Hi, recently i got something called WindUpdates (im not sure how i picked it up) and although my windows watchdog, spyware cleaners and norton pick it up, i can not delete it at all! i am using XP and the files are stored in Program Files\WindUpdates. there are 2 processes called "winKA.exe", "WinUpdt.exe" and Comm.dll. When i try to close these processes they simply reappear (prob. cos of that dll) so my question is, how do i delete this?

many thx in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

what spyware security programs do you use try adaware and spybot search and destroy. then if the problem occurs goto star regedt32 hkey_current_user/software and then look down the list until u find this windupdate program and right and say delete

ive got spybot and still nothing :( and a search of my registry produced nothing as well. thx for trying though m8. Does anyone know another way?

Download & instal Adaware from here
& update it before scanning.
In settings under 'scanning,' have it set to
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'
In 'tweaks' under 'scanning engine' set it to 'unload recognised processes during scanning.'
Also in 'tweaks' under 'cleaning engine' set it to 'Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion' & 'let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.'
Select 'activate in-depth scan' before starting scan.
When the scan is finished select 'next.'
Remove what it finds by placing a check in the box to the left of the object. Reboot

Download & instal Spybot S&D from here. Update it before scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the install of bad activex controls that it has knowledge of. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it. Reboot

Download HijackThis from here & unzip it into it's own, permanent folder, (Not a temporary folder or the desktop (in a folder on the desktop is fine) & not directly on your hard drive).
If you have anything disabled in MsConfig, please re-enable it/them.
Start HJT & with all browser windows closed, press the scan button. When the scan is finished the scan button will change to save. Save the log to a text file, copy the entire contents of the text file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.