Before Darwin, evolution as a hypothesis (Note: Hypothesis, not theory. Scientifically, something's not allowed to reach the theory stage until it has been tested and at least semi-proven) allowed for the existence of God as the designer and planner of evolutionary pathways. (Think dog-breeding for a possibly more-understandable example.) Darwinian evolution, which is what most people think of today when they hear the term, rejects that option, insisting that everything happened completely randomly, without any form of outside interaction.

And the Cambrian Explosion does fly in the face of Darwinian evolution. If Darwin was correct, and everything does happen in moderate micro-steps, there simply wasn't enough time for what happened during the Cambrian Explosion to occur...yet the fossil record shows that it did.

And @ 'Stein: I apologize about getting you confused with someone else. I'll do my best not to do that again.

And @ 'Stein: I apologize about getting you confused with someone else. I'll do my best not to do that again.

Not a problem. :)

And the Cambrian Explosion does fly in the face of Darwinian evolution. If Darwin was correct, and everything does happen in moderate micro-steps,

From what I recall, Darwin didn't give a specific description of evolution (instead, simply saying that they change over time). However, there are at least 2 subtheories that I know of that debate how evolution occured: 1) where it occurs sporadically, in large spurts; and 2) the way you mentioned, in micro-steps.

Merry Christmas everyone--I'll be back after Christmas!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.