Ok this is the second forum I am writing to (First one gave me no help what so ever).

I was surfing the web looking for SNES Roms to download into my PSP. I visited www.FreeRoms.com and was prompted to download an ActiveX tool. I know I shouldn't have but I did so anyways. Soon after download I got an error msg. I quickly clicked "ok" and my Laptop froze. Soon after reboot I got to the desktop but the GUI and folders didnt load. I waited about 2 minutes and still nothing loaded up. I went to the Task Manager and it showed CPU Usage was at 100%. I clicked to "run new program" and it took 5 minutes to load AVG Anti-Virus. Running the Anti-Virus was extremely slow. After many reboots and turning off some programs on startup I was able to get the CPU Usage from reaching 100%. I took that opportunity to run: AVG, Spybot S&D, and Ad-aware. In all three scans nothing came up. I'm pretty sure that "ActiveX Tool" I downloaded is the problem (maybe not).

I ran safe mode and the problem is still there; Desktop stuck with no programs, folders and GUI, CPU Usage at 100%.

The last thing that worked was when I ran safemode, instead of clicking to log on to my account, I clicked an existing account: Administrator (I guess that was put there by WindowsXP). When I got to that account the desktop loaded fine. I ran AVG, Spybot, and Ad-aware and still no findings.

I seriously need help with this. I will be on my computer so any replies will be answered ammediatly.

Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sorry for double post.

Ok I might have found the system hog. On the Task Manager I saw that explorer.exe used up 85% of the CPU Usage. I ended that task and my usage is now at 1-2%. But still the GUI didnt load. Neither did any programs or folders. At least I can run something if I need to.

Please help.

Sorry for double post.

Ok I might have found the system hog. On the Task Manager I saw that explorer.exe used up 85% of the CPU Usage. I ended that task and my usage is now at 1-2%. But still the GUI didnt load. Neither did any programs or folders. At least I can run something if I need to.

Please help.

try system restore & go back before that time, if not, create another user & use that intead of the one you were using

Ok, I don't think I will be needing anymore help; problem fixed! :)

This is what I did:

Ran Ewido, Spybot, AVG, Ad-aware, Cleanup!, Trend Housecall Online Scanner, Panda Online Scanner, and many more. Also ran Ewido on safe mode. The problem still came up until I decided to remove the Network Card. Then ran Ewido again and Presto! No virus. I'm not sure but I think being on the internet while recieving the annoying pop-ups wouldn't allow me to remove the viruses. I don't think I recommend this solution because I am not an IT expert but, why not give it a try, it didn't harm my laptop.

I guess there is no need for further help. If any "Geek" would like me to post my Updated HJT Log (to check if virus is completely gone) then I will. Other than that: Thanks for nothing! I'm just fooling. :lol: I understand there are many people with many problems just like me. I guess I was just fortunate to solve the problem on me lonesome.

Laters.

Hi ElGringo, welcome to DaniWeb :D

Congratulations on getting your system functioning properly again!

It is often recommended to disconnect from the net and boot into Safe Mode when removing malware, though actually removing the NIC card is unnecessary.

Go ahead and post your HijackThis log and we'll have a look to make sure everything is clean. Post the Ewido log as well, if you saved it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.