I am redesigning my girlfriends website and this time hope to use fluid layout. I have been doing research for some time now but I am not making significant progress.

I am not new to web design, HTML or CSS but after my last frustrating attempt at a site (the site I am redesigning) I feel as if I am missing some key considerations:

- The top 3 Browsers to design for
- How various User-set resolutions affect the design

I need advice on this.

I have a dummied Home page on a server which can be viewed if anyone is interested (Note: This is a very rough version and non-functional. I have live it just to test browser/resolution issues on my home machines and varied machines at work.)

http://perola-nyc.com/fluid5.htm

Thank-you in advance for any help in regards to this (I really do need it)

mattyd

Different genres have different numbers in terms of browsers and technology, but I'll give you what I'm seeing from my DVD Catalog website. That should be the closest I have to your target.

Firefox: 44%
IE: 42%
Safari: 6%
Chrome: 5%

As for resolutions:
1024x768 26%
1280x800 20%
1280x1024 13%

Only about 3% of my users are 800x600 and each of the smaller resolutions (think: handhelds) are less than 1%.

Typically I like my sites to be optimized for 1024x768, but to make sure they still look good on larger resolutions.

HTH,
geis

commented: Thank-you +8

Design in % and ems, per W3C guidelines, and you only have to make one design, that works in every size.

commented: thanks ++ +8

Thanks to all replies. I appreciate it very much.

Designing fluid is actually really hard, because a lot of things come into play. A trick i like to use is, make sure it works in 1024 and chances are it will work on hi-res. Don't even try go as low as 800x600. Oh, i looked at your dummy site and it should be easy enough. Good luck and all the best

commented: TY +8

Designing fluid is actually really hard, because a lot of things come into play. A trick i like to use is, make sure it works in 1024 and chances are it will work on hi-res. Don't even try go as low as 800x600. Oh, i looked at your dummy site and it should be easy enough. Good luck and all the best

Thanks for your help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.