Hi,

I have an XP machine and it boots up to just before the Password Screen into windows and displays the blue screen. Just a blue screen, nothing else, and the machine is completly unresponsive.

I have tried to enter Windows in safe mode but again, it to just opens the safe mode screen, black with 4 safe mode words at each corner of the screen.

Can somebody give me some useful advice on what to do from here?

Thanks

I Run:

XP Pro SP2
2GB Ram
Centrino Duo 2.13 ghz Processor

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,
as you can post here you must have access to another PC, If you can make a CD on that machine I will offer you three choices.
1. Go to :- http://www.ubcd4win.com/ Download and make a Cd using your OS CD.
2. Go to :- http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html Download and make a CD. (from caperjack)
Take the one you make home and boot your PC with it and follow the help to repair your PC.
3. Do a windows repair from your OS CD. (You will not lose any data except windows updates that are not on your OS CD.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread148706.html Post #7
Have fun!!

Hi again,
just re-read your post,
4. Download SP3 (stand alone)(on another PC)and install on yours.
Have more fun

It cannot be a problem of SP3,the user is geting a blue screen,

Kevrsp,

Did you install any hardware driver or any application before
you started to have this problem?

Hi,

I have tried to enter Windows in safe mode but again, it to just opens the safe mode screen, black with 4 safe mode words at each corner of the screen.

at this point ,can you do a ctrl+alt +del,if so when program manger opens go file /new and type in explorer.exe see if you can get it tto open to your desktop, if so then open mycomputer and right click on the hardrive icon and go properties/tools and run a chkdsk

Hi,
"It cannot be a problem of SP3,the user is geting a blue screen,"

It is not the blue screen of death, it is a blank blue screen, just before the "log-in screen, I don't know what all the features, updates and hot fixes in SP3 are and do, but maybe there is a update or hot fix that will help with the problem.

Addition to cracerjack's post, if you can get to your desktop and open properties, put checks in the two boxes to do a complete check of the disk.
Also, before you reboot to let Windows do the disk check, go:- Ctrl,Alt,Del,

Click "New Task" tab
type in "CMD" without the " " and press "Enter"
and copy and paste this command "C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" without the " " and press "Enter"
and follow prompts to restore PC to an earlier date.

Hi all,

I appreciate the feedback on this.

The exact problem exists like this.

I turn the machine on.

It powers up and the Windows logo comes up with the loading bar, then the screen goes blank for a second and then the blue screen comes up. There is no typing on it, nothing, just blue.....

I cannot ctrl+alt+delete, just move the mouse over the screen....

I have tried to do a safe mode start but it wont start. It gets stuck at one point as previously mentioned, it remains on a black screen with each corner displaying safe mode and a bit of txt saying Windows or something on the top.
I cannot get to the desktop as the laptop will not boot to allow me to get there. I have preformed a system check and all seems to be fine.

I have not upgraded or downloaded and software or hardware/firmware etc in the last 3mths.
I was on facebook, and a link came up stating something and at that time, my anti virus/malware protection told me that something was trying to change a registry and should I allow it to proceed. I clicked no, obviously and then after 20mins or so, the desktop froze, so naturally I restarted the laptop and found myself in this predicament.

Im tech minded but not in the computer sence too much. I understand computer terms, phrases, and all that but not programming etc, not the really technical stuff so please be kind!!!!

Thanks again for the info so far.

PS

BOB: if I have a disk for XP Pro, What is the process to start the laptop using that? Is it the utilities option in Windows start up and then run from disk or something??

Thanks

Hi,
You can only repair or reinstall from your OS disk, Read my first post again, If you click on the link ubcd it will take you to a site where you can make a disk to boot and repair windows. if you click on the Knopper link, it will take you to a site to make a Linux disk to boot your PC. The other link is to a site here to tell you how you can do a windows repair from your OS CD.
I am a bit lost with your answers:-
1. Did you try "Ctrl, Alt, Del in safe mode?
2. Did you try downloading SP3?
3. How did you preform a systems check?

Hi,

I have an XP machine and it boots up to just before the Password Screen into windows and displays the blue screen. Just a blue screen, nothing else, and the machine is completly unresponsive.

Can somebody give me some useful advice on what to do from here?

Thanks

I Run:

XP Pro SP2
2GB Ram
Centrino Duo 2.13 ghz Processor

Ans:- the blue screen is the result of the corrept in the window you load the new window in the PC frist you set the booting device then load the window in the Pc

Ans:- the blue screen is the result of the corrept in the window you load the new window in the PC frist you set the booting device then load the window in the Pc

Hi,
I think the writer is trying (in his broken English) to tell you that your Windows installation is corrupt and you need to set your boot preference to Cd first, insert your OS CD and reinstall Windows.
Do not do a re installation until you have exhausted all other possibilities.

Hi,
Yes as the one post says (and bob tried to explain out of that post), is that you must set your boot device priority in your BIOS to boot on the CDdrive first then the HDD and whatever next. Now I'm not saying you dont know anything from computers but I am just explaining in case you dont know how to set it.... And the above does just about explain it all, but here is a step by step:

1. After powering up the computer (in the very first screen that appears) press Del or F1 or F2 or whatever button tells the laptop to open the bios setup utility.
2. Now these instructions might not be the exact same as what your laptop might offer (since there are so many different bios interfaces) as options but anyway... There should be a option that says boot priority or something in that sense, then choose CD drive as the primary priority.
3. press F10 or any other shortcut key that resembles save and exit. This will restart your laptop and before booting up windows it will look in the cd drive for a bootable cd (which your windows repair disk or installation disk is) and it will start the setup.
4. Follow the instructions very very carefully since this can make you loose all of your info on your hard drive if you tell it to reformat(which i did and lost all my games and music :() but anyway.... dont press r at the first screen since that will take you to a command prompt interface and unless you worked a lot with MS-DOS, you wont understand it... ok and yeah the rest is up to you to repair the XP installation..
Best of Luck :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.