I went into Boston the other day, and we walked by several men playing on a "ghetto" drumset, consisting of tin cans and plastic bins. What is correct name for this genre of music? My friends all said it was Calypso, but I don't think it is. Does anyone know the name of the genre and/or anywhere where one can download tracks of this style of music?

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

I did Google it. And I don't see why you should insult someone's intelligence by linking to Google.

Google doesn't give any results on it.

commented: Suggestions are not insults. -2
commented: She thinks you're dumb. +6
commented: How is this insulting... she was obviously being nice. +0
commented: You shouldn't get downrepped by a person for agreeing with that person. Rashakil Foil told me that he was rite :) +2

I did Google it. And I don't see why you should insult someone's intelligence by linking to Google.

Google doesn't give any results on it.

I wasn't insulting you... ??

It was just a suggestion.

commented: now you know how i felt when i gave you a suggestion and you bad repped me ;-) +2
commented: I found it insulting. Stop downrepping me for an opinion. +0

Steel drums?

Thats what the ones made out of old oil barrels are called (you know, the ones that are popular in the caribbean)

commented: You have no idea what the OP is talking about, but chimed anyway. -1
commented: He's an idiot. I'll give you good rep to cancel out his bad. +11
commented: Disregard Rashakil's comment. +3

WTF I hate you rashkil! i offered a sensible reply and got a bad rep for my trouble.

For the record Linux, I don't think you're dumb.
Please disregard Rashakil's ignorance.

I am trying to help here .. dont bad-rep me <.<

so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres_of_music:_A-F

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres_of_music:_G-M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres_of_music:_N-R

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres_of_music:_S-Z

All kinds of music are listed in those links .. and check http://www.numusiczone.com/genre.php?genre=Calypso as well .. maybe its the genre u are talking about O_O there are bins, cans and all u mentioned above ..

All the best ..

commented: ;) - jbennet +14
commented: Good Answer. +8
commented: ;) +3
commented: Good answer +2
commented: I like your character, and your avatar's not bad either :) Peace Be with You +11
commented: If everybody else gave you rep, then why shouldn't I chip in? +5

I don't know...
Try googling it. ;o)

linux is correct for the most part. While it was a "suggestion", it's not as if you didn't expect him to think of trying that first, right? By suggesting something simple, you'd better be sure that it works. Or perhaps it's just the way you worded your post. Subtle things, like providing a link to Google; it makes it sound like the OP doesn't know what Google is.

I went into Boston the other day, and we walked by several men playing on a "ghetto" drumset, consisting of tin cans and plastic bins.

Steel drums?

Thats what the ones made out of old oil barrels are called (you know, the ones that are popular in the caribbean)

And you wonder why you get negative reputation. :icon_rolleyes:

Please disregard Rashakil's ignorance.

And how is Rashakil Fol ignorant?

Regarding the original topic: I'm not really that knowledgeable about that type of music; the closest that has already been mentioned in this thread is probably Calypso. If you're really interested, I'd suggest visiting a forum more specialized in foreign music.

linux is correct for the most part. While it was a "suggestion", it's not as if you didn't expect him to think of trying that first, right? By suggesting something simple, you'd better be sure that it works. Or perhaps it's just the way you worded your post. Subtle things, like providing a link to Google; it makes it sound like the OP doesn't know what Google is.

Okay you may be right, and I see what you are saying but I sincerely didn't mean it to be an insult.
What does OP stand for?

And how is Rashakil Fol ignorant?

Rashakil is ignorant for this reason: he told linux that I thought he was dumb. Although nothing I suggested even swayed to that kind of statement. All it does is create conflict. So if it wasn't ignorance... was it simply stupidity?

She thinks you're dumb.

>I sincerely didn't mean it to be an insult.
I believe you, but next time if it's something that's not so definitive, google it yourself to see if anything can be found with it.

>What does OP stand for?
Original Poster. It's a common forum abbreviation.

>he told linux that I thought he was dumb.
And you've never called him anything dumb or idiotic before?

>Although nothing I suggested even swayed to that kind of statement.
While I'm not offended by someone providing a link to Google to me, there are many people who do take this as an insult (if it doesn't work). If you aren't completely sure it's going to work, be safe and check it first.

You would actually be amazed about the number of posters who have never tried doing a proper search

In that case, linking to google with a proper search term would have been more like it since its likely that with a proper search term, the results would have been more rewarding. Linking to just Google, makes no sense.

>he told linux that I thought he was dumb.
And you've never called him anything dumb or idiotic before?

Umm of course not! I don't even know him.

Umm of course not! I don't even know him.

I was referring to Rashakil, not linux. In other words, if Rashakil Fol tells linux that you think he's dumb, I suppose that justifies you in saying that Rashakil's an idiot?

Regardless, think of it this way: you would probably think of someone as a fool if they used the internet and didn't know what Google was, correct? So by linking to Google, you're basically saying (I know it was unintentional) that the OP is in fact, a fool. So Rashakil's comment isn't actually that far off.

Just so you know for next time. I think ~s.o.s~ pretty much says it all here:

In that case, linking to google with a proper search term would have been more like it since its likely that with a proper search term, the results would have been more rewarding. Linking to just Google, makes no sense.

I was referring to Rashakil, not linux. In other words, if Rashakil Fol tells linux that you think he's dumb, I suppose that justifies you in saying that Rashakil's an idiot?

Regardless, think of it this way: you would probably think of someone as a fool if they used the internet and didn't know what Google was, correct? So by linking to Google, you're basically saying (I know it was unintentional) that the OP is in fact, a fool. So Rashakil's comment isn't actually that far off.

Actually it is completely 'off.' Rashakil had no right to tell linux that I thought he was dumb, which I in fact was not trying to imply. (Haven't I already said that??...) Rashakil just simply 'put words in my mouth.' So you can stop trying to "justify" your friend's mistake.
And btw: I've had plenty of people tell me to look a certain subject up on google and I had no hard feelings against them for that statement.

lets all calm down.....

i think its time to mark this thread as solved.

i agree ~ there aint much more to discuss is there?

>Rashakil had no right to tell linux that I thought he was dumb
True.

>which I in fact was not trying to imply. (Haven't I already said that??...)
And I've said several times that I believe you. However, you did unintentionally imply that you thought he was dumb. Just because Rashakil said what your post was portraying doesn't mean he's ignorant. Rude, yes. But definitely not ignorant.

>So you can stop trying to "justify" your friend's mistake.
Who said he was my friend?

>lets all calm down...
I think we're calm.

rashkil is a smart guy he just rubs people up the wrong way sometimes.

haha.. hey JB i remember you saying that you hated Rashkil? What happened now?

commented: actually you bad repped me first with your "suggestion" lol. ;o) +11

I hate him still. I just think that he is misunderstood ;)

commented: dont hate him dont hate him :o +4
commented: Dude, I seriously couldn't agree with you more. The hate part, I mean. +8

:D misunderstood sometimes. Not always JB.

Same here.

I didn't mean for this to become Dramafest 2007... Anyways thanks for all of your help. Calypso music includes singing, which isn't really what I was after (I was after just the drumming...), however I do appreciate the replys.

<resolved>

commented: Don't whine about me giving you bad rep, it was a good reason. -2
commented: Enough. No need to keep handing out -rep for pointless reasons. +13

They are called Steel drums. They are used in Calypso and Reggae music.

I said that!

and i got a bad rep for it!

>So you can stop trying to "justify" your friend's mistake.
Who said he was my friend?

Same here.

haha.. poor rashakil is hated by all ;) jp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.