I am new to this daniweb website wotnot and i was wondering. what is computer networking and what is computer science are these subjects hard, i would really like to know as i wish to take them up in uni this september. dont make your explanation too complex, as i am only 19.

christina>you commented: Welcome to Daniweb, but try to read the rules before posting. :) +13

Recommended Answers

All 61 Replies

Computer networking -- allowing two or more computers to talk to each other via serial ports or ethernet cables.

Computer Science: the study of computers and how they relate to people. That's a terribly broad description because there are many many specializations you can study.

well yes i knew that but i was wondering, if you had maybe studied this and if you could tell me what the course entails,and if its difficult.

>dont make your explanation too complex, as i am only 19.
19 easily makes you an adult, so that's not an excuse to pretend you're stupid. Perhaps "I'm not too familiar with the topics, so don't make your explanation too complex".

>if you could tell me what the course entails,and if its difficult.
Look at the course syllabus for details on what you're expected to learn. And yes, both topics are rather difficult. You'll probably find computer science more difficult as it goes far deeper into theories and mathematics.

commented: This is for putting up with that ass**** =) +7

I am much happier with that reply than the first, thank you.

>I am much happier with that reply than the first, thank you.
Then I'll be sure to remove my helpful first reply and let you enjoy my useless second reply. I wouldn't want you to be unhappy. Perish the thought!

oh yes. and for you information, if i might add, that actually i wouldnt be asking for course details, if they were written somewhere i could easily read them....

That's interesting. I don't know of a school that refuses to give out a syllabus. And if one doesn't, another will and the courses tend to be very similar. Maybe you're just not looking hard enough. Or you're lying.

i am not lying, it was a ucas website and there is no syllabus on there

Maybe you were using the same selective reading techniques there that you've been using with my posts. :icon_rolleyes:

oh yes. and for you information, if i might add, that actually i wouldnt be asking for course details, if they were written somewhere i could easily read them....

Damn man, you have a very bad attitude and I would have to agree w/ narue that you act like a little kid.. Almost every school does in fact have a syllabus and required course list...

yeah, it's not that hard to find, choose a uni you like the look of. If they offer the course there WILL be a full syllabus on there. And you don't want a complex explanation when you're 19?? Cripes what is the world coming to.

>Cripes what is the world coming to.
It's been this way for a while. Everyone wants things free, fast, and with as little effort from themselves as possible.

i'm all for that, but telling everyone you're an adult age then saying "keep it dumb" is rather.. over the top...

Welcome to Daniweb!!

Good luck in September :)

commented: Good attitude. +13

dont make your explanation too complex, as i am only 19.

wtf? If you are19 and want to be treated like a six year old than maybe you need to rethink your decision on going to college.

I think we are making a mountain out of a grain of sand.

Sheep need a shepherd, and when I'm the shepherd, nitpicking is a way of life.

Sheep need a shepherd, and when I'm the shepherd, nitpicking is a way of life.

Every shepherd needs a dog, I would not like to be in its paws. ( dogs don't wear shoes, so I can't use it )

naw, yall missed the profanity post that he directed at narue.. I quoted it, and responded.. but it was deleted by a mod..

This dude is an ass, and personally, I don't think any of us should help him since he has been so damn rude.. I mean hell, we put our time and effort into this community, and the least the noobs can do is be considerate.

naw, yall missed the profanity post that he directed at narue.. I quoted it, and responded.. but it was deleted by a mod..

Well,
1) if Narue hadn't accused him of lying (which most people would take offense at)
2) then accuse him of "selective reading", implying stupidity
3) and everyone telling him he should be able to find the course description when it's possible it may not be on the website he was looking at.

Although the responses may have been directed toward him for a reason, IMAO most were unnecessarily harsh and not conducive to having a member return. With the attitude thrown at him, it's no wonder he objected.

It's been nice knowing you, Kenya19. See you elsewhere.

Hes just incapable of using google. He said he checked the UCAS website. I myself am going through the UCAS program right now. All the course details are in the prospectuses for each university.

Well,
1) if Narue hadn't accused him of lying (which most people would take offense at)
2) then accuse him of "selective reading", implying stupidity
3) and everyone telling him he should be able to find the course description when it's possible it may not be on the website he was looking at.

Well,
1) That happened after he started using profanity.
2) That happened after he started using profanity.
3) That happened after he started using profanity.

My first post, after which he immediately attacked me with no posts from anyone else inbetween, was hardly provocative enough to warrant that kind of response. Before his outburst, we were helping him solve his problem. I suggested that part of his post was silly and offered alternative phrasing. After his outburst, he deserved everything he got.

It's funny, really. Something like "that's not an excuse to pretend you're stupid" causes people to throw profanity at me, but all of the other wicked things I say go unchallenged. Maybe I should be a royal bitch all of the time, because the only time people get bothered is when I'm being mild.

Yea, Walt his first rude post occurred right after Narue's advise, which I found to be good initial advise considering his problem. For some reason he took offense to her post, and responded with very rudely. For this reason, we have been 'harsh' with him. And is jbennet said, if he would have listened to the advise, he would have easily found his answer.

Well,
Maybe I should be a royal bitch all of the time, because the only time people get bothered is when I'm being mild.

haha... "royal bitch" :D

I did a two year course on networking ( cisco online networking acadamy program ) but I dont exactly understand the term computer science so i shal stay away from that.

Here is a rough overview of computer networks. The network is divided into seven abstract layers. Here follows an overview of the lower layers.

1. These are all your wires and media. Infrared and radio signals are also dealt with here. The basic wire of modern networks is unshielded twisted pair wire.

2. This is media access control. Basically your wire or signal is a media and you need to access it. The network card does this function. Different protocols operate on this layer. For example Token ring and the most popular ethernet. Here you will also find switches which is basicaly a multiport device which accepts wires from a number of computers and the computers communicate with each other over the wires and the switch.

3. This is what networking is actually all about. Here you find protocols and devices which is responsible for making sure that a message send from a computer in USA make its way correctly to its destination in say Europe or Japan. They are called routers. Here you will learn a number of protocols as well as ip addressing. basically every computer on a network has an ip address akin to a human home address.

from here onward you deal with software. the lower three layers are hardware layers. I shall stop here but if you are really interested you can find more info on the web. look for the Open systems interconnect.

In addition networks are divided into basically WAN and LAN

LAN Local area network. This is a limited geographical area. Probably an office or at most a campus. The sppeds here are very high and you will mostly get switches

WAN Wide area network. These are over larger areas. It could be an office but most likely it is a country or even the world. Speeds here are much slower(uses mostly serial ports). This is where you will find most routers.

causes people to throw profanity at me, but all of the other wicked things I say go unchallenged. Maybe I should be a royal bitch all of the time, because the only time people get bothered is when I'm being mild.

It's rather funny that you speak of someone else "throwing profanity at you" and in the same paragraph, you use a vulgar word.

I imagine it's funny because you don't see the difference between a malicious attack and a personal thought. If I called someone else a bitch that would be different, but using it to refer to myself as part of a hypothetical situation is hardly inappropriate.

Oh, and I didn't notice the forum censoring my choice of words, so if you really think it's vulgar, talk to Dani about it.

I imagine it's funny because you don't see the difference between a malicious attack and a personal thought. If I called someone else a bitch that would be different, but using it to refer to myself as part of a hypothetical situation is hardly inappropriate.

I guess.
But in my eyes, I've always seen profanity as profanity. The context of the sentence doesn't change that.

Yes, you strike me as that kind of person.

Thanks.

commented: :) +4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.