Check this out, this is the brightest supernova ever viewed. More images can be seen here.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

"Recent supernova?!?!?" It happened some 240 million years ago! :icon_twisted:

That's freakin' kool!!!

That's freakin' kool!!!

In the cosmic scheme of things that is a blink of the eye.

That's freakin' kool!!!

Light Rays: "Sorry we're late, we got here as fast as we could!"

In the cosmic scheme of things that is a blink of the eye.

hardly, given the estimated age of the universe of 5-10 billion years.
At the short end of the scale that makes it 5% of the age of the universe ago, at the long end 2.5%.
If a human lives for 100 years, that makes it 2.5 to 5 years on the life of a human being, quite a bit more than the blink of an eye which takes about 1/20 of a second :)

That is awesome ~ my kind of physics!
I love space!
Nice find dcc

At the short end of the scale that makes it 5% of the age of the universe ago, at the long end 2.5%.
If a human lives for 100 years, that makes it 2.5 to 5 years on the life of a human being, quite a bit more than the blink of an eye which takes about 1/20 of a second :)

Who's confining this to our back yard?;)

lol the people in the god thread wont be happy with that estimate

oh, I've seen them explain away the age of the universe with statements like "god's years are longer than human years", in other words 7 days for god are 10 billion years for us...

yeah they tried to prove to me that somehow (thier) science makes the universe 6000 years old. Yeah, right.

according to very accurate tests ~ the earth is way older than that
they are sooooooo wrong

i know they are silly (but dont tell them i said that lol)

they are sooooooo wrong

Would these happen to be the various forms of radioisotope dating systems? If so, they're not necessarily accurate; we don't know for certain whether or not the proportion of the radioisotopes to baseline isotopes has always remained a constant; we don't know whether or not the sample was originally 'contaminated' with one or more of the decay products, etc.

they are sooooooo wrong

If a god with a sense of humour planted those fake dinosaur bones he could also have planted that fake geological "evidence".

If a god with a sense of humour planted those fake dinosaur bones he could also have planted that fake geological "evidence".

And now a word from Scientology.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.