--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I have a big problem with IE.

When I open up IE it gives me a blank home page with "about:blank" on the address line. I want to configurate my home page to be yahoo.com or whatever.

Here's the kicker, i go into <Tools><Internet Options> and change my homepage to yahoo.com on the address line. Sounds simple, but when I close IE and restart IE again, it won't even start up. IE would appear for 2-3 seconds before it disappears and there would be an error message box saying "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. bla bla bla" I have the option of "Send error report" or "Don't Send"

Therefore, here is my hijack log. Please help me with this problem. Thank you!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:39:36 PM, on 10/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\UEVURVIA\command.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spyware tools\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O23 - Service: Command Service (cmdService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\UEVURVIA\command.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

Ok, here's another log.

Scan saved at 4:54:32 PM, on 10/14/2005

Running processes:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.com/
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O23 - Service: Command Service (cmdService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\UEVURVIA\command.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

1. Your HJT logs look very incomplete. Are you sure that you are posting the full contents of the log files?

2. Your versions of Windows XP and Internet Explorer are very out-of-date. Please use Windows' Automatic Update feature to at least get your system upgraded to the most current state of Service Pack 1; I'd hold off on going to Service Pack 2 until we're sure that your system is entirely clean.

Once you've installed the Windows updates, run HJT again and post the new log.

1. Your HJT logs look very incomplete. Are you sure that you are posting the full contents of the log files?

2. Your versions of Windows XP and Internet Explorer are very out-of-date. Please use Windows' Automatic Update feature to at least get your system upgraded to the most current state of Service Pack 1; I'd hold off on going to Service Pack 2 until we're sure that your system is entirely clean.

Once you've installed the Windows updates, run HJT again and post the new log.

Ok, i just did a windows update and it updated and downloaded a bunch of stuff. On to the hijack log. I ran the log by clicking on "Do a system scan and save a log file". Is there something else I should be doing? I ran the log after I changed the homepage to yahoo.com, but when I close IE and restart it, it would appear for a couple of seconds and disappear. It would show an error message box. Because of this, I can't start up IE unless I go into the line below and check mark and click "fix checked". I would restart IE again and it would start up with a blank page with an about:blank address.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.com/

Scan saved at 4:49:14 AM, on 10/15/2005

Running processes:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ss4gsx.exe reg_run
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exeR0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.