hey there

My AVG keeps popping up with msdirectx.sys virus on my c:/ and it won't remove it. So I have tried AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido & Counterspy - all updated, to try and find it and remove it, but to no avail. I have searched the internet for instructions on how to remove and none seem to be working.
I can keep deleting the msdirectx.sys file over and over but I have no idea what the main file is to finally remove it from my system.
It seems to be using up my memory as my hard-drive is continually tinkering away when I am not even doing anything. It used to continually keep my internet ticking over as well but my firewall (zone alarm) seems to be stopping it from doing that at the moment. I have cleaned out all my Temp folders, cookies, and the prefetech folder but it doesn't seem to be where the virus is located.

I'm not very familiar with HiJackThis so if I posted the log would someone maybe able to see something in it I can't that could help fix the problem? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Please post your log :).

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:32:32 PM, on 15/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\csrssa.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Lund\My Documents\My Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

red_chikita,

let's do the following:

===============

When we're done cleaning off your system, I'd recommend that you install all the critical windows updates available from Microsoft, up to service pack 1. This will help to make your system more secure and prevent many 'problems' from reoccurring in the future.

===============

Please visit at least two of the following sites for an online virus scan:

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.
When it completes, post back the full filename of any files that cannot be cleaned or deleted.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

===============

Let's look for, and delete, any program segments (prefetches) that might be present, and are associated with the 'problems' we're trying to remove from your PC. To do this, let's:

1) Click "Start | Search", then search for each of these program's base name(s), in all files and folders:

csrssa.exe*

2) Then if any are found in the 'prefetch' folder, delete them.

Look closely, since the 'base' name will have a bunch of random numbers and letters attached to it.

===============

Next, Open a command prompt by:

1. Clicking "Start", then "Run...".
2. Enter "cmd" (without the quotes).
3. Enter "services.msc" (without the quotes).

-

Now, locate and 'stop' the following services, if present:

Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem ... (csrssa.exe)

Look carefully, since the name of the service (above) can be anywhere in the entry; also be careful not to 'stop' any required system services. Once stopped, set this service to disabled.

===============

Run HiJackThis then:

1. Click "Open the Misc Tools Section"
2. Click "Open Process manager"

-

Next, while holding down the CTRL key, locate (if present) and click on (highlight) each of the following:

Now double-check and make sure that only those item(s) above are highlighted, then click "Kill process". Now, click "Refresh", check again, and repeat this step if any remain.

===============

Still in HiJackThis, click "Scan", then check(tick) the following, if present:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [ Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem] csrssa.exe

Now, close all instances of Internet Explorer and any other windows you have open except HiJackThis, click "Fix checked".

===============

Locate and delete the following item(s), if present. Make sure you are able to view system and hidden files/ folders:

files...

-

Note that some of these file(s)/folder(s) may or may not be present. If present, and cannot be deleted because they're 'in use', try deleting them in "Safe Mode".

-

Reboot.

===============

After rebooting, rescan with hijackthis and post back a new log. Please let me know how your pc is now.

Thanks for the help :) Very much appreciated!

Sorry I have been slow to reply!

I followed all the steps and the computer is running a lot better now it's gone!

Here is a new HJT Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:26:56 PM, on 17/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hptskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Lund\My Documents\My Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1124191642342
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Copy the part in bold below into notepad. Save it as unlegacy.reg (set filetype to "All Files")

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MSDIRECTX]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MSDIRECTX]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\msdirectx]

Doubleclick the file you made and confirm you want to merge it with the registry.

============

Now that your system is clean, I'd recommend that you install all the critical windows updates available from Microsoft, up to service pack 1. This will help to make your system more secure and prevent many 'problems' from reoccurring in the future.

===============

Congratulations! Your log looks clean - good work!

===============

Now that your PC is clean you need to follow these easy steps to keeping it this way:

Secure your Internet Explorer by going here and following the instructions there.

Better yet, use an alternative browser! Download FireFox and give it a run. It is far more secure than Internet Explorer. Or, you can get Opera which in my opinion, is better still.

Use a firewall to help prevent your PC's control being usurped by undesireables. There is a link to a good, free firewall in my signature.

Install and keep updated, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot S&D.
Run them both on a regular basis, following the manufacturer's recommendations.

Install an anti-virus. There are some good, free AV's available today. Make sure that it is updated regularly and have it scan your system often.

Check for Windows Updates. Microsoft regularly post updates for your systems safe running. Make sure to take advantage of this. Reboot when installed and return to make sure there are no others.

Clear your Temp folders.
Clear out your Temporary internet files and other temp files.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel >Internet Options.

Under the General tab click the Delete temporary internet files,
delete all Offline content as well. Clear out Cookies.

Also, go to Start > Find/search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all -> File > delete.

Empty/delete the entire contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one. (Contents but not the folder itself.)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\

In order to view these files you may have to select 'show hidden files/folders.' Instructions on how to here.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

For XP users.
After something like this it is a good idea to Flush the Restore Points and start fresh.
To flush the XP system Restore Points.

Go to Start>Run and type msconfig. Press enter.

When msconfig opens, click the Launch System Restore Button.
On the next page, click the System Restore Settings link on the left.

Check the box labelled 'Turn off System restore'.

Reboot. Go back in and Turn System Restore Back on. A new Restore Point will be created.

Note that all previous restore points will be lost.

===============

If you have any more problems, post back.

-

Happy surfing,

crunchie.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.