I was online the other day and windows warned me my comp was infected and tried to start doing a virus scan (with a program I have never seen before so I quit it) and redirected me to a supposed virus software companies page so I shut down my wireless and whenever I try to bring up a program or whenever a program initiates such as rundl a block comes up warning that it is infected asking me if i want to run a virus scan or not. I cannot use spyware or norman malware, the same block comes up and even if I hit cancel the program still does not initiate. I can get online still and do normal searches but I am afraid to use any websites such as this that require me to login. I am using another laptop right now. I have hijackthis and combo fix on my comp but I don't know how I could successfully send you a hijackthis file safely. How can I get read of this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Tap F8 continually while windows boots to see the Advanced Boot Options.
Choose Safe Mode.
Hold the Windows key, and press R.
In the box, type the following: msconfig
On the startup tab disable all
On the services tab, hide all Microsoft Services, then click disable all.
Click OK.
OK to restart.
When you machine reboots, check the box to not show the configuration utility.
Hold the windows key and press R.
Type the following: cmd
In the Command Window, type the following: ipconfig /flushdns
After the resolver cache has been cleared, close the command window.
Open Internet Explorer to verify that you are not being redirected.

Download and install (Run) Malwarebytes from:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

After the install completes,
Close All Programs except Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Update Tab).
After the update completes, run a full scan (Scanner Tab).
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results.
Click Remove Selected.
Go back to msconfig and on the General tab, select Normal Startup.
Restart your computer.

If you have any problems along the way, post back here!

Good Luck.

commented: Nice direct instructions and guidlines. +0

I was online the other day and windows warned me my comp was infected and tried to start doing a virus scan (with a program I have never seen before so I quit it) and redirected me to a supposed virus software companies page (or an ad page) so I shut down my wireless and whenever I try to bring up a program or whenever a program initiates such as rundl a block comes up warning that it is infected asking me if i want to run a virus scan or not. I cannot use superantispiware, norman malware, or any other programs the same block comes up and even if I hit cancel the program still does not initiate. I can get online still and do normal searches but I am afraid to use any websites such as this that require me to login. I am using another laptop right now. I have hijackthis and combo fix on my comp but I don't know if I can successfully send you a hijackthis file. How can I get read of this?

Thank you I will do these steps. Sorry for a repost but I couldn't figure out how to delete this thread. I wanted to delete it because I thought the title wasn't adequate for anyone to respond for it. Thanks for responding!

Tap F8 continually while windows boots to see the Advanced Boot Options.
Choose Safe Mode.
Hold the Windows key, and press R.
In the box, type the following: msconfig
On the startup tab disable all
On the services tab, hide all Microsoft Services, then click disable all.
Click OK.
OK to restart.
When you machine reboots, check the box to not show the configuration utility.
Hold the windows key and press R.
Type the following: cmd
In the Command Window, type the following: ipconfig /flushdns
After the resolver cache has been cleared, close the command window.
Open Internet Explorer to verify that you are not being redirected.

Download and install (Run) Malwarebytes from:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

After the install completes,
Close All Programs except Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Update Tab).
After the update completes, run a full scan (Scanner Tab).
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results.
Click Remove Selected.
Go back to msconfig and on the General tab, select Normal Startup.
Restart your computer.

If you have any problems along the way, post back here!

Good Luck.

I was given an error code when I tried to update malwarebytes.... but I am running a full scan with it anyway.

Thank you I will do these steps. Sorry for a repost but I couldn't figure out how to delete this thread. I wanted to delete it because I thought the title wasn't adequate for anyone to respond for it. Thanks for responding!

Your Hosts file may have bogus entries. After the scan and reboot, if you find you are unable to update, or if you get redirected (especially from AV sites), let us know.

okay... thanks so much for your help the program found 1 trojan redirect and 2 trojan false warnings I believe... firefox works but internet explorer doesn't seem to be working though

If firefox is working ok, then you just need to reset IE:

hold the windows key and press r.
type: inetcpl.cpl
in the internet properties box, click Reset.

That should get you started. If you get on ok, update your Anti-Virus/malware and run full scans.

If you have more issues, post back here.

Good Luck.

commented: Very nice. +19
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.