Has anyone heard of a virus that attacks the Autoexec.bat file? My machine continues to drop my Autoexec.bat file. I recreate this file, reboot, and it gets dropped everytime. I have made it a read only file and that keeps it intact. Any ideas??? This seems to be acting as a virus but it does not show up when I update and run Norton.
Firedad

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Firedad

try running the windows xp cd in restore option so it only reinstalls windows components that are missing or corrupt.

try running the windows xp cd in restore option so it only reinstalls windows components that are missing or corrupt.

Thanks
I am currently running Win 98SE.
I have spoken to the product support for the program I use and he suggested that Norton,spybot, or ad-aware may be seeing the info in the autoexec.bat file as something that is being added and is deleting them at start up. This program I use needs a command in the autoexec.bat file to run( It is an older court reporting program)
Firedad

try quarantining the file.

Not too familiar on how to do this. Will the system still be able to access the .bat file. The program I run needs too get a file from the .bat file.
Firedad

well this is a real pickle you are right though the program wouldn't run because you would pretty much make a firewall between that file and the rest of the operating system
what program do you need to run off of it i thought this was just a windows file (im not too great at anything but xp im only 15 so other operating systems are kinda old for me to be good at cause i would be like 8 or so.). Are you using me,98se,98, or 95 if any of them have system restore then i would restore back to a date maybe 1or2 days before this problem occured (this may not be possible either because you dont have system restore or because you dont have a restore point close to where you want)

well this is a real pickle you are right though the program wouldn't run because you would pretty much make a firewall between that file and the rest of the operating system
what program do you need to run off of it i thought this was just a windows file (im not too great at anything but xp im only 15 so other operating systems are kinda old for me to be good at cause i would be like 8 or so.). Are you using me,98se,98, or 95 if any of them have system restore then i would restore back to a date maybe 1or2 days before this problem occured (this may not be possible either because you dont have system restore or because you dont have a restore point close to where you want)

This program is a DOS /Windows program that requires a path to be read in the autoexec.bat file. If the file is quarantined, the "system" will not read this file, correct.
I don't care how old you are if you can help with the problem.
Firedad

you didnt answer my question of what os do you have and if there is a system restore option.

My second post: Win 98 se. Restore option not sure

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.