Hello,

My Name is Donald, and I currently go to School at IUS, I am new too this Forum but I did do my best to search for this topic before posting.

Basically I have to choose before the end of this Semester what degree to go in. Over the last few years i have done as much research as i could, and the end result is a Computer Science Degree, Now here is my problem, I do not know what option to Choose.

Currently my School offers two options,
Computer Science- Information Systems option
Computer Science - Math/Science Option

Now my question is which one would be best, after reading a few forum topics on here it seems most people prefer a CS degree over a CIS degree, which is fine, but what is the difference between the CIS degree and the CS information systems option degree.

Some of the major arguments i have heard is the CIS degree doesn't offer the same programming classes as the CS degree, however the CS information option has the exact programming classes that the CS math/science option has.

So im coming to you for help,

The main reason im asking, is my Math is not very strong, Im not going to lie, the information systems option looks appealing bc it is 3 less math classes, however if it is the better degree i would work harder in this subject....but does it really matter? Is a CS degree a CS degree. Or are they different.

Here is a Link to the degree requirements for both options:
http://ius.edu/computerscience/article/degree

i also would like to go for my masters (offered at IUB) but it depends on how i feel once i get my Bachelors.

Please help :)

Donald

PS: My computer interests are programming, Linux, Network Security, and of course call of duty: Black ops

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Did you not read the requirements in the link you posted? They state, in one sentence, the difference between the two degrees. Choose the one that best suits your interests. You should also discuss this with your school counseler because he/she is in the best position to guide you.

Did you not read the requirements in the link you posted? They state, in one sentence, the difference between the two degrees. Choose the one that best suits your interests. You should also discuss this with your school counseler because he/she is in the best position to guide you.

I did read the info provided, however i mean the terms od the degree, not there intended purpose, both offer programming solutions, ither way the end result will be up too me, however i wanted to know over all the difference of degrees,

and as far as talking to the counselor, you ever feel like you car sales man is pushing you into something you might not like....

Look at the list of courses for each degree. The CS route requires a lot of math and is probably best if you plan to get higher degrees. The CIS is more business and programming related, with courses in business and information systems (e.g. database management).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.