I am a self taught web-designer, and have not had many lessons in html best practices.

I am currently making a website that uses tables for the page layout, and the elements therein. All of the pages display perfectly using Firefox and Konqueror, but when I open them in IE6, they just arent showing up right.

I found that one of the problems was a whitespace problem, that was inserting small spaces in between my graphics, but I have two pages where portions of the page are PHP generated. The HTML in these pages is identical to all other pages, and I am 90% positive that the PHP output is not sticking in extra tags that are messing up the existing HTML.

I used the table to create borders around the page, and I am finding that certain edges just arent showing up at all, yet their pure HTML counterparts are.

Also, I have read in a couple of articles here at DaniWeb that tables are a bad thing to use for layouts. Could someone explain why that is, and does my problem have anything to do with that reason.

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by VanPetrol

Download the free starter of HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS, 2nd Edition here. That should get you started and give you a good understanding. (Same position than you mate...)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.