Hello All,
Amazingly my firefox has evidently been hijacked. I am writing this from my seamonkey browswer. In fact, various things on my computer haven't been functioning well lately.
Anyway, my firefox is oftentimes directed to some commercial site like coupon mountain, and other ad sites like maybe family circle or elle or such. I've tried engaging malware programs such as spybot, malwarebytes, hijackthis, and maybe a couple of others. The taskmanager says that spybot is running but no interface ever shows. I tried reinstalling it as well. The hijack this and malwarebytes download exe programs downloaded but the only thing that happens when i double click on them is an hourglass shows for several seconds. I made a new firefox profile which doesn't help at all. When I do a google search for something to try to fix things it often doesn't display the search or redirects to an ad site that is unrelated to the link i clicked on in the google search.
This is creepy since i thought firefox was a really secure browser. I have installed some of the addons but i thought those were secure as well.
Let me know if you can help, although you would have to tell me how to get hijackthis running first if you need one of those logs.

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Please download GooredFix from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop Download
Mirror #1
Download
Mirror #2

• Double-click GooredFix.exe to run it.
  • Select 1. Find Goored (no fix) by typing 1 and pressing Enter.
  • A log will open, please post the contents of that log in your next reply (it can also be found on your desktop, called GooredLog.txt).

Note: Do not run Option #2 yet.

OK, here 'tis....

GooredFix v1.92 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 01:48 on 19/03/2009 running Option #1 (eArmyU Student)
Firefox version 3.0.6 (en-US)

=====Suspect Goored Entries=====

=====Dumping Registry Values=====

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 3.0.6\extensions]
"Plugins"="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 3.0.6\extensions]
"Components"="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions]
"{22119944-ED35-4ab1-910B-E619EA06A115}"="c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\Firefox"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions]
"{3f963a5b-e555-4543-90e2-c3908898db71}"="C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Firefox"

Nothing showing there.

Download the HostsXpert.
Run it and press "Restore M$ Hosts File" and press "OK". Exit Program.
Note that if you have a custom host file, this will remove it.

==

1. Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
* Close SUPERAntiSpyware.

PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET

Restart computer in Safe Mode.
To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen

* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
* Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
- Close browsers before scanning.
- Scan for tracking cookies.
- Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click OK.
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click Next.
* A notification will appear that Quarantine and Removal is Complete. Click OK and then click the Finish button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click Yes.
* To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
- Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
- Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
- If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
- Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.

* Click Close to exit the program.
Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.
NOTE: Tracking cookies can be omitted from the log.

RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET

==

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Downloaded Superantispyware. Got the superantispyware.exe loaded ok, which i presume is the installer. However, upon double clicking that it exibits the same behaviour as the other spyware programs when double clicked, that is, the hourglass appears for some seconds and then nothing. I cannot find another icon on the desktop that could be the SASW run icon, which is not the installer program. I also looked on the traybar or whatever the bar is with the start menu button.

PS,..the hostexpert part went OK.

I'm gonna have to sign off for awhile as it is very late here, but I'll check back in tomorrow. Thanks Capt. Crunch for your help.

Delete the MBA-M installation file that is on your pc at present.
Go back to download MBA-M again. Click on the link to download it. Select the "Save" option.
When the panel pops up to ask you where you wish to save the file, before choosing where, rename the file. I chose "bambam" in my screenshot just as an example,
Once you have saved it, try again to install it.

Well, that name switcheroo seemed to get it to start installing. but it is hung indefinitely at the please wait while installing box. Maybe it is because a spybot box appeared and asked that a startup registry change was OK, and I chose refuse because the startup on my computer is already incredible slow. OOps,...stand by, a window just appeared from the malwarebytes, so something is happening, albeit very slowly. Trouble is, I have to take off now so I have to leave things as they are for now.
I guess I know the spybot is working in the background, even though I couldn't get a gui for it to do a scan or anything.
After some minutes, I cannot see an interface for the malwarebytes, or anything on the start tray bar. Should I try installing again and allow spybot to let a startup change be placed?

Should I try installing again and allow spybot to let a startup change be placed?

Thats what I would do :)

commented: thanks crunchie! +2

I got the malwarebytes program to install. I allowed it to be on the startup registry this time. It is on the start menu and also in the "all programs" menu list,. However, upon choosing it to run, it just makes the hourglass show for some seconds and then that is all. The program mbam.exe appears in the task manager, but again, there is no gui to be seen, although I am not for sure that there should be one there.

I ran the renamed mbam install program again and this time let spybot allow it to change the registry startup value. This time it installed into the start menu in "all programs". ( Come to think of it, maybe what the spybot was talking about was the start menu in the lower corner, and not meaning that it would start automatically when the computer starts. )

Now however, when asking malwarebytes to run, an hourglass just shows for some seconds, and then nothing happens, although an mbam.exe process then lists in the task manager window.

I tried the renaming trick for hijack this and that worked to get it to run. Here is the file....

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:08:42 AM, on 3/20/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Maxtor\Sync\SyncServices.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\atwtusb.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adbe/defaults/sb/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp_adbe/defaults/sp/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.asianet.co.th:8080
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RoboForm - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atwtusb] atwtusb.exe beta
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: RoboForm Toolbar - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1125522645083
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1190016832053
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Maxtor Service (Maxtor Sync Service) - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Maxtor\Sync\SyncServices.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - IBM Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 9376 bytes

PS,... the zonealarm lists a program called wJQs.exe in the programs list, which might have meaning. Doing a google search on it says it is bad.

You never rebooted after running MBA-M.

Please download ComboFix by sUBs from HERE or HERE

• You must download it to and run it from your Desktop
  • Physically disconnect from the internet.
  • Now STOP all your monitoring programs (Antivirus/Antispyware, Guards and Shields) as they could easily interfere with ComboFix.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a log. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log
  • Re-enable all the programs that were disabled during the running of ComboFix..

Note:
Do not mouse-click combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Run Combofix ONCE only!!

Well, between the malwarebytes and superantispyware and maybe something else, ...who knows,...the problem with firefox seems to be fixed for now. But i want to fix the problem and run the combofix application, but I don't know how to shut down all the anti malware applications that are running on my computer. I know there are several, but I wouldn't know which ones are running or not. I am including a screenshot of my taskmanager list of running programs in hopes that you could tell me what to shut down before loading and installing the combofix.

Thanks very very much for getting me this far, as I said, everything is running much better already after getting those programs loaded. But there are still some bad things happening, and sometimes I don't know if it is a fake application that is presenting things.

No screenshot visible.

Sorry for delay. Below is a list of things running. I wouldn't know how to shut off all the anti spyware and antivirus stuff that is on there unless I knew which ones to kill in the taskmanager. I researched and downloaded a seemingly very nice taskmanager program called system explorer which produced the following list of things running. Perhaps you might see some bad things in there that could be causing some other problems. Thanks!

PS, sorry about the absent screenshot, I tried to include it as an attachment because I don't know how to post a screenshot here yet.

Image Name Security CPU PID Mem Usage (K) VM Size
Explorer.EXE Safe 1836 8,708 16,956
6f9c76c5-1ed7-4078-90fc-bce8e84f5998.exe Unknown 3204 460 85,132
atwtusb.exe Pending 1964 340 1,952
avgtray.exe Safe 2240 5,060 5,352
avgcsrvx.exe Safe 1540 96 6,616
ctfmon.exe Safe 2176 568 1,064
hkcmd.exe Safe 3864 1,284 1,936
igfxtray.exe Safe 3792 320 1,832
RoboTaskBarIcon.exe Unknown 2612 2,440 2,364
Skype.exe Unknown 3916 34,276 33,960
skypePM.exe Safe 524 3,424 17,560
SynTPEnh.exe Pending 1936 2,012 3,676
SynTPLpr.exe Pending 4020 572 868
TeaTimer.exe Safe 2188 28,708 76,688
TPHKMGR.exe Safe 3960 1,072 4,036
TPONSCR.exe Safe 664 672 852
TpScrex.exe Unknown 1056 288 796
zlclient.exe Safe 2316 2,268 10,008
firefox.exe Safe 2 2564 165,932 178,552
regmech.exe Safe 3032 6,528 19,588
System Safe 1 4 112 0
smss.exe Safe 784 48 172
csrss.exe Safe 864 2,740 1,744
winlogon.exe Safe 888 2,836 6,636
lsass.exe Safe 944 1,372 4,256
services.exe Safe 932 3,592 2,204
avgemc.exe Unknown 1584 688 4,044
avgcsrvx.exe Safe 2052 88 6,472
avgwdsvc.exe Safe 1804 2,360 4,600
avgnsx.exe Safe 3156 340 3,424
avgrsx.exe Safe 388 27,712 14,820
ibmpmsvc.exe Unknown 1104 172 584
QCONSVC.EXE Unknown 568 780 908
SMAgent.exe Unknown 692 92 688
spoolsv.exe Safe 1264 1,380 3,520
sqlbrowser.exe Safe 1012 96 780
sqlservr.exe Unknown 1612 4,620 34,192
sqlwriter.exe Unknown 1476 788 1,040
svchost.exe Safe 1144 1,836 3,300
svchost.exe Safe 1224 1,552 1,948
svchost.exe Safe 1384 18,176 19,188
wuauclt.exe Safe 3492 4,192 2,412
wuauclt.exe Safe 280 6,904 6,480
svchost.exe Safe 1436 1,676 1,744
svchost.exe Safe 1564 1,904 6,264
svchost.exe Safe 1684 1,676 2,512
svchost.exe Safe 1504 268 1,660
SyncServices.exe Pending 1832 1,036 3,804
TpKmpSVC.exe Safe 1652 80 488
vsmon.exe Safe 1576 12,844 17,440
SystemExplorer.exe Safe 98 1892 2,508 18,080

Here is another thing that keeps happening from an AVG alert window, but the program doesn't allow removal of them:

"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP893\A0144192.dll";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.GL";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP893\A0144192.dll";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.GL";"Deleted"
"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP893\A0144194.dll";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.GL";"Moved to Virus Vault"
"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP893\A0144194.dll";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.GL";"Infected"
"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C49BD92C-9C3F-4BDD-866F-EAF535330B6C}\RP893\A0144194.dll";"Trojan horse FakeAlert.GL";"Infected"

avgtray.exe
avgcsrvx.exe
TeaTimer.exe
avgemc.exe
avgcsrvx.exe
avgwdsvc.exe
avgnsx.exe
avgrsx.exe

I cannot get AVG to stop. I tried through the program interface, the windows task manager, and the systems explorer taskbar. Exiting from the avg user interface closes that, but it is still running. Ending the processes from either of the task managers works for a few seconds but they start back up again automatically. I cannot find any other ways to try to make it stop. I think I was able to exit combofix before it ran. I thought it was just the installer for CF that would run first, but it seemed to be the program itself instead. It allowed me an out when the user agreement appeared.

AVG has this problem all the time. 2 choices. Uninstall it or ignore it :).

Here are combofix and HJT logs. Apologies for taking awhile to get back with it.

ComboFix 09-03-25.04 - eArmyU Student 2009-04-02 0:45:22.1 - NTFSx86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.1270.711 [GMT -4:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
AV: AVG Anti-Virus Free *On-access scanning disabled* (Updated)
AV: ZoneAlarm Security Suite Antivirus *On-access scanning disabled* (Outdated)
FW: ZoneAlarm Firewall *enabled*
* Created a new restore point

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

c:\windows\system32\mdm.exe
c:\windows\system32\uacinit.dll
c:\windows\system32\UACqslhgktm.dat
E:\AutoRun.inf
e:\recycler\desktop.ini

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2009-03-02 to 2009-04-02 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2009-03-24 02:00 . 2009-03-24 02:00 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\System Explorer
2009-03-24 02:00 . 2009-03-24 02:00 <DIR> d-------- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\SystemExplorer
2009-03-21 01:28 . 2009-03-21 01:28 <DIR> d-------- c:\windows\system32\SuperAdBlocker.com
2009-03-20 20:06 . 2009-03-20 20:06 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\Common Files\Skype
2009-03-20 02:13 . 2009-03-20 02:13 <DIR> d-------- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com
2009-03-20 02:10 . 2009-03-27 15:21 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware
2009-03-20 02:10 . 2009-03-20 02:10 <DIR> d-------- c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com
2009-03-20 02:09 . 2009-03-20 02:09 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard
2009-03-20 01:08 . 2009-03-20 01:08 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\Trend Micro
2009-03-19 12:59 . 2009-03-19 23:39 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2009-03-19 12:59 . 2009-03-19 12:59 <DIR> d-------- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2009-03-19 12:59 . 2009-02-11 10:19 38,496 --a------ c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
2009-03-19 12:59 . 2009-02-11 10:19 15,504 --a------ c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
2009-03-18 16:49 . 2009-03-18 16:53 <DIR> d-------- c:\program files\SpywareBlaster
2009-03-18 16:49 . 2009-04-02 01:00 <DIR> d-a------ c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2009-04-02 04:41 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Application Data\Skype
2009-04-02 04:04 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Application Data\skypePM
2009-03-31 21:13 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Mozilla Thunderbird
2009-03-21 05:39 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2009-03-21 00:06 --------- d-----r c:\program files\Skype
2009-03-21 00:05 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype
2009-03-19 16:16 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server
2009-03-18 05:53 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2009-03-10 20:10 118,784 ----a-w c:\windows\SeaMonkeyUninstall.exe
2009-03-10 20:09 118,784 ----a-w c:\windows\GREUninstall.exe
2009-02-16 04:11 --------- d-----w c:\program files\eMule
2009-02-09 18:57 --------- d-----w c:\program files\DivX
1998-12-09 02:53 99,840 -c--a-w c:\program files\Common Files\IRAABOUT.DLL
1998-12-09 02:53 70,144 -c--a-w c:\program files\Common Files\IRAMDMTR.DLL
1998-12-09 02:53 48,640 -c--a-w c:\program files\Common Files\IRALPTTR.DLL
1998-12-09 02:53 31,744 -c--a-w c:\program files\Common Files\IRAWEBTR.DLL
1998-12-09 02:53 186,368 -c--a-w c:\program files\Common Files\IRAREG.DLL
1998-12-09 02:53 17,920 -c--a-w c:\program files\Common Files\IRASRIAL.DLL

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" [2004-08-04 15360]
"RoboForm"="c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe" [2009-03-15 160592]
"SpybotSD TeaTimer"="c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe" [2009-01-26 2144088]
"SUPERAntiSpyware"="c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\6f9c76c5-1ed7-4078-90fc-bce8e84f5998.exe" [2009-02-17 1830128]
"RegistryMechanic"="c:\program files\Registry Mechanic\RegMech.exe" [2008-07-08 2828184]
"SystemExplorer"="c:\program files\System Explorer\SystemExplorer.exe" [2009-02-28 1870336]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"IgfxTray"="c:\windows\System32\igfxtray.exe" [2003-12-15 155648]
"HotKeysCmds"="c:\windows\System32\hkcmd.exe" [2003-12-15 118784]
"TPHOTKEY"="c:\progra~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe" [2004-03-10 94208]
"SynTPLpr"="c:\program files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe" [2004-06-16 110592]
"SynTPEnh"="c:\program files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe" [2004-06-16 512000]
"AVG8_TRAY"="c:\progra~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe" [2009-01-31 1601304]
"ZoneAlarm Client"="c:\program files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe" [2008-11-13 981904]
"atwtusb"="atwtusb.exe" [2002-04-23 c:\windows\system32\atwtusb.exe]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"DWQueuedReporting"="c:\progra~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" [2007-08-24 437160]

[hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\ShellExecuteHooks]
"{5AE067D3-9AFB-48E0-853A-EBB7F4A000DA}"= "c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASSEH.DLL" [2008-05-13 77824]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\!SASWinLogon]
2008-12-22 11:05 356352 c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\avgrsstarter]
2009-01-31 06:00 10520 c:\windows\system32\avgrsstx.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\drivers32]
"VIDC.CSCD"= camcodec.dll
"vidc.X264"= x264vfw.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager]
BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autochk *\0smrgdf c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Application Data\iolo\

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Acrobat Assistant.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Acrobat Assistant.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Acrobat Assistant.lnkCommon Startup

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnkCommon Startup

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Microsoft Office.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Microsoft Office.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Microsoft Office.lnkCommon Startup

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnkCommon Startup

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Wireless LAN Utility.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Wireless LAN Utility.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Wireless LAN Utility.lnkCommon Startup

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Wireless-B Notebook Adapter Utility.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Wireless-B Notebook Adapter Utility.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Wireless-B Notebook Adapter Utility.lnkCommon Startup

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^eArmyU Student^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^Boot Camp Training.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Boot Camp Training.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Boot Camp Training.lnkStartup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\KernelFaultCheck]
c:\windows\system32\dumprep 0 -k [X]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Adobe Reader Speed Launcher]
--a--c--- 2008-01-12 01:16 39792 c:\program files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\BMMGAG]
--a--c--- 2004-07-29 05:37 110592 c:\progra~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\PWRMONIT.DLL

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\BMMLREF]
--a--c--- 2004-07-29 05:37 20480 c:\program files\ThinkPad\Utilities\BMMLREF.EXE

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\BMMMONWND]
--a--c--- 2004-07-29 05:37 395776 c:\progra~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BATINFEX.DLL

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\mxomssmenu]
--a--c--- 2007-07-13 18:01 169264 c:\program files\Maxtor\OneTouch Status\MaxMenuMgr.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\OpwareSE4]
--a--c--- 2006-10-11 15:45 75304 c:\program files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpWareSE4.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\QCTRAY]
--a------ 2004-03-12 06:10 663552 c:\program files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\QCWLICON]
--a--c--- 2004-03-12 06:10 49152 c:\program files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\QuickTime Task]
--a--c--- 2008-03-29 02:37 413696 c:\program files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SeaMonkey Quick Launch]
--a------ 2008-12-04 18:37 106496 c:\program files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SMSystemAnalyzer]
--a--c--- 2007-11-03 15:38 820072 c:\program files\iolo\System Mechanic 7\SMSystemAnalyzer.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SoundMAXPnP]
--a--c--- 2004-04-01 14:52 1368064 c:\program files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SSBkgdUpdate]
--a--c--- 2006-09-28 16:16 185896 c:\program files\Common Files\ScanSoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdUpdate.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\TalkAndWrite]
--a--c--- 2007-04-17 18:39 2664448 c:\program files\TalkAndWrite\TalkAndWrite.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\TPKMAPHELPER]
--a--c--- 2003-10-24 02:39 897024 c:\program files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapAp.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\UC_Start]
--a--c--- 2003-09-30 18:39 36864 c:\program files\IBM\Updater\ucstartup.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\WinPatrol]
-----c--- 2007-04-19 13:33 271936 c:\program files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\atwtusb]
--a------ 2002-04-23 19:20 184320 c:\windows\system32\atwtusb.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\BluetoothAuthenticationAgent]
--a--c--- 2004-08-04 03:56 380416 c:\windows\system32\irprops.cpl

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\S3TRAY2]
--a--c--- 2001-10-12 02:32 69632 c:\windows\system32\S3Tray2.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\TP4EX]
--a--c--- 2002-09-04 04:05 53248 c:\windows\system32\TP4EX.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\TpShocks]
--a--c--- 2004-03-26 22:16 102400 c:\windows\system32\TpShocks.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\TrackPointSrv]
--a--c--- 2003-11-13 06:12 94208 c:\windows\system32\tp4serv.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\services]
"Themes"=2 (0x2)
"seclogon"=2 (0x2)
"RDSessMgr"=3 (0x3)
"RasMan"=3 (0x3)
"RasAuto"=3 (0x3)
"Irmon"=2 (0x2)
"FastUserSwitchingCompatibility"=3 (0x3)
"ERSvc"=2 (0x2)
"mnmsrvc"=3 (0x3)
"iPod Service"=3 (0x3)
"SharedAccess"=2 (0x2)
"PACSPTISVR"=3 (0x3)
"MSCSPTISRV"=3 (0x3)
"McciCMService"=2 (0x2)
"ioloDMV"=2 (0x2)
"idsvc"=3 (0x3)
"helpsvc"=2 (0x2)
"Fax"=2 (0x2)
"SSScsiSV"=3 (0x3)
"SPTISRV"=3 (0x3)
"SonicStage Back-End Service"=3 (0x3)
"ImapiService"=3 (0x3)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center\Monitoring\ZoneLabsFirewall]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000001

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile]
"EnableFirewall"= 0 (0x0)

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\att-nap\\McciBrowser.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgemc.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgupd.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Skype\\Phone\\Skype.exe"=

R0 Shockprf;Shockprf;c:\windows\system32\drivers\shockprf.sys [2005-03-22 59520]
R1 ANC;ANC;c:\windows\system32\drivers\ANC.sys [2004-06-19 9728]
R1 AvgLdx86;AVG Free AVI Loader Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys [2009-01-13 325128]
R1 AvgTdiX;AVG Free8 Network Redirector;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys [2009-01-13 107272]
R1 IBMTPCHK;IBMTPCHK;c:\windows\system32\drivers\IBMBLDID.SYS [2004-06-19 2295]
R1 SASDIFSV;SASDIFSV;c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASDIFSV.SYS [2009-02-17 9968]
R1 SASKUTIL;SASKUTIL;c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.SYS [2009-02-17 55024]
R1 ShockMgr;ShockMgr;c:\windows\system32\drivers\ShockMgr.sys [2005-03-22 4608]
R1 TPPWR;TPPWR;c:\windows\system32\drivers\TPPWR.SYS [2004-06-19 16384]
R2 avg8emc;AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner;c:\progra~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe [2009-01-13 903960]
R2 avg8wd;AVG Free8 WatchDog;c:\progra~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe [2009-01-13 298264]
R3 SASENUM;SASENUM;c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASENUM.SYS [2009-02-17 7408]
S3 LSWPCv4;Wireless-B Notebook Adapter Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtl8180.sys [2003-10-01 184832]
S3 QCNDISIF;QCNDISIF;c:\windows\system32\drivers\qcndisif.sys [2004-06-19 12288]
S3 Tp4Track;IBM PS/2 TrackPoint Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\tp4track.sys [1980-01-01 13904]
S3 WLAN; Wireless LAN Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\wlanNDS.sys [2008-02-15 52496]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{3612ae77-87d8-11dc-b8e6-000d607bc624}]
\Shell\AutoRun\command - F:\PortableRoboForm.exe
\Shell\RoboForm2Go\command - F:\PortableRoboForm.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{c10584d1-6028-11dd-b84f-000f66cf1a35}]
\Shell\AutoRun\command - E:\PortableRoboForm.exe
\Shell\RoboForm2Go\command - E:\PortableRoboForm.exe
Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder

2005-03-22 c:\windows\Tasks\BMMTask.job
- c:\progra~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BMMTASK.EXE [2004-07-29 05:37]
- - - - ORPHANS REMOVED - - - -

Notify-WgaLogon - (no file)
MSConfigStartUp-iTunesHelper - c:\program files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
MSConfigStartUp-RCUI - c:\progra~1\RINGCE~1\EXTREM~1\RCUI.exe
MSConfigStartUp-TkBellExe - c:\program files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
MSConfigStartUp-Uniblue RegistryBooster 2 - c:\program files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe
MSConfigStartUp-updateMgr - c:\program files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe

------- Supplementary Scan -------
uStart Page = hxxp://www.yahoo.com/
uSearchMigratedDefaultURL = hxxp://search.yahoo.com/search?p={searchTerms}&ei=utf-8&fr=b1ie7
uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.asianet.co.th:8080
IE: Customize Menu - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: Fill Forms - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
IE: RoboForm Toolbar - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
IE: Save Forms - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
FF - ProfilePath - c:\documents and settings\eArmyU Student\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\t6vgkoyv.march09profile\
FF - component: c:\program files\AVG\AVG8\Firefox\components\avgssff.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np-mswmp.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npgroupconf.dll
FF - plugin: c:\windows\system32\SuperAdBlocker.com\npsabffx.dll
------- File Associations -------
JSEFile=NOTEPAD.EXE %1
VBEFile=NOTEPAD.EXE %1
VBSFile=NOTEPAD.EXE %1

catchme 0.3.1367 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-04-02 00:57:02
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden autostart entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

--------------------- DLLs Loaded Under Running Processes ---------------------

- - - - - - - > 'winlogon.exe'(712)
c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
------------------------ Other Running Processes ------------------------
c:\windows\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
c:\windows\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
c:\program files\Maxtor\Sync\SyncServices.exe
c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
c:\program files\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
c:\progra~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
c:\windows\system32\QCONSVC.EXE
c:\program files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
c:\windows\system32\TpKmpSvc.exe
c:\program files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
c:\program files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
c:\program files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
Completion time: 2009-04-02 1:10:01 - machine was rebooted [eArmyU Student]
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2009-04-02 05:09:34

Pre-Run: 902,909,952 bytes free
Post-Run: 1,056,428,032 bytes free

WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

299 --- E O F --- 2009-04-01 16:07:21

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:30:53 AM, on 4/2/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Maxtor\Sync\SyncServices.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\6f9c76c5-1ed7-4078-90fc-bce8e84f5998.exe
C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\RegMech.exe
C:\Program Files\System Explorer\SystemExplorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.asianet.co.th:8080
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RoboForm - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\roboform.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atwtusb] atwtusb.exe beta
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\6f9c76c5-1ed7-4078-90fc-bce8e84f5998.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RegistryMechanic] C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\RegMech.exe /H
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SystemExplorer] "C:\Program Files\System Explorer\SystemExplorer.exe" /TRAY
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-784873669-2896618707-3503395266-500\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'Administrator')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-784873669-2896618707-3503395266-501\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe (User 'Guest')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: RoboForm Toolbar - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://c:\program files\siber systems\ai roboform\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1125522645083
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1190016832053
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Maxtor Service (Maxtor Sync Service) - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Maxtor\Sync\SyncServices.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - IBM Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 9427 bytes

Please go to Jotti's or to virustotal and have these files scanned. Post the results back here.

C:\Program Files\System Explorer\SystemExplorer.exe
c:\windows\system32\atwtusb.exe

Here are results from the Jotti's scans for the two files. The virustotal scans didn't seem to bring anything of interest either. The only thing still seeming weird is that the task manager window has lost its title bar along with the x-out exit cross that used to be on the top bar as well. The running programs on the task manager still seem to show up ok though. The firefox pages don't redirect any more since you told me to rename those antispyware programs so they would install and run. I wonder if those programs got rid of the malware.

Service
Service load:
0% 100%
File: SystemExplorer.exe
OK(Note: file has been scanned before. Therefore, this file's scan results will not be stored in the database)
MD5: 08e24667090f728d70dcba42512e275a
Packers detected:
-
Scanner results
Scan taken on 06 Apr 2009 18:11:59 (GMT)
A-Squared
Found nothing
AntiVir
Found nothing
ArcaVir
Found nothing
Avast
Found nothing
AVG Antivirus
Found nothing
BitDefender
Found nothing
ClamAV
Found nothing
CPsecure
Found nothing
Dr.Web
Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus
Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus
Found nothing
Ikarus
Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Found nothing
NOD32
Found nothing
Norman Virus Control
Found nothing
Panda Antivirus
Found nothing
Quick Heal
Found nothing
Sophos Antivirus
Found nothing
VirusBuster
Found nothing
VBA32
Found nothing

Service load:
0% 100%
File: atwtusb.exe
OK
MD5: 8ab91c9858a3662563d1718a61999b73
Packers detected:
-
Scanner results
Scan taken on 06 Apr 2009 18:19:05 (GMT)
A-Squared
Found nothing
AntiVir
Found nothing
ArcaVir
Found nothing
Avast
Found nothing
AVG Antivirus
Found nothing
BitDefender
Found nothing
ClamAV
Found nothing
CPsecure
Found nothing
Dr.Web
Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus
Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus
Found nothing
Ikarus
Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Found nothing
NOD32
Found nothing
Norman Virus Control
Found nothing
Panda Antivirus
Found nothing
Quick Heal
Found nothing
Sophos Antivirus
Found nothing
VirusBuster
Found nothing
VBA32
Found nothing

Open Task Manager and place the cursor At the very top frame then double click. Let me know if it's back to normal.

OK, thanks for help with the taskmanager. I don't know how it got to that state but double clicking brought it back.

I ran superantispyware and some others before posting to see if anything still turned up. The only thing that shows up so far, besides adware, is that spybot reports a trojan Win 32.TDSS.rtk, as below. I don't know if it is dangerous since it appears that it might be in some log file.

spybot report:

Win32.TDSS.rtk: [SBI $A6C31C87] File (File, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UACsovdyvbl.log
Properties.size=61603
Properties.md5=AF7770DA4C80DC06AC07F1B9F81A3EB0
Properties.filedate=1237477967
Properties.filedatetext=2009-03-19 11:52:46

MediaPlex: Tracking cookie (Mozilla: default) (Cookie, nothing done)

See if you can get MBA-M to run now. How is the pc anyway?

PC seems much improved. However, I tried running MB but it will not update. ZA asks to allow it to connect to the internet, then the update progress window shows, but nothing ever loads. I tried downloading a new version of MB but the problem remains, although this time the installation was allowed under the original filename. I ran it anyway and got what I think is a false positive for a trojan regxpcom.exe in the Mozilla folder.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.