Hello everyone,

I've been having a major problem while using IE 7. I get redirected to about: blank with every click on hotmail. Even if i manage to longin sometimes, I get redirected once i click on a message to view. Additionally, with Windows Explorer, I get an error message that's trying to make me download some program (plz see the attached image).
I ran Spybot, AD Aware, my AV, and HiJackThis. The log file from the latter is also attached.
Would some please take a look at the attachments and see if s/he can offer any guidance as to how to get rid of these problems.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

For heaven's sake ignore that warning. That's a nasty wanting you to install their trojan. First thing you need to do is disable Spybot TeaTimer as it will interfere with fixes.
To do this open Spybot. Choose Mode at the top and choose Advanced Mode. Then go to the bottom and click Tools. When Tools opens Click Resident. When Resident opens take the Check Mark OUT of TeaTimer.
Close the program and Reboot the computer.
Then do the following:
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Reboot the computer.
Run a new HJT scan and save the log. Post back here with the MBA-M log and the new HJT log.
Judy

she's right, you know...

Thank you very much, Judy, for the detailed reply. I followed your instructions. Here are the files from mbam and hijackthis after mbam.

My system is stable now and IE seems to be working fine for now even on my hotmail account.

Your help is highly appreciated.
Have a great day :)

Only question I have is did you add these?
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0A10A494-05FB-48A1-950D-13B0B6BA75A5}: NameServer = 192.168.10.10
These entries indicate the DNS server on the computer and I can find no information about 192.168.10.10.

I did not add anything to either file. Is it possible that these numbers come from my router? The router IP addresses begin with 192.168.

Best regards

I did not add anything to either file. Is it possible that these numbers come from my router? The router IP addresses begin with 192.168.

Best regards

Probably is. Then the log looks ok to me.
Are things running all right?

do yo have like... 10 computers connected to your network? or you could access your router and find where the dhcp pooling addresses start. 192.168.x.x are internal networking addresses and are invisible to the internet anyway.

Hello again,

Things are working well now. THANK YOU for your time and efforts. About the network, I have 3 computers only. But, aside from that IP address line, all seems to be well.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.