I have been at this for 2 days... you know the old saying... "One step forward, and two steps back..", well that's what I feel like...

OK, so here's where I am at:
- Followed instructions and completed tasks requested before posting
- The Malwarebytes found a bunch infected files - deleted all
- No errors running MS Malicious Software removal
- Ran "repair" on WinXP SP2 using disk
- Goes to Blue screen after logging into User and trying to run
anything. The Stop error I get is:
STOP: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0xB155FB75, 0xB1269784,
0x00000000)
- Can only work in SAFE mode, but cannot get internet in SAFE

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501

I have scoured the internet looking for other things to try... I don't think this is a hardware issue, as the owner said the "blue screens" started occurring about the time of the AV2009 infection.

I gratefully appreciate any other ideas on resolving this "Blue screen" issue

Thanks! Rick jdrick@aol.com

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How do you know it was the AV2009 Trojan that you had? Do you have the MBA-M log you can post? Do you have a HiJackThis log?

Try Safe Mode with Networking.

It had the classic Antivirus 2009 "virus' have been sound on your system".. and that multicolored shield imitating the windows shield... when I finished running malwarebytes, I think it eliminated over 50 files infected...

I haven't run the Hijackthis, as I cannot get internet connection in safe mode... I think whatever's still on the computer has got my access controlled... but don't know that for sure.. I have tried booting in Safe with network, and no luck connecting

:) Update....

I have rerun the MalwareBytes program again after each blue screen and am still coming up with trojans... but I know have internet access in SAFE mode, so I am gaining on it... running McAfee and Spyware doctor now

Stay tuned...

Rick

Did you tell MBA-M to REMOVE items? And did you Reboot after running the program?
I cannot give much more advice than that without seeing logs. There are many infections which will exhibit the same symptoms but some require additional fixes. I cannot advise until I see some logs.
Some program which are run can damage the system if run without advice or run when not needed. Please find a way to post these logs.
Judy

Hi, try booting without the battery - a dead or dying battery can cause all sorts of strange problems ( I have an Inspiron 1501). If all works then you need a new battery. Good Luck!

Hi, try booting without the battery - a dead or dying battery can cause all sorts of strange problems ( I have an Inspiron 1501). If all works then you need a new battery. Good Luck!

This thread is six months old.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.