Hi there,

Ok, I just recently upgraded to a new 64 bit SATA RAID system & the person who put it together took forever LOL

There was something wrong w/ the XP drivers or something.

Anyway, I'm on XP now instead of 2000 with 1 G Memory & I can't remember the HD stats, but I know it's over 70 GB.

Yes I run Anti Vir & Spybot & Spyware blaster & even Scan Spyware.

I use FF, not IE & I have ZA always running.

What are the problems I'm having you ask?

1. Even w/ the new system, I still have to reboot every 48-72 hrs. & Outlook seems to crash every so often at times when e-mail is coming in, everything else siezes. I can't X out of a window or do much of anything until the mail has settled in.

Yes, I always have a lot of stuff open, but I had a ton of stuff open on the smaller system & I seem to have more problems w/ this one.

2. I woke up yesterday & it looks like my computer just rebooted on its own. Scary sh*t.

3. My system just went off electrical power & went on to my APC & I was sitting right here & all the lights are on, so I know there's nothing wrong w/ the electricity. It's not even raining outside for a change.

4. Some times my HD just runs & runs for like 30 minutes straight.

Pls. help me, I'm getting nervous about this.

Thanks & I hope everyone is enjoying their wknd.

Michelle :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ep2002

Go to My Computer and r-click the C: drive, select Properties, then select tools, try doing a defrag first, then if the problem continues, try checking for errors, or you can search for errors first, but it will take longer.

Ok, I did that, but I'm still having problems. I go to find a file in the dialogue box & I'm pressing the little yellow file folder "up" button & when it goes from a drive to My Computer, it hangs for about 10 seconds.

Also, what is this root kit virus & how do I get rid of it if I have it. Anti Vir is not picking it up.

Michelle

Oh Oh! Rootkit, that's not good at all. Try this site: http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/scan_unhackme.html The unhackme program, that you use, from the above site, is a trial version.

Also, download Ewido, and scan your computer with it after you try the above site. You can download a trial version of Ewido here: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Be sure you update it before using it, and when it finds a problem, be sure to select the check box to do the same action (clean) when it finds a problem, otherwise, you will have to click continue, to keep scanning with every problem it finds.

what is this root kit virus & how do I get rid of it if I have it. Anti Vir is not picking it up.

There are many "rootkit" variants, but if you have no reason to suspect that you are infected with one, I wouldn't worry about that for now.

The problems you're describing, especially given the fact that the system is newly-built, really sound like hardware/driver/etc. issues instead of symptoms of malicious infections. Are there any error/warning messages in the System and/or Application logs in the Event Viewer which might shed some light on the cause(s) of ht eproblems?

Ok, I never said I had it, I was wondering how I would know if I did have it b/c I heard the anti virus programs aren't picking it up.

How can I use Ewido when I already have Anti Vir on the system. I thought you can't run more than one program at a time.

Michelle

Oh Oh! Rootkit, that's not good at all. Try this site: http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/scan_unhackme.html The unhackme program, that you use, from the above site, is a trial version.

Also, download Ewido, and scan your computer with it after you try the above site. You can download a trial version of Ewido here: http://www.ewido.net/en/

Be sure you update it before using it, and when it finds a problem, be sure to select the check box to do the same action (clean) when it finds a problem, otherwise, you will have to click continue, to keep scanning with every problem it finds.

No errors other than the memory error the other day & every since I switched from OE to Outlook, Outlook has caused problems when I am scrolling to file an e-mail or even when it loads, it takes forever & I don't feel it should on the new system.

I tried to upload a screenshot of what happens, but I don't think it attached :(

Michelle

There are many "rootkit" variants, but if you have no reason to suspect that you are infected with one, I wouldn't worry about that for now.

The problems you're describing, especially given the fact that the system is newly-built, really sound like hardware/driver/etc. issues instead of symptoms of malicious infections. Are there any error/warning messages in the System and/or Application logs in the Event Viewer which might shed some light on the cause(s) of ht eproblems?

I haven't used IE in ages.

What do you mean check it off?

My computer doesn't know which e-mail program I'm using?

Michelle

Maybe check in IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/and select the email program you are using.

Yeh all these online scanner programs only work on IE & I don't want to open it. :(

Also it says I shouldn't use it on a productive computer &* I'm not sure I want to take a chance, as I need this baby intact :)

Thanks

Michelle

Ewido will run with other virus programs running.

Also, I forgot to mention, that this problem I also had on the old system.

I copy & then paste & it won't work or, in MBs (usually only in these sites) I copy, paste & then it deletes from my clipboard. I have to literally copy each time I want to paste my post into multiple MBs.

With my system prior to the last one, I never ever had that problem.

Michelle

And another problem is when I'm in the middle of filing an e-mail & e-mail comes in, it seizes up the computer & the box where I'm filing in goes wonky & I have to close it down & re-open it again.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.