Somehow I had a new Windows Security Center messase pop up & say that Spware Guard 2008 is inactive. Don't know how it appeared and now it pops up, I can't x out of it and I can't remove fom programs. I don't know what to do.

I am not a techie and need help. Thanks.

Connie

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Did you google Spyware Guard 2008? It would seem that the web is full of advice on how to remove this malware. There is a manual method described at:
http://www.removal-instructions.com/removeSpywareGuard2008.html

This method would work if your PC is at least useable. What I would do is slightly different, but you need to be slightly techie and have two PCs.

I would remove your hard drive and put it into a USB enclosure and attach it to the second PC as an external drive. Then I would delete all the Spyware Guard 2008 files listed in the link I provided, namely:

%Windìr%\sys.com
%Windìr%\vmreg.dll
%ProgramFiles%\Spyware Guard 2008\
%ProgramFiles%\Spyware Guard 2008\conf.cfg
%ProgramFiles%\Spyware Guard 2008\mbase.vdb
%ProgramFiles%\Spyware Guard 2008\quarantine.vdb
%ProgramFiles%\Spyware Guard 2008\queue.vdb
%ProgramFiles%\Spyware Guard 2008\vbase.vdb
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Spyware Guard 2008\Spyware Guard 2008.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Spyware Guard 2008\Uninstall.lnk
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\olesys.dll
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Spyware Guard 2008\
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Spyware Guard 2008.lnk
SpywareGuard2008[1].exe
Spyware Guard 2008.lnk
spywareguard.exe
olesys.dll
wsc32x.exe
winscenter.exe
SpywareGuard2008.exe

I would then put the disk back in the original PC, boot up - ignore the error messages protesting at the missing files. Then Run a Registry Cleaner program which will pick upand remove the orphaned registry entries.

Let us know what you do and how you get on.

Please do the following:
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Save the log for posting here.
Then download HiJackThis to the desktop.
Double click to run the program. Run a Full System Scan and save the log.
Post back here with both logs.

Hi Connie

I have had the same experence. I had to download some programs
to remove the infection. You have a virus that causes a lot of trouble. You can remove it by running first this program.
(If you don't have these programs please download)

If you are running any antivirus programs they are probably disabled if not.

Download spybot
www.spybot.com

Download SuperAntispyware
www.superantispyware.com

Okay these programs will help to get rid of this nasty virus.
Email me back if you have anymore trubs, I can help.

Tkomo

=tkomo;

Okay these programs will help to get rid of this nasty virus.
Email me back if you have anymore trubs, I can help.

Tkomo

We don't work via email here at daniweb. All assistance is done within the forum itself.
Judy

The steps we recommend here will remove this threat. We are well aware here what this infection does. Since the original poster has not returned we have no idea what she has decided to do.
We need to wait for her return before offering other steps.
Judy

Hi,
I am the person who was having all the problems with "Spyware Guard 2008". Unfortunately, many of the people that tried to offer suggestions to help me evidently did not read my post in full, because everyone gave me various suggestions on how to run different programs to get rid of the malware. However, as I mentioned in my posts, my computer WOULD NOT run any of the anti-malware programs, and ended up not even being able to start up. So I ended up starting over and reformatting and repartitioning from scratch, and everything is running smoothly now. I was able to get all my stuff off the computer using a Linux OS called Knoppix that runs from the CD.
Thanks again for all the help everyone, I guess you could say that my problem is now solved.
Heidi

Hmm I was wondering if you might know of how to find out what a program is. Since you seem to know them well. This is for getting rid of this rouge. I was wondering, because I found 2 and maybe more which are "letiteyu" and "rogiwnu" and I can't google them.

Hmm I was wondering if you might know of how to find out what a program is. Since you seem to know them well. This is for getting rid of this rouge. I was wondering, because I found 2 and maybe more which are "letiteyu" and "rogiwnu" and I can't google them.

As I told mheidi, the original poster has not returned to this thread and you shouldn't post a question within an existing thread. While problems may seem similar a lot depends on your specific computer and your specific symptoms.

You need to create your own thread Ash Abe Add and give us full information. You actual post is unclear, at least to me, on what it is you are actually asking. You say you have found 2 but we don't know exactly 2 of what or what program you were using to find these 2 or why. We don't know your symptoms or your operating system either. Please begin your own thread and give us full information and one of us will be most happy to offer assistance.
Judy

Due to a lack of response from the OP, this thread is now closed. If you need it reopened, please send a PM to one of our Mods.

Include the link to the thread and detail why you need it reopened.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.