I have a feeling this one will challenge you senior techies out there bigtime -- about 2 weeks ago my IBM T21 just started spinning the hard drive CONSTANTLY whenever I would visit Yahoo sites (my mail server, for one thing) using IE6. Most all else works fine, except whenever I'm on Yahoo, the hard disc starts to grind away and it takes 5 - 30 minutes just to bring up a page, or to bring up the task manager.

About the same time this started I noticed I couldn't run Netscape 7 OR run my Norton/Symantec AntiVirus. I downloaded Ad-aware, Advanced System Optimizer, defragged the hard drive, defragged the system registry, etc. This fixed some problems with bootup times -- but IE still hosed on Yahoo. Went to Microsoft and downloaded every conceivable patch for IE6. Nothing. Loaded IE5.5 - same problem. Loaded Netscape6 -- SAME PROBLEM!! Went to the Symantec website and ran all their utilities and everything checks out "stealth". Their virus scan gave me an A+. Problem still there. Ran SpyBot S/D last night - found some stuff, deleted it. (SpyBot even deleted the stuff when I pressed "no" button... hmmmmm). Rebooted -- NO HELP. So Finally I got hold of HijackThis and ran it -- doesn't look unusual to me. Logfile is attached. I'm running IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920 with SP1 and a bunch of Q... patches. Note: I can do most anything with this laptop and it works hunky-dory, including surf NON-Yahoo URL's (occasionally I will find one that hangs slightly, but nowhere near yahoo). And as you might guess IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

First of all, moved this post to the Internet Explorer forum. Second of all, could it be a problem with a 3rd-party plugin that both Internet Explorer and Netscape use. For example, Macromedia Flash or Java - which this particular website utilizes? Perhaps the site uses an ActiveX control?

could be, that's why I downloaded the IE6 Q... patches. But the question of course is, "why did it just start having a problem...?"

Hi

Following on cscgal's post.....

Close all browser windows - run hijackthis and tick to fix :-

O16 - DPF: {231B1C6E-F934-42A2-92B6-C2FEFEC24276} (yucsetreg Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yucconfig.dll

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll

O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.napster.com/client/isetup.cab

O16 - DPF: {9CF28A69-7659-4C51-BFD5-9ADE19E19EC3} (RegConfig Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/bkm/prod/yregcfg.cab

steam

thanks but this didn't help.

i poster your problem & log elsewhere and got this response!

"Corrupted cookie(s) may be ?
Try deleting all cookies and try again."

Hi michael

Delete your temporary internet files as well.

steam

Yup make sure

O16 - DPF: {9CF28A69-7659-4C51-BFD5-9ADE19E19EC3} (RegConfig Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/instal...rod/yregcfg.cab

isn't there any more, delete all cookies, and temp internetfiles, and then up your IE security and then restart visit yahoo and see if it still happens?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.