hi all,

this amazed me, how much people were willing to pay for a phone you can buy new for £120!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-D600-A1-condition-3-months-old-UNLOCKED_W0QQitemZ220033984367QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3312QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what do you guys think - scam or just some odd-balls willing to pay way over the odds?

darren :cool:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Wow... that is a lot. Whats different about it? Apart from the software disk and the bluetooth not working?

exactly, i brought one brand new earlier from carphone warehouse for £140, heaven knows what those guys were on lol like ten times the value, but the first or second bid was £600? mad

That's eBay, people are always paying silly prices there.
Remember that many people are addicted to shopping and they get a sense of achievement from "winning" an auction.
They often don't know the retail price of what they're buying, sometimes don't even know what they're buying, and/or get swept away in the competition to "win" and loose track of the value of what they're bidding on.
Auction houses survive because of that, if people were always sensible in their bids most auctions wouldn't sell anything because the buyers would deal directly with the sellers rather than compete with each other.

That's eBay, people are always paying silly prices there.
Remember that many people are addicted to shopping and they get a sense of achievement from "winning" an auction.
They often don't know the retail price of what they're buying, sometimes don't even know what they're buying, and/or get swept away in the competition to "win" and loose track of the value of what they're bidding on.
Auction houses survive because of that, if people were always sensible in their bids most auctions wouldn't sell anything because the buyers would deal directly with the sellers rather than compete with each other.

they're all crazy, especially as i got one yesterday from a proper phone store for little over 10% of what they paid for a used one :lol:

heck, I've seen people paying thousands of dollars for information on where to buy a new digital camera.
Had they just gone to the nearest dealership and asked they'd have had that same information for free.

As a sidenote it must be mentioned though that those auctions were fraudulent, people were led to believe they were bidding on the camera itself unless they read the entire description (deliberately made extremely long and convoluted) very closely.

Good point i never really thought about that before tbh..:)

Good point i never really thought about that before tbh..:)

there is so many of those on ebay at the moment

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.