Hi.....Last week I discovered 3 trojan/spyware files on my computer. They were msshed32.exe, atiupdate.exe and moneyspj.exe. I found all 3 files in safe mode and deleted them. However, when I use msconfig and go to my startup, I still see msshed32 as an option to check if I want it to start up when I turn on my computer. Did I fully get rid of these files by just deleting them? Why is msshed32 still an option in my startup? I have XP Home with SP1. I have run NAV 2003, Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. They are not picking up any of these files. I also ran TrojanHunter with no luck. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Possibly it is still in the registry as an orphaned entry. You can try a scan with hijackthis and if you see it delete it using the fix button.

Download HijackThis from here & unzip it into it's own, permanent folder, (Not a temporary folder or the desktop (in a folder on the desktop is fine) & not directly on your hard drive).

Hi.....and thanks. I downloaded Hijack This and created a new folder on my desktop and put it in that folder. However, when I open it, I got the message that it appears that I am trying to open it in a temporary file. I then placed it under Program Files and opened it there and got the same message. Sorry if this is a silly question, but where should I place it so that it is in a permanent folder?

In a folder on the desktop should be fine :). Shouldn't get that message there.
You can also do the following;

Click My Computer, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Hi.....and thanks. I downloaded Hijack This and created a new folder on my desktop and put it in that folder. However, when I open it, I got the message that it appears that I am trying to open it in a temporary file. I then placed it under Program Files and opened it there and got the same message. Sorry if this is a silly question, but where should I place it so that it is in a permanent folder?

Have you unzipped it completely ,some folks run winzip ,but don't finish the unzip and try to run it from the winzip temp folder .?? just a thought

I am not using Winzip but no matter how I save it (to a folder in my program files) it still says that it is coming from a temporary folder when I try to run it??????

Don't worry, it must be a glitch :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.