Hi !

My home page is hijacked to http://www.searchportal.info/10032/ web page. I did the following : I checked show all hidden files on the windows menu and turned off system restore , started in safe mode and ran, Norton antivirus 2003, spybot S & d , Ad-Aware personal SE, CCleaner, CWShredder,spy subtract and Macafee avert stinger, (all latest version). when I restarted the computer, for a moment I thought the problem is gone for the good but after opening the IE a couple of times the above home page reappeared .Just a week ago, before this latest problem I had a different hijacker the search for........ about blank. But I was able to remove that by running CWShredder and with the assistance of posts on this website. Please help me remove this nasty bug , Do you want me to post HJT log ?I am using mozilla for the time being,

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Yes, post your hijackthis log in this thread so we can see exactly what you have.

Yes, post your hijackthis log in this thread so we can see exactly what you have.

Here is the HJT log, if you do not mind me asking, how do I know that I am getting expert advice or instructions from one of your tech people , not some one else who is just a visitor to the site ? Thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:42:02 AM, on 11/13/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\inetxxx\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPWRTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Wireless Hotkey\TosHKCW.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFNF5.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\NIMALA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 3 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\NIMALA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 4 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.searchportal.info/10032/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = UQconnect
F3 - REG:win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\inetxxx\services.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: InstantChess - {40D61F04-59E4-4C8D-BF6E-697AB9C21F43} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ChessBar.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xp_system] C:\WINDOWS\inetxxx\services.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tpwrtray] TPWRTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TosHKCW.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Wireless Hotkey\TosHKCW.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFNF5] TFNF5.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] TFncKy.exe /Type 01
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00THotkey] C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [000StTHK] 000StTHK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [xp_system] C:\WINDOWS\inetxxx\services.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{713AA0E5-B42D-4B07-9A23-E95D4096F71F}: NameServer = 203.134.12.90 203.134.102.90

Here is the HJT log, if you do not mind me asking, how do I know that I am getting expert advice or instructions from one of your tech people , not some one else who is just a visitor to the site ? Thanks

one way is to check out the # of post made by the responder .its under there user name.you know if they have been here for awhile

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
Unzip HijackThis into this folder. When you run HijackThis from this folder and have it "Fixed checked" it will create a backup file of modifications to use if restore is necessary.

Have Hijack This fix the following by placing a check in the appropriate boxes and selecting fix checked. Make sure all browser and all Windows Explorer windows are closed before fixing.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.searchportal.info/10032

O2 - BHO: InstantChess - {40D61F04-59E4-4C8D-BF6E-697AB9C21F43} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ChessBar.dll (file missing)

These are optional ,as they are not needed running at startup

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

Now reboot into safe mode and delete the following files and folders if found .

C:\WINDOWS\inetxxx\..........delete this folder if found

to delete the above files and folder you will need to do the following
go to
Show hidden files & folders

"Fix Checked"...Reboot to SAFE mode to delete files
How to start computer in safe mode

reboot computer and post a new log

how do I know that I am getting expert advice or instructions from one of your tech people , not some one else who is just a visitor to the site ?

As caperjack said, a member's post count is a good indicator of their reliability (as is their length of stay here).

In terms of our members who respond to security-related questions such as yours: caperjack, dlh6213, and crunchie are three of our most active, trusted, and competent responders; they won't lead you astray.

Have Hijack This fix the following by placing a check in the appropriate boxes and selecting fix checked. Make sure all browser and all Windows Explorer windows are closed before fixing.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.searchportal.info/10032

go to

did exactly what you said except I did not delete the two optional registries that you mentioned and I also turned off the system restore before starting on safe mode. On safe mode I found the folder c:\windows\inetxxx and deleted it.when I restarted on normal mode 2 error messages came up

1) windows cannot search for c:\windows\inetxxx\services.exe, please make sure you spelt it correctly.......blablabla
when I click ok for that

2) windows cannot find c:\windows\inetxxx\services.exe in the registry,make sure you remove it from the registry or somthing

ran HJT and here is the new log

Scan saved at 10:13:21 PM, on 11/13/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://autoproxy.uq.edu.au/autoproxy.pac
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.library.ubc.ca:8000
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TosHKCW.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Wireless Hotkey\TosHKCW.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll

Reboot see what happens ,then run hijack again and post new log .

also just to check you computer ,download and run this Fully working 30 day Demo of Trojan hunter ,comes well recomended as one of the best .
http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Reboot see what happens ,then run hijack again and post new log .

also just to check you computer ,download and run this Fully working 30 day Demo of Trojan hunter ,comes well recomended as one of the best .
http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Here is the new log, I did not download trojan hunter , honestly I am scared to death about downloading anything off the net after this, hope my norton keeps the viruses away

another thing I have noticed is my font sizes of the log in window (when you restart) and all the icons of the desk top got a bit smaller, I think (do not know whether it is an illusion) but I have a feeling they are a bit bigger before, and also the computer is a bit slower to boot up and when shutting down and also when I double click to open a new programe , again this is my just my feeling but probably its normal, Thanks

Scan saved at 8:29:22 AM, on 11/14/2004

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{713AA0E5-B42D-4B07-9A23-E95D4096F71F}: NameServer = 203.134.12.90 203.134.102.90

log looks ok to me ,have you reset you home page to the orginal .

log looks ok to me...

Agreed- log looks clean.

However, HJT isn't the definitive detection/removal tool for all possible problems you might be having; you might have issues which need to be addressed with utilities other than HJT.

log looks ok to me ,have you reset you home page to the orginal .

Thanks guys, yes I reset the homepage now,looks fine for now, see what happens. Thanks

After you get it all fixed and things are working good ,Download and install these two programs to help stop Spyware...

Yes, and make sure to keep all of your anti-spyware and anti-virus programs as up-to-date as possible; new updates for many of these programs can be released quite frequently. Also- use Windows' Automatic Update function to keep current on all critical fixes/patches from Microsoft.

i have this problem too...can someone help me?i don't know how to copy the Hijack This log...

Dragonoids, you will need to start your own thread. Before you do that, however, have a look through this thread and follow the advice. It will also explain what you need to know about posting a hijackthis log:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

thanx,i have posted a new thread,can you help me?

go to

I got hijacked by searchportal.info about an hour ago. Your solution worked like a charm. Thanks for saving me untold aggravation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.