Basically my computer was working fine this morning and now this evening I can't open any of the files (exe)...AVG stopped working a few weeks ago I didnt think much of it but now I can't open any files nor can I run any virus detector on my comp....

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 3:48:00 PM, on 4/24/08
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\W98EJECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS_V2.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\MSN TOOLBAR\01.02.5000.1021\EN-CA\MSNTB.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [outlook] \outlook\outlook.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Intel Driver] CSRS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "c:\program files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.03.0000.1005\en-ca\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Intel Driver] CSRS.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\BITTORRENT\BITTORRENT.EXE" --force_start_minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eMuleAutoStart] C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMULE\EMULE.EXE -AutoStart
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\BITTORRENT\BITTORRENT.EXE" --force_start_minimized (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [eMuleAutoStart] C:\PROGRAM FILES\EMULE\EMULE.EXE -AutoStart (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: w98Eject.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\w98eject.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Startup: w98Eject.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\w98eject.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_13\BIN\SSV.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_13\BIN\SSV.DLL (file missing)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by120fd.bay120.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} (Facebook Photo Uploader 4 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader3.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = ppoedomain
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 192.168.2.1
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)

can anybody help me out....I do intend on purchasing a new computer in the coming weeks but Id like to be able to save some of my files :(((

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

‡‡Please print out or copy this page to Notepad since you will can not have any of browsers open while you are fixing this and try to follow it as closely as possible taking it step by step.

‡‡Update your Antivirus program.

‡‡Please download Spybot Search and Destroy install it and update the program.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

‡‡Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop. Ignore the AntiVirus warnings and download it anyway because you need to run it. Wait on installation and running.

http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4

‡‡Download CleanUp! and install it. Wait on installation and running.

http://www.stevengould.org/downloads/cleanup/CleanUp452.exe

‡‡Please download following program CWSHREDDER. Wait on installation and running.

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/online-tools/cwshredder.exe

‡‡Download about:Buster and save it to your desktop. When it has finished downloading, unzip the folder to your desktop as well. You should now be left with an aboutbuster folder on your desktop.Wait on installation and running.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/AboutBuster.zip

‡‡I would suggest though that you download CCleaner. It is a great little program that I use every time I close my browser to get rid of temporary files. I usually just run the cleaner part every time I'm done with the browser.During the install there will be check marks for checking for updates that part I do not use and also to install a tool bar for yahoo or something. Make sure those are unchecked unless you want another tool bar, It is a very safe program and it is free.(CCleaner Quick Setup: Go to > Options > Advanced > Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours" for cleaning malware. files!)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

‡‡Now make sure no files are hidden. To do this:
For XP go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View tab:
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading:
* select Show hidden files and folders.
For Vista go to the Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization
Under the Folder Options, click Show Hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm and then click OK.
You may change the above options back after your log is clean.

‡‡Turn off system restore.

Steps to turn off System Restore for XP:
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.
5. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.
After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.
Steps to turn off System Restore for Vista:
1. Control Panel -> System Maintenance -> Back Up and Restore Center
2. On the right column, click on "create a restore point or change settings" (this requires administrator's password if set)
3. Uncheck all drives.
4. Click OK.
5. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

‡‡Do all steps below in safe mode except for at the end when you generate a new HiJackThis log.

‡‡Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:

1) Restart your computer

2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8 (Repeatedly).

3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear

4) Use the up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode and press Enter.

‡‡Please run HijackThis and click "Scan". Place checks next to the following entries if still present in the code and close all browser and other windows except for HijackThis, and click "Fix Checked".

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN APPS\MSN TOOLBAR\01.02.5000.1021\EN-CA\MSNTB.DLL (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_13\BIN\SSV.DLL (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\JAVA\JRE1.5.0_13\BIN\SSV.DLL (file missing)

‡‡Run your Antivirus and do a full scan remember this is all in safe mode.

‡‡Run Spybot Search and Destroy and do a full scan remember this is all in safe mode.

‡‡Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu). Set the program up as follows:

*Click "Options..."

*Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"

*Only Check the following for now:

-Empty Recycle Bins

-Delete Cookies

-Delete Prefetch Files

-Clean up All Users

*Uncheck the following:

-Delete Newsgroup cache

-Delete Newsgroup Subscriptions

*Press the Temporary Files Tab and check.

-Scan drives for files matching

Click OK

Press the CleanUp! button to start the program. Reboot/logoff when prompted.

Note: CleanUp! deletes EVERYTHING out of your temp/temporary folders, it does not make backups. If you have any documents or programs that are saved in any Temporary Folders, please make a backup or MOVE THEM out of the Temp folder before running CleanUp! If you have a 64 bit Operating System do NOT run Cleanup and let me know as we will use another utility.

‡‡Install and run CWSHREDDER

Close all browser windows, open cwshredder.exe then click "Fix" and let it run.

‡‡Double-click on the AbouBuster.exe icon.

Click Begin scan. Close when completed.

It is advised that you run the AbouBuster twice in a row to make sure you get all the infections.

‡‡Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it(Do this a few times until nothing shows up).

‡‡Then install CCleaner but note it installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS check marked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option.

Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours

Then select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:

* Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies.

* Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.

* Clean all entries in the "System" section.

* Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.

* Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:

* Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.

* Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.

* Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.

* Clean any others that you choose.

Click the "Run Cleaner" button.

A pop-up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.

Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.

Click the "Issues" button.

Click the "Scan For Issues" button.

Click the "Fix Selected Issues" button.

Click the "Fix All Selected Issues" button.

Click "OK"

Click "Close" when done.

‡‡Reboot into Normal Mode. Turn System Restore back on and create a restore point.

Steps to turn on System Restore For XP:
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.

To create a new restore point, click on Start – All Programs – Accessories – System Tools and then select System Restore.

In the System Restore wizard, select Create a restore point and click the Next button.

Type a name for your new restore point then click on Create.

To create a Restore point for Vista:
1.Control Panel – System Maintenance – Back Up and Restore Center. On the right column, click on "Create A Restore Point Or Change Settings" (This requires Administrator's password if set.) Put a check on the drive your OS is on. Then click on the Create button. Type in a name and then click OK.

‡‡Do another scan with HiJackThis in normal windows mode and post your new log file here for final verification. Make sure it is a new log file.

Also let me know how the systems overall condition is now.

May I add this to the post by Inferno...? Fix these entries using hijackthis:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Intel Driver] CSRS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Intel Driver] CSRS.EXE
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe (User 'Default user')
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)

Good. Now delete this file:
CSRS.EXE - it is dropped by a worm.
and this file and folder:
\outlook\outlook.exe
... I think you will find them in Windows\ or Windows\system32\.
I don't know anything about Windows 98 so I cannot recommend any scans. It was before my time.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.