selfish... you don't own this thread, you know... haha... kidding... i'll play you quintoncoert... wanna be white?

Why play chess on daniweb? It would be much more interesting, faster, and exciting to play through another source. (Yahoo maybe)

what if we want to play it un-interesting, slower and un-exciting through daniweb? :D

people play chess by post (snail mail) a game can take like a year.

i also never get how N means Knight in chess notation

(i just sent you a pm by the way josh, you should get msn or something, its better than PMing)

I have AIM, MSN, and yahoo :D

Yea, why do people play chess via mail? Thats so boring! I'm impatient as hell, so there's no way I could ever do something like that.

that's why they invented phones... to stop playing chess via mail... :P

aww...come one! Chess by mail is not bad! You do not focus all your attention on it. For example you could have 20 games simultaneously and do reasonably well. (of course you would have to have 20 chess boards...)

or an amazing imagination... :D

Why do 20 chess games all at once, all very slowly? You could easily play 20 games, one at a time, in one day :)

Besides, you get more experience from playing one game at a time..

better two at a time and play 40 in one day... that way you train your concentration...

haha.. well whatever so long as your not playing some slow, boring game via mail or any communication that isn't instant.

selfish... you don't own this thread, you know... haha... kidding... i'll play you quintoncoert... wanna be white?

I dont know if this is going to work. I was stupid there for a second. We live to many time zones apart. (I live six hours before west indian time which i think is the same as new york time. sorry. i dont have an atlas close by.) But if you dont mind that then here goes...
1. e4

i also never get how N means Knight in chess notation)

K was already taken.

e5

e5

I'm confused. I thought a move had to be a pair of alphanumeric designators...starting position and ending position. Am I mistaken?

I'm confused. I thought a move had to be a pair of alphanumeric designators...starting position and ending position. Am I mistaken?

not really. you are right. but some of us use a shorter version. it is quicker to just specify the piece. usualy only one can move to the target square. it is also easier to play without a board if you specify the piece instead of a starting square.

I was mostly referring to Nichito's 'e5' opening, but thanks for the information. And have a pleasant game.

Qf6

Depends on the notation. If you're using piece and square number, the piece name is just omitted when it's a pawn, and on pawn captures it's given in the form exf4. To move to f4 with a bishop, it's Bf4. To capture a piece on f4, it's Bxf4. If you've got two rooks which can capture that square and one of them does, you need to specify which one as in Rfxf4 or R5xf4. If you have two bishops which can capture that square, I hope you've got a mating situation and are just being cute about your choice of pawn promotion...

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Qf6
3. Bc4

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Qf6
3. Bc4 Bc5

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Qf6
3. Bc4 Bc5
4. o-o

I challenge anybody here to a game of chess. PM me.

commented: Ah, number 3.. Now we're even.. so stop negatively reping people for no reason. -2
commented: stop it with the repspamming - both of you! ;) +19

Sorry for the wait Sturm. I was out of town. My next move is:

Nc6

And just to let you know, I'm really bad at the notation so just correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll gladly play anyone at chess.. but it must be instantaneous, either on yahoo games, through an IM program, etc. :)

What happened Sturm? I thought we were playing.

um sorry!

d4

your supposed to prefix the notation with a N in this case, for knight (K is taken). But anyways...

d4xe5

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.