Hello All!

I have an HP-PC using XP-SP2. I have Spysweeper with AntiVirus from WebRoot. My son was doing his homework and downloading pictures for his classroom assignment.

Well......you know the rest of this story:'(

I have attempted to run in SAFE MODE with networking and re-run my Antivirus. I have attempted to download Adaware from the lavasoft.com website. At this point I got the message '...You must have ADMINISTRATOR rights...."

Question(s):
1. Can I go and buy another AV and run it in SAFE MODE and correct this issue? If so, which AV should I get...???

2. Will I need to execute the "HiJack This" application and go through that iteration? (...I am not that saavy with REGISTRY issues...)

I greatly appreciate your assistance. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

It sounds like you have a virus that's altered your settings, or someone had been reading up on settings to lock you out.

I need to ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you and your son have different user accounts, or do you use the same one?
2. Is it Windows XP Home or Professional edition?

Let me know and we can help.

Thanks

It sounds like you have a virus that's altered your settings, or someone had been reading up on settings to lock you out.

I need to ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you and your son have different user accounts, or do you use the same one?
2. Is it Windows XP Home or Professional edition?

Let me know and we can help.

Thanks

1. There are four(4) separate accounts, myself, daughter, son, "she-who-must-be-obeyed".
2. I am running HP Home Edition.

Thanks!

Its possible that someone has changed the type of login you have from Administrator to Limited User, though no-idea why.

If you have access to another account, log in with this and look to see if your account is limited.

To do this, press Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Your Account.

Click Change the Account Type and set yourself as an Administrator.

All user accounts should be password protected, kids accounts should be monitored unless they are 16 or over.

You can administer the type of content they download, or at least tell them not to download things from dodgy websites.

I can help you further with this if you need.

If your account is OK and set to Admin, then theres an infection somewhere.

Try the hidden main administrator account:

1. Turn off your computer.
2.Power on and keep hitting F8 just after the BIOS check is complete. Select Safe Mode from the List.

If this works, try installing your software from here.

I would also recommend A Squared Free from Here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Its possible that someone has changed the type of login you have from Administrator to Limited User, though no-idea why.

If you have access to another account, log in with this and look to see if your account is limited.

To do this, press Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Your Account.

Click Change the Account Type and set yourself as an Administrator.

All user accounts should be password protected, kids accounts should be monitored unless they are 16 or over.

You can administer the type of content they download, or at least tell them not to download things from dodgy websites.

I can help you further with this if you need.

If your account is OK and set to Admin, then theres an infection somewhere.

Try the hidden main administrator account:

1. Turn off your computer.
2.Power on and keep hitting F8 just after the BIOS check is complete. Select Safe Mode from the List.

If this works, try installing your software from here.

I would also recommend A Squared Free from Here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Just to recap:

1. So on "power-on":
2. <F8> - puts me in SAFE MODE - (NO NETWORKING)
3. ReRun the SpySweeper software

At this point, I should be golden. Now, what AV do you recommend from the chains like "BestBuy or "Circuit City"? I may need to upgrade. I thought the Spysweeper from Webroot was high-speed.

when you log on in safe mode do you use the admin account. as for the Av to by, dont waste your cash, get the free stuff. AVG, has antivirus and spyware Asquared will give you a free Av, then you can back them up with adaware and spybot, However if YOU MUST buy, my recommendation is Mcafee

when you log on in safe mode do you use the admin account. as for the Av to by, dont waste your cash, get the free stuff. AVG, has antivirus and spyware Asquared will give you a free Av, then you can back them up with adaware and spybot, However if YOU MUST buy, my recommendation is Mcafee

When I logon in SAFE MODE, I use the ADMIN account. (...thus the irony of my Title of this thread...)
The problem is the system will not let me download AV from other sites. Last night I attempted to download my ISP's AV provider. I have AT&T DSL. They use Computer Assosciates(CA).

I attempted to run the CA software from the site, but thats where I got the message" must be ADMIN...download failed..."

Download them and put them on a memory stick or a disk.

you have a Trojan taking over your pc, create a new admin account and give that a try

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.