I know this is doing the rounds and there are soloutions suggested, but when I open in 'safe mode' it still wont let me start or run anything. Any ideas, is there something I can download onto disk on my other machine that can help.
Need a quick fix even if it costs, is there a commercial fix to this ?............ THANKYOU IN ANTICIP'

The smithfraud infection doesn't usually infect a computer so badly that it can't even run anything in Safe Mode.

- How did you determine that smitfraud was the culprit?

- Do you have any indication that there might be other infections involved?

- When you say "when I open in 'safe mode' it still wont let me start or run anything", do you really mean "anything"? What exact programs are you trying to run?

- Click the "Seach this forum" button at the top right-hand side of the main Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties forum page and enter Smitfraud in the search box to view our previous threads on the subject.

- If none of those threads provide a solution, please do the following:

Download the (free) HijackThis utility:

http://www.stevewolfonline.com/Downloads/DMR/Spyware%20Tools/HJT/HijackThis.exe

Once downloaded, follow these instructions to install and run the program:

Create a folder outside of any Temp/Temporary folders for HJT and move it there now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do.

Run HijackThis, but do not have HJT fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here.

The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.