I ran system restore to what was my best guess... I think combofix was installed sometime last thursday night. MBA-M is working properly i believe. It is scanning right now. My AV is now acting up, but I think a restart might help to fix that.

Thanks for the help

So MBA-M scanned...but it only scanned 250,000 files. I tried twice, but both times it said it had scanned all files?

My AV was able to scan all 650,000 or so files. But ever since I did the system restore it has said "File system Auto-Protect is not functioning correctly. Your protection definitions may be damaged or your product installation may be corrupt. I suppose I can just try to re-install it, however it was working properly before the system restore.

Thanks for the help

So MBA-M scanned...but it only scanned 250,000 files. I tried twice, but both times it said it had scanned all files?

My AV was able to scan all 650,000 or so files. But ever since I did the system restore it has said "File system Auto-Protect is not functioning correctly. Your protection definitions may be damaged or your product installation may be corrupt. I suppose I can just try to re-install it, however it was working properly before the system restore.

Thanks for the help

Think you are mistaken here, your previous MBA-M scans show it scanned 229303 files. So essentially this has not changed, well, it actually has gone up.

Are you absolutely sure the AV program said it has scanned 650,000 files? Can you give us the log from that?
You can also try the ESET Online Scanner and see what it says.
# You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
# You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program during the scan.

Sometimes, running all the tools that we did can bork things - but I didn't see any evidence of that.

For the time being, I suggest uninstalling your resident AV (don't do any surfing of the web while it is uninstalled) and run MBA-M and ESET as Judy mentioned. Then, if those are clean, we'll run Blacklight.

If all is clean, we'll flush System Restore again and then you re-install your AV and we'll see what happens....

Best Luck :)
PP

Ok I will try all that PP.

But yes, I am sure my AV always scans many more files. I don't know how to access any logs with this AV.... But I can look at the dates of all the past scans. The most recent full scans were 655,153 655,483 655,887 and 675,872.

The two where I scanned the external hard drive show 971820 and 971785.

So I suppose I hadn't looked closely enough at the MBA-M scans before....but something's not right. For as long as I can remember my AV has shown at least 600,000 files scanned.

travs1, I have approximately 1 month's worth of logs from my anti-virus program and also my MBA-M program. I have just gone through and checked all of these logs just to see how many files each one of these scans and the number is vastly different.
On average my anti-virus full system scan scans a total of 255,000 files (obviously I have a much smaller hard drive than you do)
My MBA-M program on the Full System Scan runs scans on 177,000 files. So what YOU are seeing in yours I would say is perfectly normal.

I believe the explanation for this lies in what these programs are looking for....Vastly different things really.

The anti-virus program is obviously looking for viruses mainly, some trojans and malware can be detected with an av program but generally they are looking for viruses. A computer virus CAN attach itself to many programs on the computer some which have nothing really to do with the internet, it can and does often reproduce itself. The anti-virus program scans, probably almost every single file and program on the computer or close to it. I am speaking generally here, obviously there are somethings that are not scanned by either program because they have no way of being infected or causing infection.

MBA-M is generally looking through files which can be infected by a Trojan, spyware, malware, adware. The number of files and programs which can be infected by these is much smaller. Trojans, malware, spyware, adware...cannot reproduce themselves. They can OPEN the door though. Basically they are used in order for somebody outside to access the computer. Whether it is a simple as a piece of adware to then direct your browser to specific sites where you can purchase specific items or as complicated for an actual PERSON to access your computer and steal all your personal information.

This is why you see a different number of files being scanned by the two programs. They are looking for completely different things. MBA-M is not going to look through files on a computer where what it is designed to look for and remove...Trojans, spyware, malware and adware...would never ever be. It truly would be a waste of time.

Virtually EVERY security scanner program will scan through a different number of files, because it will only look where it's target might be. Heck even anti-virus programs differ in the number of files they scan. But I would say YOUR number of files scanned with each program is very likely right "on the money" where they are supposed to be.
Judy

ok, that all makes sense. ESET scanned about 114,000. IT didn't find anything.

here is the most recent MBA-M log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2750
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

9/7/2009 9:17:16 PM
mbam-log-2009-09-07 (21-17-16).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 231849
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Looks good. You did update it I hope.

Yes I did. So should I try to download blacklight again? The website to download those from weren't working last time I tried.

Let's wait for PP to weigh in on that one, ok?

Let's wait for PP to weigh in on that one, ok?

I say go ahead . . . If it proves clean, then we'll flush the Restore Points again and re-install AV and see how it shakes out.

PP :)

Was having some trouble with Window Police Pro on a user's computer on my network. It seems i can run anything I want as long as I right click and "Run As..." using the local administrator account.

Hope it helps!

OK so I ran blacklight.

Here is the log:

09/09/09 19:46:57 [Info]: BlackLight Engine 2.2.1092 initialized
09/09/09 19:46:57 [Info]: OS: 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 3)
09/09/09 19:46:57 [Note]: 7019 4
09/09/09 19:46:57 [Note]: 7005 0
09/09/09 19:55:08 [Note]: 7006 0
09/09/09 19:55:08 [Note]: 7011 2128
09/09/09 19:55:08 [Note]: 7035 0
09/09/09 19:55:08 [Note]: 7026 0
09/09/09 19:55:08 [Note]: 7026 0
09/09/09 19:55:10 [Note]: FSRAW library version 1.7.1024
09/09/09 20:12:56 [Note]: 2000 1012

OK so I ran blacklight.

Log is fine.

Disable and then re-enable System Restore to flush Restore Points and re-install your AV and let us know how things are working.....

PP:)

Ok so I re-installed the AV and for the first day it worked fine. But then on the second day the proactive threat protection stopped working. It will still update and scan though. I'm going to have to call the school or something, because this AV has never really worked without problems. But it does update and scan now which was the main problem.

Anything else I need to do?

What anti-virus program are you running? Did your school provide this for you or something, is this why you would have to call them? I know you had Norton on there didn't you? If the school GAVE it to you, why not remove it and install a very good FREE one...Avira is excellent as is Avast.

Yea my AV is provided by the school. It is from symantec. I think that's norton isn't it? Either way, it doesn't work very well.

More importantly, at about 2:30 last night, after I had been using my computer for 3 or 4 days with no problems, windows police pro popped up again. I was able to immediately end the processes, but still.......

I ran MBA-M three times. The first time it found two things, the second 42...... and the third it found one I think.

At this point, I think I'm just going to have to re-format. I'm just afraid I'll forget to back something up. But there doesn't seem to be an end to it...

Here is the log from the second time I ran it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2759

9/14/2009 4:26:40 PM
mbam-log-2009-09-14 (16-26-40).txt

Objects scanned: 233551
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 11 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 36

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{76dc0b63-1533-4ba9-8be8-d59eb676fa02} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win Police Pro (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell (Hijack.Shell) -> Bad: (Explorer.exe logon.exe) Good: (Explorer.exe) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\svchasts.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\msvcm80.dll (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\msvcp80.dll (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\msvcr80.dll (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\wispex.html (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\i1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\i2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\i3.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\j1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\j2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\j3.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\jj1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\jj2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\jj3.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\l1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\l2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\l3.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\pix.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\t1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\t2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\up1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\up2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\w1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\w11.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\w2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\w3.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\w3.jpg (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\wt1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\wt2.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\wt3.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\logon.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rotscxscoivpmk.dll (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rotscxuflcnvhm.dat (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rotscxwqlxlapp.dll (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rotscxxehclkhe.dll (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rotscxlqmwxoeo.sys (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.

That MBA-M wasn't updated before it was run. There was a new version released on the 10th, if it had been updated then you would have received it. New version is 1.41 and your database is of course out of date, current version is 2798. Update it again and run the new version.
Frankly I would DUMP as fast as possible Norton unless you are required to use it and go with Avira FREE. I have used it for over two years and have had no problems whatsoever.

You also say you Reinstalled the Norton program....where did you get this program? Was it a NEW download or did you restore from a previously SAVED install file? THAT could be your culprit...odd that the computer was clean and then you put the Norton back on and you have the same infection + some others which weren't there before.

A majority of the infected files were image files...where did you get these?

I installed the new AV from the school's website. It should be the newest version (2009). That has been the only thing I have downloaded aside from all of the programs you all have instructed me to download. I almost never download anything otherwise. So, I have no idea where these gifs have come from.

This AV has been crapping out since they changed it in 2008. It worked fine my first two years but then they updated it and now it doesn't seem to work nearly as well. I think I will get rid of it ASAP.

And yes that was an old version of MBA-M. After cleaning it with that scan, I downloaded the new version

Here is the log from that:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2797

9/14/2009 6:32:11 PM
mbam-log-2009-09-14 (18-32-11).txt

Objects scanned: 234185
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 24 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\rotscxgepwunii (Rootkit.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I would really like to see a new HJT scan.

More importantly, at about 2:30 last night, after I had been using my computer for 3 or 4 days with no problems, windows police pro popped up again. I was able to immediately end the processes, but still.......

This is odd . . . Your machine was as clean as we could get it in a forum setting without a format.

I'm wondering if we missed something that didn't show in logs and it phoned home for backup, or it got reinstalled "drive-by" style.

I've been seeing a lot of infected machines with multiple P2P clients and figured that was the source.
But then, I've also had the "you are infected" message pop up on my compy while I've been surfing. It is a Flash screen that purports to be "scanning" my compy, but really it is flash video.
I was awfully tempted to click the link and install it just to play around with it, but I allowed good sense to prevail...LOL

I was on Philly.com at the time and I've also seen where this has popped up on the NYTimes website......

PP:)

Here is the HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:22:03 PM, on 9/15/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SmcGui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\hpq\Shared\HPQTOA~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Panasonic\LUMIXSimpleViewer\PhLeAutoRun.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Widgets\YahooWidgetEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
F:\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
F:\Hijackthis\HijackThis.com

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q106&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q106&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - {A7327C09-B521-4EDB-8509-7D2660C9EC98} - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Toolbar\3.9.0\ViewBarBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_B7C5AC242193BB3E.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Viewpoint Toolbar - {F8AD5AA5-D966-4667-9DAF-2561D68B2012} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Viewpoint\Toolbar Runtime\3.9.0\IEViewBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecGuard] C:\Windows\SMINST\RecGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Windows\CREATOR\Remind_XP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)] "f:\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /runcleanupscript
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] "C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Yahoo! Widget Engine.lnk = C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Widgets\YahooWidgetEngine.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Photosmart Premier Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: LUMIX Simple Viewer.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q106&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://learn.vt.edu
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1154561813241
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Management Client (SmcService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Smc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Access Control (SNAC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SNAC.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Endpoint Protection (Symantec AntiVirus) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: Windows Defender (WinDefend) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe

--
End of file - 13184 bytes

The last MBA-M scan didn't find anything.

And, I haven't downloaded anything except what you guys have told me to and a few powerpoint slides from some of my teachers.

I was on all innocent sites all weekend...or so i thought...

I think I was on Yahoo News when it originally popped up.....?

The last MBA-M scan didn't find anything.

And, I haven't downloaded anything except what you guys have told me to and a few powerpoint slides from some of my teachers.

I was on all innocent sites all weekend...or so i thought...

I think I was on Yahoo News when it originally popped up.....?

I'm not going to post your last entire MBA-M log where the infection showed, but take a close look at some of the files it found.....

C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\i1.gif (Rogue.WindowsPolicePro) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Not that I know that these could have been the images you downloaded, but there were 25 of these.
Did you scan each and every slide you downloaded?

but take a close look at some of the files it found....

Let's take an even closer look ;) (sorry Judy, couldn't resist....)
C:\Program Files\Windows Police Pro\tmp\images\i1.gif

And . . .If I am not mistaken, the rootkit component is a bit different this time.
I do not remember what firewall is installed, but you should make sure it monitors outgoing traffic and will alert you if malware is trying to "phone home" for reinforcements....

At his point, I think a format is called for - that way you can be sure there is nothing lingering on the machine....

PP :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.