Tekmaven 258 Software Architect Team Colleague

HijackThis is a [free] program designed to scan your computers settings for things related to spyware and adware. HijackThis will not delete anything initally; it will just report on what it finds.

You can download directly from here. Save it to a place like your desktop, and run it. When the utlility starts up, press the "Scan" button. When the scan completes (it should be pretty quick), you'll notice that the "Scan" button becomes a "Save Log" button. Push the "Save Log" button, and save the log to your hard drive.

When you save the log, HijackThis opens Notepad and displays the newly created log file (with the results of your scan). In notepad, go to Edit -> Select All, and then Edit -> Copy.

Jump here, to TechTalkForums.com's IE Tech Support section, and start a new thread to plead your case. Give a short summary of your problem, then type [CODEx] (remove the x from it; if I post this without the x, it will be parsed improprely by the forum system), paste your HijackThis Log File, and then type [/CODEx] (again, remove the x).

The next step is fun, waiting - for a reply to your thread :lol: .

If you are running Windows XP, before you apply any changes, I reccomend that you create a system restore point. A guide to this is located here.

When someone replys to your thread, they will list the lines to delete (or, I call it 'dump' ;) ). Simply go back into the HijackThis window, and check the box next to each line. When you are done, click "Fix Checked", and then restart your PC.

If problems persist, go back to the start, otherwise your done :!:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.