Hi everyone,

I have some questions about building a certain website. Please bear with me as i am not vey good at building sites.

You see i need to build a site that only has a logo of a company some bold text and a few files to download. The thing is where do i put these files at.

For example if my website address is at "http://www.free.com" i want to be able to put files at a separate server at some other address and not the same as the above address. What i mean is like for example free hosting is a place where i can place my website for free but is there a place where i can place my files(something like yahoo briefcase) for free and can be accessed without the need for any kind of user authentication.

Now let's say person goes to my site
and sees a file to download and when he clicks on that link the file can be downloaded immediately by the browser.

Here's another question in that can anyone recommend any free wesite creator something like microsoft's front page but free. Any links would be great

It would be also great if someone could post some good links to some free web hosting and a free place to put some of files for download(i know there is a name for this but i don't know what they call it)

I hope someone can answer my questions

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It seems to me that you're looking for somewhere to store some public files over the web. Right? I don't know of any offhand because doing this eats the server bandwidth, so it really isn't in anyone's best interest to give away precious bandwidth for free :) You may be able to get away with an image hosting service. Not sure of any but others might be able to help you out more than I.

Free webhosting? What's that :) hehe I would check out our Hosting Offers forum where webhosts are posting deals that they can offer: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum153.html

Otherwise, post a request in our Hosting Requests forum: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/forum154.html

Hi,

You could try looking at a site called www.shareit.com

I have used these in the past.......its slightly complicated but bare with me!

I have created website templates in the past and i have submitted the files i created to shareit's FTP site. (you need to register with them first and become a member which i believe is free).

Say you have a file called 'document01', you FTP this file to shareit. It sits in an area which is specific to you. Then, you can get a piece of HTML code from your shareit control panel which you paste into your website. Say like a button that says 'download here'. When people click this button they are sent to a secure area on shareit's web page where they are given the option to download your document (document01).

Shareit is actually designed to let you sell your files over the internet. but if you change your cost settings so that the document you want people to have is free, you shouldnt have a problem. If i were you i would read through what shareit has to offer. They have an extremely useful support centre. Whenever i have emailed them i always get a long and helpful reply! They will probably be able to explain their services alot better than i can!!

Hope this helps

GR Web FX

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about building a certain website. Please bear with me as i am not vey good at building sites.

You see i need to build a site that only has a logo of a company some bold text and a few files to download. The thing is where do i put these files at.

For example if my website address is at "http://www.free.com" i want to be able to put files at a separate server at some other address and not the same as the above address. What i mean is like for example free hosting is a place where i can place my website for free but is there a place where i can place my files(something like yahoo briefcase) for free and can be accessed without the need for any kind of user authentication.

Now let's say person goes to my site
and sees a file to download and when he clicks on that link the file can be downloaded immediately by the browser.

Here's another question in that can anyone recommend any free wesite creator something like microsoft's front page but free. Any links would be great

It would be also great if someone could post some good links to some free web hosting and a free place to put some of files for download(i know there is a name for this but i don't know what they call it)

I hope someone can answer my questions

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

that depends on what you want them to download, if it is large files over 1mb you are very unlikley to find someone that will host them for free, but on the same coin, if it is a very small operation (only for a few people) you could run this operation right off of your machine with some simple tools to set up a web server, which is not that hard at all.

Also another thing to note, you could easily use Geocities to hold your files. Sure you can only upload a max file size of 1MB but then if your files are larger than that, if they are able to be broken up you could break them up into 1MB peices and upload them.

Also you will be able to have them downloaded straight from any website that you create.

now you said you needed a WYSIWYG editor (what you see is what you get) to design the site, i would recomend using google and just typing in free WYSIWYG editor and see what comes up, i know there are a whole wealth of them to be found, but i just dont know the names of them ( use dreamweaver, but i only do coding, i never use the design feature, iono, just dont like to do that).

I hope you have fun doing all of this as this can be a very exciting field, be noted though that these forums are a great place to find help for webdesign so feel free to ask! =)!

Member Avatar for Electrohead

As for the WYSIWYG editor, you could use a trial of Dreamweaver MX if the site won't take you very long... not sure if you can save and upload your sites in a trial version though? Otherwise you cud try WebDwarf. Download it free at:

http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/download.html

would recommend dreamweaver.

vark

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.