I'm not completely sure this is a virus but its definately posing a significant problem for me. Basically, the other day my computer randomly rebooted and as soon as it reloaded windows(2000 pro) it would reboot again. This is a hard shut down, not done through windows just a complete system reboot. It will continue to do so until I shut the computer off completely. Even in safe mode this will happen, although rather than it happening as soon as explorer loads I usually have about 3-5 minutes to attempt to run hijackthis or something, but its never long enough to really figure out what the problem is. For all I really know this may not be a virus at all, but its kinda looking that way. Just before the system restarted the first time Internet Explorer began crashing over and over. I think thats about all the info I have, if anyone can help it would of course be great. :)

Contributors
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by pizzafiend

A virus is definitely a possibility, but dont rule out a hardware problem. Random reboots are often caused by a bad power source or an overheated processor. Check and make sure the processor's heatsink is situated properly and that thermal grease is applied to the cpu.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.