I think I have a few trojans on my home pc! I don't really know where to start! My friend has had a look and said it looks like I've maybe got at least 3 trojans. How do I find out what they are and get rid of them. Any assistance would be great.

Thank you
katie mason

Hi Katie and welcome to Daniweb forums :).

Presuming you are using W2K or Xp, please do the following;

Download HijackThis self-extracting zip version from here. Once downloaded, double click on the file & it will install into it's own, permanent folder.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

==

Please download the trial version of Ewido anti-malware here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Install it, and update the definitions to the newest files. Do NOT run a scan yet.
Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site:
http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Once in Safe Mode, please run Ewido, and do a full scan. During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK.

Save the logfile from the scan. Restart your computer in normal mode and please post the Ewido scan. (Don't forget the Hijackthis log :))

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.