Also says unable to establish physical address DMR. Do you think i should phone my service provider?

Do you think i should phone my service provider?

Yup, that was going to be my next suggestion.

Some providers use the MAC (physical) address of your NIC as part of their verification/authentication process, and although your ipconfig output shows a valid MAC address, the NTL install routine looks like it's having some problem in that area.

Give NTL a shout and let us know what they have to say. I'm logging off for the night now.....

Hi DMR i have a question for you. I have an engineer coming to fix my the motherboard on my computer. As i still have not managed to get back online after you successfully cleared the infection do you think this faulty motherboard could be stopping me from making a connection??

Thanks

Mmm... that wouldn't be my first suspicion, given that the NIC is at least picking up the NTL DHCP server IP. Did you ever get an NTL tech on the phone?

No NTL said the connection was there but i still cant connect?? Its driving me mad as im paying these idiots for nothing really.

Hi DMR also Ntl claim the connection is fine they believe i have a corrupt DHCP client which is preventing me from connecting. Not sure what this means?

No NTL said the connection was there but i still cant connect??

I don't doubt that the connection (that is, the basic communication link between their equipment and your modem) is there, but that has nothing to do with the higher-level issue of the software installation error which you are receiving. I was hoping that they could offer advice as to the causes of and resolution to that particular error.

Hi DMR also Ntl claim the connection is fine they believe i have a corrupt DHCP client which is preventing me from connecting. Not sure what this means?

Possible, I guess. The DHCP client is a component of Windows' networking software which handles the automatic aquisistion of IP addressing info from another machine such as your ISP's DHCP server or a broadband router. The software can get corrupted, although it's difficult to verify that possibility directly as there are usually no specific error messages, etc. to that effect.

1. If you are running any firewall software (including Windows' built-in firewall), disable it. Please note that simply choosing the "Disable" option in the firewall program's settings/preferences does not always turn a firewall off entirely; you will need to deselect the preference setting that tells the firewall to automatically start when Windows boots, and then restart the computers. After reboot, verify that the firewall is indeed disabled.
Keep your firewalls dropped until you get things working.

2. Try to repair your TCP/IP stack with the WinsockXPFix utility. Download and usage instructions are here.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Do the "ipconfig /all >"%userprofile%"\desktop\ipconfig.txt" dance again; post the contents of the new ipconfig.txt file.

5. Run the NTL install CD again and let us know the results.

Hi DMR still no joy in connecting to the net. I have posted the ipconfig txt below. Whilst on to the NTL "helpline" the guy told me to go to services.msc and start the DHCP client(as it was not running) but i got the following error message:

Could not start the DHCP client service on local computer.

error 1083:The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

He claims this is my problem??

Anyway heres the log as requested:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chopper
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-B0-36-2B

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : USB Cable Modem 351000
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-9B-EB-3B-AF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Thanks

...the guy told me to go to services.msc and start the DHCP client(as it was not running) but i got the following error message:

Could not start the DHCP client service on local computer.

error 1083:The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

He claims this is my problem??

Ok- so something in your services configuration has gotten whakced; that gives us something to work with. While "this is my problem" isn't exactly true, the error message at least indicates where the real problem might lie.

Please do the following:

* Open HijackThis and click the "Config..." button in the right-hand corner of hte main HJT window (don't run a scan, though).

* Click the "Misc Tools" button.

* Put a check in both of the following option boxes: "List minor ...", and "List empty ..."

* Click the "Generate StartupList log" button.

This will generate a report file named StartupList.txt, which should automatically be displayed in a Notepad window. Copy-n-paste the entire contents of the file in oyur next post.

Hi DMR after having the engineer come round to fix my computer he strongly suggested i reistall my whole system as he performed numerous checks and found no way of establishing a connection. So thats what i have done after backing up some data that i really needed. I am now back online but i wanna thank you for all your time and efforts in helping me i would never have got rid of that virus if it werent for you. Anyhoo thanks again and all the best

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.