The beginning of this problem was a gay fetish virus and icon that was put on my laptop after my husband went to limewire and tried to download a song or two.
I could not find the virus until I followed some rather choppy instructions that got rid of the icon on my lap top, but not sure if the virus is gone.
Now I am at the point where I cannot get a connection to the internet on my laptop. I am using my desktop to copy virus removers than uploading them vie cd to my laptop. Nothing is working. I have tried the following:

Malware, antimalware - the quick scan does not find anything. The full scan is aborted by the nt authority shutdown.

windows malicious software remover: doesn't allow me to run it, gives me the message - service pack version of the system installed is newer than the update you are applying to it. You can only install this updte on a computer with no service pack. What the heck does that mean!!!

Super Antispyware - doesn't allow me to run it, gives me the message Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode or the windows installer is not correctly installed.

My system is not in safe mode but my tool bar is white and not the normal blue, what does that mean?

I would welcome any help or information that you may have for this matter.

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try this on the infected computer:
Open Device Manager and on the VIEW Tab, select the Show hidden devices option.
Go down to non plug and play drivers and see if there is one called TDSSserv and disable it.
Then see if you can get online. If you can then do the following;
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

If you cannot download to the infected computer then of course download to the computer you are using now, burn to a disk and then install that way on the infected computer.
Judy

Thanks.
I will try it. But let me say that I was able to download the latest copy of maleware to the infected laptop vie cd - does downloading it from the internet do a better job or will get me to the place I need to be - on line?

Just a question. I will try your advice and let you know what happens.

On by the way - how do I get to the device manager?

You would be able to update MBA-M if online. You could use the one you have that would be no problem. It just won't be updated and will be an older database on it.
If you can run it definitely do that. If that clears things enough to get online then go online, update it and run a new scan with it.
Right Click My Computer, choose properties. When System Properties opens click the Hardware Tab. When that opens click Device Manager.
Judy

Judy,
I tried opening my device manager and once there it was blank - what does that mean? Next I ran the malware again and again the nt authority shut it down. Do you have any other suggestion? Also is this still an indication that the worm (mblast, gay sex fetish) is still on my computer.

Barring this issue (unless this issue is barring me), I have tried reconnecting my laptop via our router. Here are the steps that I am taking and the results.
Control Panel
Network and internet connections
Set up a wireless network for a home or small office
Welcome to the wireless network set up wizard
Select a task:
(1)set up a new wireless network
(2)add new computers or devices to the codgie1 network
I chose (1)
Give your wireless a name:
chose: automatically assign a network key or
manually assign a network key
I chose: automatically
How do you want to set up your network?
Usb
manually
I chose manually
THE WIZARD COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
Print Network settings and enter them into each device in the following order: wireless access port (or wireless router)
each additional computer that you want to add to the network,
each wireless devide that you want to sut up (wireless printer)
What do I do with this?

Please advise.

I'm sorry, I can't advise on a wireless configuration as I have never used one. Maybe somebody else will take a look.
Judy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.