I need some help-I dont know what to do! I'm trying to remove the spyware program "Spyware Guard 2008", and I've been reading on the internet about it for a couple of hours. The problem is, the virus? won't let me run the MBAM program. I have downloaded the exe file on another computer, put it on a flash drive and then put it on the infected computer, but "Spyware" won't let me even start it. I've tried deleting the files it put on under C:\\, Program Files, but it keeps saying that I can't delete that file because it's in use (I guess it's because it's running in the background). So then I opened up Task Manager, and ended that process, then I quickly went back to the Program Files and was able to delete all the files. I also immediately deleted them from Recycle Bin. Also deleted the fake one on the Add/Remove programs. But 5 minutes later, IT WAS BACK! And even had the nerve to install not just one, but THREE icons on my desktop. So then I tried to boot the computer in Safe Mode, so I could try deleting all the files then. But the computer won't let me boot in Safe Mode-says that it was improperly shut down last time (it wasn't), and then makes me reboot in Normal Mode. I don't know what to do?! What can I do to get rid of this thing if it won't let me run the MBAM removal program? I am an intermediate user, I think if I had clear instructions, I might be able to manually remove the files and the bad registry edits that it creates, but I need some really clear instructions. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Heidi

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

which the window-version you are using. r you operating window-vista or window-xp.

by the way! carry it out!!

=> may be possible that your default firewall has been disabled by the spyware-gaurd-features. sometimes when the default system-firewall get more stronger firewall then it automatically disabled. and the firewall now governed by that tool. so check it first and if so then. disable this.

=> go on the computer-manager, by using key-comb <ctrl+alt+del>

check out which the programs running and stops the programs/applications which is not your business as per you and also not related with the window. then go on the computer-utility-program and remove this from there.

=>if any of its part is running then you can not delete it. check out that its real time protection is disabled or not.

=>use it, if it does not work, then tell me about which type of window you r using. ====>xp or vista

I'm using Windows XP

I'm using Windows XP

MBA-M works perfectly well with XP.
Is that what you are asking?
See this info from their website:

Operating Systems: Microsoft ® Windows 2000, XP, Vista.

Judy

Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me figure out what to do. I've been dealing with this 'Spyware Guard 2008'. I have tried to start the computer in safe mode, and now, it won't start at all. I have tried all different safe modes, and last known good configuration, and now it won't even start in 'Normal' mode. It just keeps going through this cycle (from the black screen with the safe mode options) where it tries to start-and right after the windows logo and the progress bar come up, then it goes to a bright blue screen, all the power turns off, and then all the power comes back on, and then it comes back to the black screen with the safe mode options, and then the cycle just keeps repeating itself. I had to manually hit the power button to get it to turn off. I let it sit overnight thinking that maybe it got overheated, but when I turned it back on this morning, it just does the same thing. From what I have read, maybe the boot file has been corrupted? It did start normally before I tried to start it in safe mode. Help!!What should I do? I did not get a chance to back up my information from this computer, so I am really hoping someone can give me an option.!!!!
Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Heidi

Did you search this site and come across this post?
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread163930.html

You're lucky (I hope) - you've two methods on offer including MBAM from Jholland1964 (Judy). f you really can't run anything, then my suggested method is worth a go (well it is anyway).

Now everytime I turn the computer on, it comes on with the black screen that gives you the options for 'Safe Mode', or 'Start Windows Normally' or 'Use Last Known Good Configuration" etc, but when I pick ANY of the choices available, it tries to boot up, but then I get the quick 'Blue Screen of Death' and then it turns itself off, and then immediately turns itself back on, and then it's back at the black screen with the Safe Modes. It just goes through this cycle over and over until I pull the plug to turn it off. From what I can tell from reading on the internet, I think the boot.ini file is corrupted. I'm only an intermediate user, so I could be understanding this wrong.
Since I had a CD with the Knoppix operating system, I was able to get it to boot off of that operating system, and was able to get all my important stuff saved to my external hard drive. So, I'm thinking, at this point, that my best option is just to re-install my windows operating system again, since it seems to be completely hosed. I guess Spyware Guard 2008 won this round!!!!
If anyone has a better idea, I'm open for ideas!!!!!!
Thanks,
Heidi

heidi - you've still got my method try try if you have a second PC. That, of course, will only work if the rogue software hasn't actually destroyed your boot.ini.

But, on balance, I reckon you're right. Reinstall the system. You could try Update mode (which, if successful) won't destroy your application registrations but you MUST have first used my method to remove all SpywareGuard 2008 files.

Otherwise a fresh install. Personally I would start with FDISK --> Format --> Windows CD Boot.

Good luck

HI, HEIDI,
I'M AL IN ST.LOUIS & I CAME DOWN WITH THIS DAY BEFORE XMAS (ALSO, IT WOULD START PLAYING AN ENGLISH RADIO STATION ON MY SPEAKERS AT VARIOUS TIMES, EVEN IF I WASN'T ON THE WEB & WOULD STOP PRINTING ON THE SCREEN WHAT I WAS TYPING AFTER 6-12 CHARACTERS). I FINALLY WENT TO downloads.com & FOUND A NEW, FREE MALWARE PROGRAM CALLED "MALWAREBYTES" BY ANTI-MALWARE. I LOADED IT & STARTED A GENERAL SCAN, SUDDENLY POP-UPS FROM THE PROBLEM PROGRAM WOULD POP UP TELLING ME I HAD VIRUSES & NEEDED TO DOWN LOAD THEIR PROGRAM...TRIED TO ERASE IT BY CLICKING THE 'X' IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER, BUT, THAT WOULDN'T WORK & MORE & MORE LITTLE BANNERS POPPED UP. FINALLY, SCREEN POPPED UP SAYING SCAN IS DONE, SHOWING A BUNCH OF BAD STUFF IT FOUND & THEN ALLOWED ME TO ERADICATE THEM (DONE LAST NIGHT)...THANKFULLY, THE PROBLEM IS GONE, NO POPUPS, NO RADIO, & MY TYPING ISN'T HALTED ANYMORE...HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU...HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU & YOURS, AL IN STL

I want to thank everyone for the advice, it is much appreciated, but at this point, the computer is too far gone to do anything with. At this point, I can't even get it to start (see my post above). So I was able to get all my important stuff off the computer using the Knoppix operating system (runs from a CD). And now I've got another issue. I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP from a CD, and everything seems to go fine until I get to the part where it formats the hard drive. It gets to a certain point, and then it just abruptly loses all power, and shuts off. The first time it got about 20% formatted, the second time 10% and the last time, it only got 2% formatted before it shut down. Has anyone run into this before? I don't have a clue what to do!!!
Heidi

Sounds like a hardware problem. First thing I would look at is dust build-up inside the case, specifically on the cpu heatsink. If it's very dusty, see if you can get yourself a can of compressed air and blow out as much as possible.

I took the battery out, pressed the power key for about 15 seconds, blew some dust out of the fan area, then put the battery back in and went to the-I think it's called the setup menu- and told it to restore defaults. Then I started to reinstall the Windows XP again, but now I have one end of the laptop jacked up for maximum air flow, and it is still formatting at about 75%. That's the best it's done so far. I never had any problems with it overheating before, does the formatting process use a lot of CPU power so that it makes it get hot? I will take the bottom off and thoroughly blow the dust off when either it's through installing or it dies on me again. I've never worked on a laptop, just a desktop-is it just a matter of taking off the bottom and blowing out all the dust I see? On a laptop, is there still the heatsink grease that I should check to make sure there's enough of it?
Thanks again for putting up with all my questions,
Heidi

Heidi - glad you reached the conclusion you did¬!

Anyway, the cleanest way of starting from scratch with the PC is boot from CD (any bootable CD with utilities - if it's the Windows CD use the Repair mode).

Then FDISK the HDD which will destroy everything (by removing all existing partitions) and then Format when all your partitions are recreated. Your disk will be in a state of grace after FDISK.

If you have a Host Protected Area (an HPA partition), let us know together with details of yor hardware (esp. vendor). We would have to decide whether or not to retain the HPA because it contains software you might need. The HPA can't be easily removed. Hopefully there'll be no issue there.

Thanks for all the responses, I finally got everything re-installed again, and it seems to be working fine. I don't know what the FDISk is-I just repartitioned and reformated, hopefully I did it ok, but it seems to be fine, at this point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.