, only really do C/C++ and Flash Actionscript 2, but you can see here. [link]
5) Be with friends
6) Read books and magazines

Age of empires is a great classic, still have it :) haven't played it since I was about 12 though.

Age of Empires 2 - That's one of my favorite games too. I don't think the Microsoft Zone is running though so unfortunately we can't vs each other in Age of Empires 2. :( That's a shame.

In my free time, I:

• attend live soccer matches
  • Listen to music
  • Sleep
  • Solve algorithmic problems

I just realized I don't play computer games like most programmers do, maybe it's time I should move away from the linux console

Free time, what's that? :)

OK, I get even more tattoos, drink beer (real ale only, Spitfire and Betty Stoggs mainly), listen to music and go to gigs (rock/metal/goth stuff mainly), lust after motorbikes I can't afford and spend time with my family (4 kids, 2 grandkids) - oops, nearly forgot to mention that I support Leicester Tigers Rugby Club and go watch them whenever I can.

Edited by happygeek: n/a

real ale only, Spitfire and Betty Stoggs mainly

yes, spitfire is good. Bombardier is good too, as is Fullers and TEA.

I game, (try to) make games, watch hockey, skateboard, and pretty much do too much other stuff which drastically reduces the time I have to do anything. I don't know if that made sense.

SNIP

3) Practice programing

Edited by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

SNIP

3) Practice programing

Cool we have so much in common. Only if you were a girl.

Edited by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

well
Skateboarding,
Football(Soccer),
Programming,
go out with friends
and of course my precious PS3.

I was told it is safest to just say "I work for the Treasury Department" so i don't scare anyone away - I am going to be a customer service rep for the IRS.

In my free time i would like to go for my old friends. They are my best friends.

And don't forget to mention that you like to spam your signature-links in your free time! It appears to be quite a hobby of you :icon_frown:

I've recently taken to designing board games in my spare time. It seems like the only project I can actually complete without spending gobs of time looking for people to help just to have them bail anyway.

-listening to music...
-going out...drinking and meeting ppl.
-gym...eating healthy...boxing.
-Thinking bout AI...if I had all the time in the world i'd do this...after my love of history...
-Testing render engines...(don't know why i like this)
-Flash and actionscript 3.0.

-listening to music...
-going out...drinking and meeting ppl.
-gym...eating healthy...boxing.
-Thinking bout AI...if I had all the time in the world i'd do this...after my love of history...
-Testing render engines...(don't know why i like this)

I hope you don't take offense to this, but I hate history. I find it
boring and useless for me, at least. I am surprised that a CSE-er finds history intriguing, unless its the history related to CSE-ish things.

I hope you don't take offense to this, but I hate history. I find it
boring and useless for me, at least. I am surprised that a CSE-er finds history intriguing, unless its the history related to CSE-ish things.

Ha ha, no offence taken. We all have different likes and dis-likes.

I'm not really a CSE-er anyway, if at all. It's purely a passing interest. So to be honest the last three points in that list are really, things I USED to like doing. Ha ha.

Points 2 and 3 occupy most of my time at the mo.

Edited by iamthwee: n/a

I still use AS2, is it worth learning AS3 now? So far I've hardly seen something made with AS3 which can't be made with AS2, but I wouldn't mind learning a new language if it's good enough.

I still use AS2, is it worth learning AS3 now? So far I've hardly seen something made with AS3 which can't be made with AS2, but I wouldn't mind learning a new language if it's good enough.

Alright there mate.

I would definitely consider learning AS3. Fortunately for me I learned AS3 first so I won't have to unlearn any AS2, which is probably what you would have to do.

AS3 is considered a lot like other object orientated languages.

Plus the 3D stuff you can do outweighs all the cons...

Have you ever used stuff like papervision 3d? That's a whole heap of fun.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

Has a whole heap of vids for you to look at.

You can download cs4 trial for 30 days but it ain't cheap like...

Edited by iamthwee: n/a

Alright there mate.

I would definitely consider learning AS3. Fortunately for me I learned AS3 first so I won't have to unlearn any AS2, which is probably what you would have to do.

AS3 is considered a lot like other object orientated languages.

Plus the 3D stuff you can do outweighs all the cons...

Have you ever used stuff like papervision 3d? That's a whole heap of fun.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

Has a whole heap of vids for you to look at.

You can download cs4 trial for 30 days but it ain't cheap like...

Okay, cool :icon_razz:

In a way that gives me an advantage, I don't think I have to 'unlearn' much, I've been doing it for years, and probably will continue with it, but that wont stop me from trying a newer version.

Out of curiosity, have you uploaded anything you've made? And if you're interested [link] :P

I'll check out the site, seems good, thanks.

Votes + Comments
nice work
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.