When I started out I began with basic HTML, then moved to CSS. Then I began learning the newest version of both.
I would recomend learning DOM like some of the other commenters have sugjested.
Here are some books that I would reccomend for you:
- HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites by Jon Duckett
- Head First HTML and CSS by Elisabeth Robson, Eric Freeman
- HTML5: The Missing Manual by Matthew MacDonald
- HTML & CSS: A Beginner's Guide by Mitesh Dabhi
- HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition by Elizabeth Castro
- CSS3: The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland
You can find all of these books on Amazon for not to much. I own over half of these books and as someone with a learning disability I can say that they are all well written and have several examples. As books in web design and programming go I would generally recomend the Missing Manual series, Visual Quick Start books are really great, Head Frist are overy simplafied but if that is what you need then I would reccomend that, the O'Reily series is really great but more advanced, The cookbook codding books are also great but more advanced.
I would also recomend getting these books:
- Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design by Brian Miller
- The Principles of Beautiful Web Design Paperback – December 5, 2010
by Jason Beaird
- Web Designer's Idea Book, Volume 4: Inspiration from the Best Web Design Trends, Themes and Styles by Patrick McNeil
- Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills by David Sherwin
- Learning Responsive Web Design: A Beginner's Guide by Clarissa Peterson
- The Strategic Web Designer: How to Confidently Navigate the Web Design Process by Christopher Butler
You can learn the basic HTML online or read some books. For me, I learned just by reading online and viewing some basic tutorials from Youtube. I also find 3schools.com useful and you can learn from their website as well.
There is no question to answer. Unless the op comes back this is just another pointless thread where members dump all sorts of rubbish. Please refrain from posting random stuff about html. Thank you. Neg repping and downvoting awaits thoee that do.