I am redesigning my girlfriends website and this time hope to use fluid layout. I have been doing research for some time now but I am not making significant progress.

I am not new to web design, HTML or CSS but after my last frustrating attempt at a site (the site I am redesigning) I feel as if I am missing some key considerations:

- The top 3 Browsers to design for
- How various User-set resolutions affect the design

I need advice on this.

I have a dummied Home page on a server which can be viewed if anyone is interested (Note: This is a very rough version and non-functional. I have live it just to test browser/resolution issues on my home machines and varied machines at work.)

http://perola-nyc.com/fluid5.htm

Thank-you in advance for any help in regards to this (I really do need it)

mattyd

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Different genres have different numbers in terms of browsers and technology, but I'll give you what I'm seeing from my DVD Catalog website. That should be the closest I have to your target.

Firefox: 44%
IE: 42%
Safari: 6%
Chrome: 5%

As for resolutions:
1024x768 26%
1280x800 20%
1280x1024 13%

Only about 3% of my users are 800x600 and each of the smaller resolutions (think: handhelds) are less than 1%.

Typically I like my sites to be optimized for 1024x768, but to make sure they still look good on larger resolutions.

HTH,
geis

commented: Thank-you +8

Design in % and ems, per W3C guidelines, and you only have to make one design, that works in every size.

commented: thanks ++ +8

Thanks to all replies. I appreciate it very much.

Designing fluid is actually really hard, because a lot of things come into play. A trick i like to use is, make sure it works in 1024 and chances are it will work on hi-res. Don't even try go as low as 800x600. Oh, i looked at your dummy site and it should be easy enough. Good luck and all the best

commented: TY +8

Designing fluid is actually really hard, because a lot of things come into play. A trick i like to use is, make sure it works in 1024 and chances are it will work on hi-res. Don't even try go as low as 800x600. Oh, i looked at your dummy site and it should be easy enough. Good luck and all the best

Thanks for your help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.