I recently agreed to change hosts for a client that has a Joomla based site. I have everything setup correctly db/ftp wise but was wondering how transferring e-mail works.

Both hosting accounts are CPanel based which should make things quite simple, but I have found many conflicting reports out there on how exactly to change service over to the new host. How do I make the swap with no interruption in service and no loss of past e-mails?

Have you tried adding MX records for your new hosts to your domain name, each with a priority to match the existing MX records. Then every email will go to one email server or another. After 24 hours, transfer the email over from the old hosts and remove their MX records from your domain.

Alternatively, change the records over entirely on a weekend or at the end of the working day. It will likely have propogated locally by the morning, and definitely by the Monday if done over a weekend.

R.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.