What kind of music do "geeks" listen to, while performing their geeky duties?

As a half-geek, I prefer rolling trancey bass-like techno-esque outings by bands such as the Prodigy, and hella-hardcore pulse techno like Angerfist. However, I may be caught enjoying a bit of evokative ultra-cheese pop, by the likes of Apoptygma Berzerk and Echo Image. At times, I may listen to re-jigged techno-classical. And sometimes, hard-rock/metal; System of a Down, Stratovarius, maybe even Cradle-of-Filth.

As a favorite, it's gotta be techno-dash-trance, but, it's gotta be just right...

Cast your votes.

Votes + Comments
cool
Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

What kind of music do "geeks" listen to, while performing their geeky duties?

As a half-geek, I prefer rolling trancey bass-like techno-esque outings by bands such as the Prodigy, and hella-hardcore pulse techno like Angerfist. However, I may be caught enjoying a bit of evokative ultra-cheese pop, by the likes of Apoptygma Berzerk and Echo Image. At times, I may listen to re-jigged techno-classical. And sometimes, hard-rock/metal; System of a Down, Stratovarius, maybe even Cradle-of-Filth.

As a favorite, it's gotta be techno-dash-trance, but, it's gotta be just right...

Cast your votes.

When I code I only usually listen to Iron Maiden. Empowering, epic, brilliant. Overall I like:

• Mozart
  • Ian Brown (The Stone Roses)
  • The Sisters of Mercy
  • Buckethead
  • Duran Duran
  • Prince
  • The Grateful Dead
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Syd Barrett
  • Tiger Army
  • Coheed and Cambria
  • The Cure
  • The Pogues
  • Tom Waites
  • FisherSpooner
  • Beastie Boys
  • The Petshop Boys
  • RAMMSTEIN
  • Music from video games: Final Fantasy, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Mushashi, RuneScape
  • Everything (EVERYTHING) 80's

Just to name a very few...

Regards,

~Matty

Music from video games: Final Fantasy, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Mushashi, RuneScape

Ah.. I forgot that =P I got badass remixes of some later FF tunes,

it's a pity it's easier, or sometimes only possible, to find MIDI versions of alot of good videogame music. Useful for remixes, not so good for general listening.

Oh, I did not see the poll. I voted for Electronica && Metal-- I guess it let me do that LOL.

Yes, most vid game mp3's I find are not great quality and actually quite twitchy and chirpy, but I do love them so. I suffer through their imperfections, unlike any other mp3's that must be reasonably perfect to be burned for my library.

I like many types of music and have gone through many transitions over the years. I always come back to 80's Goth\ New Wave stuff (Sisters, The Cult, New Order) that I grew up with through high school. It always takes me to a nice place. I listened to Rap for many years (up until this Summer), but I came to the point where I realized its degenerate and violent\ Masochistic lyrics were just too much to tolerate anymore. I had to put it down. I still love the beats and the synths of Rap though.

I think eventually I will just listen to Classical (and Iron Maiden ;) )

Cheers,
sharky_machine

I prefer classical (but don't like opera) and other pop music of my day. I hate most of the music made during the 80s and 90s, but my parents said the same thing about my generation's music too. I don't watch music videos very often but the ones I have seen were pretty good, so I suppose the music being written today is better than the music during the past 20 years.

The best test of any music is the test of time. If a song is still heard 20 years from now then it is probably a good one.

I mostly listen to rap, currently there are some nerd rappers who make so called "nerdcore" where I listen a lot to.

Link to nerdcore song, I just love the C++ reference :P. It are the lyrics but click on download song to hear it. There isn't that much good nerdcore though.

I mostly listen to rap, currently there are some nerd rappers who make so called "nerdcore" where I listen a lot to.

Link to nerdcore song, I just love the C++ reference :P. It are the lyrics but click on download song to hear it. There isn't that much good nerdcore though.

Thanks much for the link-- great lyrics! :cheesy:

"I control my flow better than TCP"

"Your mom circulates like a public key,
Servicing more requests than HTTP." :twisted:

"I'm an unsigned long int and you're an 8-bit char." :eek:

Nice.

Regards,
~sharky_machine

About the only music I listen to is Pop and Rock. Favorite artists include U2, Switchfoot, Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson. I also have a huge collection of classic rock which I used to listen to lots, but not so much any more.

I listen to weird stuff, like Angels and Airwaves, Plus 44, Blink-182, Weird Al, stuff like that. Somehow it helps me concentrate.

I listen to punk & metal, it helps me relax although that might sound strange...

I suppose the music being written today is better than the music during the past 20 years.

hmm..Perhaps with bands like coldplay and muse or what are you reffering to?

Edited by Nick Evan: n/a

I listen to punk & metal, it helps me relax although that might sound strange...

hmm..Perhaps with bands like coldplay and muse or what are you reffering to?

i'm going to see muse tomorrow, if i can get a ticket from a tout at wembley =P
i also play in a punk/jazz-ish band www.myspace.com/thenowherenears.. we don't practise much though :rolleyes:

Over the last week or two...

REM
Johnny Cash
Cranberries
Pink Floyd
Bach
Strauss
Townes van Zandt
Cowboy Junkies

and many more.

Pink Floyd

Since you're from the Netherlands too: Roger Waters is coming to Arnhem this spring, ticketsales have already started!

I love pop, latin and indipop and i hate rock, metal and rap.
Ricky Martin and Enrique Iglesias are my favorite singers.

Seen the announcement. If I remember correctly the ticket prices were insane.

Indeed, I've payed 55 euro ( about $70 ) for a seat, but I've seen him before and it's worth the money

Indeed, I've payed 55 euro ( about $70 ) for a seat, but I've seen him before and it's worth the money

Are you kidding? $70 is nothing for a rock concert! Here, you can easily spend ~$100 on a ticket for a popular rock group.

Someday, I'd like to go to a U2 concert before they retire.

I paid £40 (~ $80) for a far-from-perfect seat at Muse yesterday... Still, I bought it from a random at the train station at the very last minute... so, I can't complain :)

I play for a few brass bands and wind bands on euphonium and trombone,

But...

I also play guitar and piano.

So

i like classical music and rock and all that sort of stuff.

I like everything from the Police to Naughty by Nature,hardrock,metal,techno, rap thats saying something other than how much money they've or negative subjects.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.