is there anyone that can walk a beginner thru this.
the windows safe mode virus is keeping me from opening in safe mode
and running any antivirus programs, etc.
i am unable to do anything that i am currently capable of doing myself.

Split from this thread --> http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread351289.html

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

is there anyone that can walk a beginner thru this.
the windows safe mode virus is keeping me from opening in safe mode
and running any antivirus programs, etc.
i am unable to do anything that i am currently capable of doing myself.

-- Are you able to access Task Manager? (ctrl-alt-del)
-- Can you get a command prompt that way?
-- Do you have a flash drive to download some tools to from a working computer?

Let us know and we'll have a whack at this - I'll be back this evening.

Cheers :)
PP

task manager - no, doesnt work
command prompt - only way to get that, is starting into - safe mode with c prompt.
(although i dont really know what i can do from there)
no flash drive, but access to work computer to put stuff onto a cd

task manager - no, doesnt work
command prompt - only way to get that, is starting into - safe mode with c prompt.
(although i dont really know what i can do from there)
no flash drive, but access to work computer to put stuff onto a cd

OK - We can work with that. No worries.

-- Can you get Safe Mode with Networking?
-- What options do you get when you tap F12 on boot?

Can you burn an ISO? You may need a free tool such as ImgBurn to do this.

You'll need to prepare the TWO following CDs:

Please put the following on CD 1:
- MBAM
- Combofix.exe

Please burn the following ISO to CD 2:
- bitdefender-rescue-cd.iso

Let me know when you're all set and we'll have a whack at this.

Cheers :)
PP

I suggest you to boot of from a Linux LiveCD and recover all of your sensetive data to new discs or even a external HDD drive.

Then, format you computer and split your maind drive into half (or whatever you think that looks best). One of the halfs will be for system only, installed apps and things like this. Other, will be for downloads, personal data, files, projects and everything that fits.

So, you'll always need to take more care with your data: if you get a virus, something go bad with the OS, you can re-install it and still have your data untouched. But a good anti-virus (and kept up to date), plus a firewall, is the best solution. Ever.

commented: great advice. +2

+1 to renan. this is why frequent backups, frequent virus scans, and intelligent web browsing are necessary. don't be too attached to your current OS install... you should always be willing to reformat your HDD and reinstall. destruction and reconstruction are always faster and more satisfying than repair.

+1 to renan. this is why frequent backups, frequent virus scans, and intelligent web browsing are necessary. don't be too attached to your current OS install... you should always be willing to reformat your HDD and reinstall. destruction and reconstruction are always faster and more satisfying than repair.

Encouraging reformat and reintsll when running cleaning tools have shown to remove infections is really not what we recommend here. You are implying the poster did not do frequent scans or use intelligent web browsing, hardly a way to provide assistance.

Encouraging reformat and reintsll when running cleaning tools have shown to remove infections is really not what we recommend here. You are implying the poster did not do frequent scans or use intelligent web browsing, hardly a way to provide assistance.

Seems a bit. But, what I said seems to be misunderstood. I don't think that always format and reformat are the solution, but sometimes is the ONLY solution. Keeping the real valuable data away from the main install disk (or partition) seems to be the best way, since in the case that nothing else works, you don't loose anything important.

A safe browsing is always the first step on a secure system. The second is a powerful firewall plus a powerful anti-virus. The problem is that some people might don't know what they're downloading, and that is the problem. Sometimes the fake is too real that it doesn't seems like a fake (:

I can also suggest that, if you don't want problems with your downloads, make all of them inside Linux. Why? Because a Windows virus has no effect on a Linux enviromnent. So you can, theorically, download everything you want from Linux, scan, and just them run on Windows. You can use a virtual machine too, just make sure it can't access the host file system, otherwise will be waste of time.

commented: Let PhilliePhan do his work. -2

I got this virus on my computer, then i follow manual guide:
[ After 3 hour's scanning, manual removal, finally i got this virus away,aha~

Unapproved link has been removed. If you post here concerning removals then you need to follow the steps that we request here on this website. The site that you posted contained spam and possible malicious files

http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/viruses-spyware-and-other-nasties/threads/134865

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.