You can impound their car, they'll drive a friend's or family member's car.

Then their friends/family are enabling them because DUI is not considered a very serious offence in our culture, part of the general disregard (or even admiration) of bad-behaviour done while drunk particularly among youth (and the adults trying to recapture their youth).

Member Avatar for diafol

In USA we alreasy have too many prisons and too many people in prison for petty crimes, such as drug users.

Is DUI a petty crime?

Maybe a better solution is to reinstate the firing squad and just shoot them.

Well, I'm against the death penalty, but for repeat DUI offenders I'd make an exception.

Well, I'm against the death penalty, but for repeat DUI offenders I'd make an exception.

I am with the death penalty for a lot of crimes but in cases like this, it wouldn't be smart to kill them.

I favor death penalty when DUI results in death of other people. In USA it takes too long to administer the death penalty -- 15-20 years, or more. Let's cut that down to 15-20 DAYS instead of years.

Member Avatar for diafol

I am with the death penalty for a lot of crimes but in cases like this, it wouldn't be smart to kill them.

Seriously, I wouldn't like to see the DP administered at all, but repeat DUI offenders obviously don't respond to the "slaps on the wrist" approach. Welfare payments stopped, mandatory employment termination, mandatory disulfiram administration, a premium tax to be payed when the offender tests positive for alcohol, gelding...

Hit the idiots where it hurts. These guys (and gals) kill thousands every year. The message just isn't getting through.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.