hello everyone,

i am a software developer and have managed to create my first website but im having trouble as i would like to create a link structure and i dont know how, here are the files on my website and what i would like them to be, and if anyone could help it would mean alot to me. thanks in advance.

index.php - index.php (instead of showing index.php dont show anything)
products.php - products
applications.php - products/applications
blueniverse.php - products/applications/blueniverse

and so on, how would i do this and is it possible in htaccess at all

Nathaniel Blackburn
Shadowscape Studios

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

hello everyone,

i am a software developer and have managed to create my first website but im having trouble as i would like to create a link structure and i dont know how, here are the files on my website and what i would like them to be, and if anyone could help it would mean alot to me. thanks in advance.

index.php - index.php (instead of showing index.php dont show anything)
products.php - products
applications.php - products/applications
blueniverse.php - products/applications/blueniverse

and so on, how would i do this and is it possible in htaccess at all

Nathaniel Blackburn
Shadowscape Studios

Wait, what is your issue exactly. Are you just having issues trying to figure out how to create the navigation system for the website?

yes, that is what i am looking for, im just using htaccess but if theirs a better way then that even more awesome, thanks.

yes, that is what i am looking for, im just using htaccess but if theirs a better way then that even more awesome, thanks.

a link or a snapshot of your website will help. I could tell you where and how to put it maybe even the coding behind it.

sorry, thanks for helping and heres the problem im having in more detail for you....

currently pages are set statically for example applications.php but i would like it to be more like products/applications, i have done the following in .htaccess to acheive this...

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^products/applications$ applications.php

but when i try and visit the new url the style sheets and images are missing, if someone knows how to fix this, i would really appreciate this alot and heres the example of what im trying to explain and even if theres a better method of doing what im trying to do please share it as all your help means alot to me...

Old Url: http://shadowscape.co.uk/applications.php
New Url: http://shadowscape.co.uk/products/applications (what i would like it to be)

Nathaniel Blackburn
Shadowscape Studios

so basically you want the file extensions not to show up in the browser?

Are you creating all the pages in a static manner? How many pages do you intend to have over the next 1-2 years? Normally, such navigation links are generated dynamically through scripting and you should first work out a method that is efficient to maintain.

so basically you want the file extensions not to show up in the browser?

he pretty much wants something like a permalink

he pretty much wants something like a permalink

yes, exactly what i want thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.