Hi All, had a bit of time to myself and started reading some poetry (out of choice!). This was prompted by the centenary of one of our greatest poets (in English anyway), Dylan Thomas. Hadn't read "Do not go Gentle into that Good Night" since I was in school. Reading it again bent me into a few shapes. I've been reading the old love classics by Donne and O'Reilly ("A White Rose"), but chasing poetry on the internet leaves me cold. Does anybody have any particular favourites?

Votes + Comments
Very Good
Contributors
Replies
Views
3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joseCRJ
Featured Replies

The Ancient Mariner is one I like a lot. Read More

• The only poetry I've been able to stomach was Grooks by Piet Hein, unless you count Asimov's Lecherous Limericks. Read More

• Like others, I'm not a big buff of poetry. I guess I get my dose of poetry from well-written song lyrics. English is not my first language, so that plays into it too. I do remember, however, that during the teenage period when I was a hardcore fan of The … Read More

ddanbe 2,705   3 Years Ago

I school we had to read some of Shakespeare's sonnets. I think he wrote 121 of them. Just marvellous! I don't get it how you can create rhyming beauty in such a strict form as a sonnet. You must be a master to be able to do that. Read More

The only poetry I've been able to stomach was Grooks by Piet Hein, unless you count Asimov's Lecherous Limericks.

I have to say I'm not much of a poetry afficionado, but I do know a good source that might help you with the chasing...go to www.gutenberg.org. Lots of books (literature, poetry, a whole bunch of great stuff!) and it's searchable.

And no, I'm not the owner of the site...but I did do a short stint as a transcriber back in the day.

And I LOVED Asimov's limerick book!

Like others, I'm not a big buff of poetry. I guess I get my dose of poetry from well-written song lyrics.

English is not my first language, so that plays into it too.

I do remember, however, that during the teenage period when I was a hardcore fan of The Doors, I got a copy of Jim Morrison's poem collection book and found it pretty wonderful, and much better than the lyrics of his songs, which were already pretty good to begin with.

Other than that, I haven't really delved too much into poetry beyond what I was forced to in English class, which was pretty rudimentary, given that they were "second language" courses.

I loved the Ancient Mariner when I was in school. Will give that another look - forgot all about it. JimMo - love his music, never read his poetry - thanks Mike, will have a look.

The poetry of Milton´╝îShelley is very classic and amazing.you can find the most famous piece of theme,it is really deserve to be read.

Edited by Ostsee

Poetry is one thing in life that I find enjoyable. I love reading it and do somewhat consider myself a poet. Im particularly fond of love poetry which I mostly dabble in, I guess it's easy when your trying swoon a girl

I guess it's easy when your trying swoon a girl

Don't you mean "when you're trying to woo a girl"? Care to share any of your poems?

I'm not much of a fan of poetry. But I recently went out and purchased and read Romeo and Juliet. There's some great stuff in there.

I school we had to read some of Shakespeare's sonnets. I think he wrote 121 of them. Just marvellous! I don't get it how you can create rhyming beauty in such a strict form as a sonnet. You must be a master to be able to do that.

Same. Sonnet 116. Love that. Think he wrote over 150 of them.

@diafol if I shared my poems with you then you would have just as much success as me and I can't have that ;)

Votes + Comments
Heh heh. V. good

I like the Kipling and Frost.

If I may, a Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa, you know? For me the greatest Portuguese poet. (is translated into English).

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.