Hey all,
I'm usually over in the C++ forum most of the time but I had a question that's been lingering for a while. I've got Windows Vista 64. I use Kaspersky AV, 2009 (v. 8.0.0.454,latest DBs) and about 3 months ago the Windows Security Alert (Red Shield with X) showed up in the system tray saying that "Windows didn't find any AV software on this computer." I went to the Kaspersky boards but folks were kind of equivocal about whether this was a bug or not.
I've ran all kinds of tests (latest MBAM which about 2 weeks ago found 2 malware exes in the recycle bin-- I presume were rogue email attachments on spam which were only chucked and never ran-- which were clean on a second scan),Ad-Aware (and a Hijack This in case it turned up something I could post it here), but everything turned up negative.
My question (so this doesn't become a novel) is whether this is a known problem with Kaspersky? or is it still possible that something has severed the ties between Windows and the AV or worse?

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

or is it still possible that something has severed the ties between Windows and the AV or worse?

It's probably just Vista being Vista....

If you haven't solved this already, you can try this:

-- Open an Elevated Command Prompt
-- At the prompt, type: net stop winmgmt ENTER

Keep the command prompt open.

-- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository
Then, either delete the Repository Folder or, better yet, Rename it to Repository_OLD

-- Go back to your command prompt and type: net start winmgmt ENTER and close the prompt.

Give it some time to rebuild and you ought to be good to go.

Cheers :)
PP

commented: Thanks for the suggestions! +1

Actually I had tried that a few months ago but I tried it again to make sure. Still no dice (of course it looks good going through start up but one of the last things that pops up is that warning). I'd be just as inclined to ignore it as I did before but I just wanted to see if it was a known problem. Kaspersky reports in as being alive and well from its own control panel. They haven't sent out an engine patch in a little while maybe this problem will be cured with the next one.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'd be just as inclined to ignore it as I did before but I just wanted to see if it was a known problem. Kaspersky reports in as being alive and well from its own control panel.

This is a known problem for many AV products - I think more to do with Security Center and Vista than the AV.

There are a few different programs available to reset Security Center, if you care to search for them.
Often, it helps if you uninstall your AV before resetting Security Center. Then, Reboot after the uninstall / run the reset tool or manually reset Security Center / Reboot again / reinstall AV product.
That often does the trick.

'Course, that is a bit of a hassle to go through when your AV is reporting that it is functioning properly.

Cheers :)
PP

Thanks for all your time PP!

Thanks for all your time PP!

You're welcome :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.