Hi i hope you could help me with this humongous problem i'm having. It started after i downloaded some application. my antivrus (mcafee 9.0) shutdown and through a process viewer i could see it kept trying to get back on(since it was using up all of CPU) but it couldn't.
task manager couldn't be accessed , it said it has been disabled my admin.
system restore was disabled! i tried restoring to "best known config" through the F8 option while booting, no luck. And then all of a sudden it boots to the login part and once i login my wallpaper loads and nothing else happens- no icons, no task bar, no response to ctrl+alt+del. only mouse pointer(which moves normally).
The WORST part: tried using safe mode and every time it finishes loading files my system restarts. tried all 3 safe mode options in fact tried all F8 options.

Now i loaded a new windows in a separate windows folder so that my old windows files are not affected (With the hope that sometime i could possibly go back to using that). i ran a virus scan(mcafee) through this and quarantined all detected viruses. However, my original windows still shows the same problem- no desktop, no safe mode etc. i have several important files which i cant lose so formatting is NOT an option. Reinstalling windows is also NOT an option mainly because Ive reinstalled windows twice in the last 4 months and i don't want to give into the virus this time. And yes, once its fixed i am switching to a new OS. Windows is a nightmare.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jholland1964

Would not getting a reply mean this problem has been solved before or would it mean i should give up?

I honestly think none of us know what to tell you here. Since you cannot get into Windows it seems you cannot run the programs needed. It sounds to me, I could be wrong, that key windows files have been damaged by whatever it was you downloaded or the attempted clean up. I cannot say for certain. Your only option may be a reformat.
Have you tried a repair of the affected Windows? The repair may keep the files you wish to keep but correct the damaged os files.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.