well for a start, he better have a nuke capable of going into space, have enough fuel to reach the moon, and be on target.
A little NORTH Korean psycho ain't gunna bother thinking about that is he? He probs just wanna make a boom ~ then get a pop gun (the little wooden ones with a cork in it)

Actually, the pieces from the moon would hail down upon Earth an kill many people.. the tides would indeed go crazy, and kill many people.. so, no, we wouldn't all die. But many people would.

Not necessarilly. Depends on the direction of the blast and the position of the moon in respect to the earth's orbit around the sun at the time.
If you get lucky and your bang is big enough everything gets blown clear of earth orbit.
If the bang is really big the pieces would of course be so small that whatever would make it to the earth would burn up during reentry causing some rather interesting light shows.

*North Korea

Kim Jong-il is a psycho, and I'm sure he would do this if he could.. just to kill and cause chaos.

he wouldn't. There's more important things for him to nuke. Things like South Korea, the USA, Russia, Japan, Australia, and pretty much every other country in the world except his own.

He's psychotic, I doubt anyone knows whats really going through his mind ;)

Including him, maybe?

yeah!

Indeed.

Have any of you seen his portrayal in the film Team America ?

haha.. Yea, I loved that movie. (Well, derr.. from the South Park creators :))

Who cares, if North Korea does anything U.S. troops will be on them faster than a fly on a race horse. :D

He's psychotic, I doubt anyone knows whats really going through his mind ;)

Golf. ;)

wow ive just noticed you can drag and make the quick reply box bigger?

Is that a daniweb thing or a safari thing?

>Is that a daniweb thing or a safari thing?
Why don't you read Safari 3.0's feature list and then come to a conclusion yourself?

okay, calm down...

I think you took my post the wrong way.

I can't drag the box..

> okay, calm down...
No, he won't. He is a 'respectable snob'.

:-)

Ive also noticed that Safari for XP doesnt show the ad at the bottom. Feature or bug?

We wouldn't all die bennet! , just the tides would go crazy, and screw with the sea patterns, and make low lying land masses flood.

I really hate to always go against the conventional wisdom of the pack but just how would tides go crazy? The moons gravity causes the tide. If it explodes the tides would gradually subside as the matter of the moon drifts apart.

Also fall down and hit earth? I am not all sure of that either. Asteroids are not hitting the sun? provided that the exploding moon pieces retain their velocity... OK it is possible that some pieces would slow down while others speed up.

I know the moon doesn't really rotate relative to the earth (tidal lock and all that), but what other velocities would it have that could cause directional changes to a lunar explosion?

I know the moon doesn't really rotate relative to the earth (tidal lock and all that), but what other velocities would it have that could cause directional changes to a lunar explosion?

it travels around the earth at a speed which is not so fast for it to go off into space yet not slow enough to cause it to fall onto earth. If something causes it to explode then pieces of it will attempt to go into different directions(by exploding it will be flung in different directions). every piece which attempts to go backwards(i.e. the direction from which it had come in its traveling around the earth) will slow down and i suppose eventually will fall to the earth. Come to think of it i have take back even more words. as those pieces nears the earth their gravitational effect on earth's oceans will have some effect. those effects could be tidal waves.

still to destroy the moon, a pretty huge blast is needed. remember that the moon is larger than Pluto!

lol haha the moon is more of a planet than pluto....

<humor>Shh...Don't say that out loud. You'll hurt poor Pluto's feelings.</humor>

still to destroy the moon, a pretty huge blast is needed. remember that the moon is larger than Pluto!

yes. i for one would be really surprised if the moon could be blown up by a nuke. even an american one. Also i think that there is a reasonable amount of truth in that movie where that comet came for earth and they had to put the nuke on the inside.

Armageddon?

Armageddon?

yes. that one.

by the way. in that movie. when those guys were training at the space station there was this monument with an inscription. i cant remember the inscription exactly but i think it went: ...this is in memory of all those who gave their lives so that others can reach the stars... I think that in the movie the space station was in florida(i know that USA has one space station in florida. Kenedy space station right? but do you have any others?). what i want to know is is it true? is such an inscription really written on a monument or did the movie people make it up? Because if it really does exist then i think it is really cool. Not the dying of course but the fact that humans can have that kind of attitude.

I think its real. A lot of austranauts have died in the name of science (remember that apollo blew up on the launch pad)

Uh, we don't have any 'space stations' on earth as these are in space. NASA is the nation's public space program, and it's headquarters are located in Houston, Texas. We have launch sites at Vandernberg Air Force Base in California, Edwards Air Force Base in California, Wallops Island, Virgina, and Cape Carnival Air Force Base, Florida (Kennedy Space Center). I think there are a couple other places on some islands. As for the plaque, it does exist.
http://www.answers.com/topic/apollo-1

Scroll toward the bottom and you will see:
IN MEMORY
OF
THOSE WHO MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
SO OTHERS COULD REACH FOR THE STARS

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
(A ROUGH ROAD LEADS TO THE STARS)

GOD SPEED TO THE CREW
OF
APOLLO 1

This plaque was featured in the film Armageddon.

I quite liked that film, only one i've ever stayed up past the news for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.